Chances of E-M1 Mk II getting 4K stills and Post Focus?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    What do we think are the chances of a Mk ll E-M1 getting features like the GX-8's
    4K stills and Post Focus.

I'm tempted by these two features alone to consider a GX-8.

I have an E-M1.
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Neither of these features would interest me. More DR and lower noise is where my expectations are. More resolution wouldn't be a bad idea either. Hand held hi-res would probably deliver all that.
  3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Is it clear what post focus is exactly? Since the sensor tech is traditional I'm guessing it's a form of focus bracketing, which the E-M1 is getting in firmware. I would also say chances of a 4K photo mode are good for an E-M1 mark II, but it's a ways off
  4. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    I just watched the Panasonic video on Post Focusing, it allows you to change the focus point after you take the picture. It is a cool technology but I am not sure that I would use it much.
  5. BrundleFly

BrundleFly Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2015
    I expect the EM1 Mkii will shoot 4k video and given that Olympus has already started to experiment with 4K through the time-lapse function they just added to firmware 4.0 I think more 4k still modes are on the horizon. Post focus relies extensively on Panaosnic's DFD focus system I don't see Olympus being able to emulate that.
  6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I'm not sure DFD (whatever that really is!) has anything to do with post-capture focusing. I assume the way it works is that it captures lots of frames using the electronic shutter, each one with the focus being moved slightly -a bit like focus stacking. The 4k capabilities of the sensor may this achievable (in the same way you can get decent 8Mp stills from 4k video footage.
  7. Whtrbt7

Whtrbt7 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    Post focus can use DFD for initial focus information so you can choose your focal point after you shoot kind of like a Lytro. Olympus has focus bracketing which can be used to do something in post where you can have a photo with a shifting focal point also like Lytro. Olympus can also be used to get more things in focus so DOF is not limited by aperture.
  8. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I'm going to assume you aren't explaining it well, because this doesn't make sense. DFD helps the lens focus faster by using a real time predictive focus algorithm. It doesn't save information onto the written files to be used later, nor can you change the focus of a specific photo file. All you can do is choose from a stack of focus bracketed files. In some of the post focus demos you can see slight shifts in perspective as the camera moved slightly while bracketing the focus. My guess is that it uses 4k stills (or possibly RAW video stills capture) while shifting focus to get a wide focal range captured very quickly.