Change appearance of autofocus point on an Olympus camera?

After having selected a focus point using the arrow keys and half-pressing the shutter button, the screen on my E-M5 (and other Olympus cameras I have tried) shows the four corners of the focus point in dark grey. I find this hard to see, especially on dark backgrounds. On Panasonic cameras, it shows them as white with a black border, making the focus point visible on both light and dark backgrounds.

Is there any way to change the colour/appearance of the focus point on Olympus cameras?

Growltiger

Mu-43 All-Pro
Menu A2, AF Area Pointer. Set it to On2. (I think this is the default.)
When you half-press, you see the area in bright green.

Ah, that menu option is not available on the E-M5. I have found it in the manual of the E-M1 ii.

Does the green box stay on? On my E-M5 it disappears after half a second (regardless of whether I keep the shutter button half-pressed or not).

(To be more clear: I want the focus point to be visible before I press the shutter button. If it only appears after half-pressing the shutter button, it's too late and I have to move the focus point and focus again.)

Last edited:

Growltiger

Mu-43 All-Pro
It comes on when focus is acquired. Then it stays on with setting On2. With On1 it doesn't stay on. (E-M1 II).
It wouldn't make sense for it to be on before you have acquired focus, it is telling you where the focus is. So it takes into account having many focus points, C-AF etc.
If you really can't see it then half press for a moment and then half-press again. But I can see it even with the lens cap on.

Yes, on a purely black background I can see the indicator well, because it's dark grey. (Or is it green? I can't tell because I'm colour blind...) But in most other circumstances I have to look really hard to find it. Apparently that's how it works on Olympus cameras. Not a problem for many people, and I might get used to it as well.

I'd love to be able to cherry-pick my favourite features of Panasonic's and Olympus's firmwares. Just give me a Panolympus already. ;)

Thanks! Judging from the manuals, the E-M1 ii and E-M1X seem to be the only Olympus cameras where you can configure this colour. Good to know that they implemented this. :)

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
For your E-M5 go to Menu *A, (2nd page) & go down to AF Iluminat. & turn it ON & then you'll see the green outline when AF is confirmed.
All the advice about the E-M1 II isn't always that helpful as the Menu has advanced since the E-M5 (but I still have mine & can try it).

For your E-M5 go to Menu *A, (2nd page) & go down to AF Iluminat. & turn it ON & then you'll see the green outline when AF is confirmed.
All the advice about the E-M1 II isn't always that helpful as the Menu has advanced since the E-M5 (but I still have mine & can try it).
Thanks for chiming in. I have that option turned on. My question was actually not about the AF confirmation, but about the "passive" indication of the focus point location in single-area AF mode (the indicator that is always visible, even before you perform autofocus, which is shown as the four corners of the AF area). Sorry for not making that clearer in my posts.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom