1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Change from GF1 to EP-2 just for the art filters?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by wojtek, Aug 9, 2010.

1. wojtek

wojtek New to Mu-43

Aug 9, 2010
    I just received my GF1, maily bought it for the Pana 20mm with the thought of trying it out and if I don't like it getting the EP-2 and selling GF1 body and EP2 kit lens.

My main points of contention were no evf (i know it's an addon.. but if i'm spending the cash i'd get the EP2 for the better resolution) and creative filters.

I like to take photos, I don't like spending 2+ hrs in lightroom post processing after a day out.

I'm mainly interested in black and white and cross process, the B&W on GF1 is decent, but I would like more contrast, I can't seem to dial it in high enough (am I a freak?)

The shutter noise on the GF1 is also a fair bit louder than I expected.

I have keen buyer for the GF1 and kit oly lens, so I'm really $300 out of pocket if I upgrade, I just would like to hear from EP-2 users if they find the art filters useful or just more of a gimmick?

2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Never used them myself but I prefer PP. Funnily I'm selling my E-P2 and G1 bodies for a newly purchased GH1. I have not taken to the smaller bodies as much as I thought I would.

3. wojtek

wojtek New to Mu-43

Aug 9, 2010
    the GF-1 is more of a pocket/travel shooter for me, I have the dslr for all other tasks...

I guess this goes out to the ep-2 owners, can you manage any of the parameters of the art filters?

4. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    I wish someone would hack the G1/GF1 raw files to make them look like Olympus raw files... we would then be able to use Olympus Viewer to give us the Olympus colour signature and apply the Olympus Art Filters to Panasonic raw files.

The Art Filters are worth having - definitely not a gimmick... although they are to be used sparingly and in sympathy with the subject.

Cheers

Brian

5. shinobi

shinobi Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2010
    IMHO, for an advanced Photoshop user, these filters are for "amateurs". Furthermore, shooting with art filters requires slow processing by the camera, while you wait :). It's better to do it later in Viewer 2 for example.

However, I like playing with the art filters for video. Now that is something else, and I particularly like the B&W. Video is choppy at best, but it adds to the effect of vintage.

For still pictures, and if one has Photoshop, there are lots of ready-made actions that can give all kinds of effects. How about an effect like the 300 movie ? Or tens of different types of cross-processing ? Different B&W conversions, sepia, vintage ? And the list goes on. These actions process fast, works for any camera, and best of all is that some allow control - i.e. change effect according to taste, or on selective parts of the image, etc.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Maczero

Maczero Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2010
    Fife
    You could try a software plug-in like ColorEfex Pro which will give you an awful lot of what the Filters will and more besides. It may be cheaper than changing the camera body. Unless you prefer the Olympus interface, of course.

I agree with Brian about the Panasonic jpegs to some extent, but they're not necessarily that bad either. There's plenty of scope for tweaking. On the other hand, the My Colour Mode in the GF1 doesn't appear to be a patch on the art filters. My 2d.

Andrew

7. wojtek

wojtek New to Mu-43

Aug 9, 2010
    Don't get me wrong, I do use PS and recently lightroom as well. I have used the canned 300 presets and modified to suit the photo/mood as well as creating a few generic one to add what I'm after to most photos.

The key point is, for the kinds of photos that I'll be taking with these pocket rockets I don't want to have to run them through LR, hell I'll probably be shooting JPG :eek: I want to be able to shoot and share :thumbup:

I took the plunge, ordered an EP2 however I'm really liking the B&W mode on the GF1. I hope the EP2 is on par if not better than the GF1, then i wont feel soo bad about the $$$

that said... damn do I love this lens/camera combo

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/11561841@N06/4897096739/" title="Untitled by wojzilla, on Flickr"> 4897096739_33710f05a6. "500" height="281" alt="" /></a>

• Like Like x 2
  8. shinobi

shinobi Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2010

Ok, understood, you just want to point and shoot and share :). Anyway, it is moot already since you bought the E-P2, so just have fun ....

9. flipGTO

flipGTO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    You might actually miss the on-board flash in the GF1. I know its come in handy many times for me. I just wish Panasonic would trigger Olympus and Metz wireless flashes like the E-PL1 does.

10. Briar

Briar Mu-43 Regular

Jun 13, 2010
    Bonnie Scotland
    Nothing wrong with being an "amateur"! :eek:, I use the art filters frequently on my e-pl1, but get more pleasure from post processing software because I feel I have more creative input into the final image. Post processing isn't for everyone though so its great these filters are available on the pen series. Not sure the art filters alone are a good enough reason to make the change though.

Cheers, Briar

• Like Like x 1
  11. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    I went the other way. I had both a GF1 and an E-P2, and ended up staying with the GF1.

Art filters, while really really fun and cool, just weren't in use enough to accept the other trade-offs. With a little work, everything can be recreated in post (and with even more creative control), aside from applying the art filters directly to movies (which I'm sure you could do, but would be a lot of work).

It's a very subjective and personal decision as to what features you like of one versus the other as they are really more similar than they are different. In the end, I preferred the Panny for its handling, lighter weight, better screen, much better AF (speed and accuracy), flash, ability to focus in low light, and general lens preferences. The E-P2 was/is still very strong in other respects like creative modes, cool style, a little better ISO performance (though for me, high ISO was meaningless if it could lock focus), and IBIS.

• Like Like x 1
  12. shinobi

shinobi Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2010
    Sorry, I did not mean it that way ... I was just trying to be subtle, but it seems it did not work :blush:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Briar

Briar Mu-43 Regular

Jun 13, 2010
    Bonnie Scotland
    That's ok ... no apology needed. :smile:

Cheers, Briar

14. Jonkobeck

Jonkobeck Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2010
    New York City
    I couldn't agree more. I cant believe all the concern over this. IMO the filters are gimmicky. Just shoot raw, and do your own color correction and get the most out of your files. every time you shoot jpegs, you are throwing away a big chunk of data. I also use Photoshop, unless it's a simple adjustment then I'll do Lightroom

• Like Like x 1
  15. wojtek

wojtek New to Mu-43

Aug 9, 2010
    I feel that my point may have been missed, for serious photo sessions its D300 with lightroom, photoshop. However, I'm getting frustrated with lugging 8+ kg every time I travel (D300 + glass + laptop). The :43: seems like a perfect travel camera, good camera to throw in the bag.

I tend not to have time to post process when I get home, I'm not after exhibition quality photos, just a step up from happy snaps.

Ive found the film modes on the GF1 to be pretty poor apart from B&W, my question was are the ones on the EP-x any better.

16. kiynook

kiynook Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2010
    I have not used Art Filters on my E-P2. I prefer to concentrate on taking the best possible shot in RAW and then apply Art Filter in post processing. I am a learner so post processing is very necessary for me as I cannot make every single shot spot on.

I have not acquire touch-up skills so only use Olympus Viewer 2.

I am planning to take RAW + JPEG shots so I can do basic HDR on post processing. Once ok with basic, I will switch E-P2's bracketing and take my HDR skills to next level.

:smile:

17. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Jump straight in to bracketed exposures rather than manipulating a single RAW file. The results will be way better.

18. Jonkobeck

Jonkobeck Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2010
    New York City
    No, Jpeg files are always noisier and have less data then the the original raw file. bracket your raw files for superior results.

19. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

That's what I meant but didn't make it clear.