1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

CF button assignments

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by BSH, Jul 24, 2012.

1. BSH

BSH Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2012
    WI
    Okay, here's me still being a newbie with high-tech, complimicated digital cameras (and yes, I'm currently doing some shooting in 35mm on a full-manual Canon from 1975).

With all the highly touted customization possible for the Oly cameras, how is it that I cannot assign ISO or WB to the CF1 or video record buttons? I can assign either one to the flash mode or drive mode buttons (which I would prefer to keep quick access to), but not to the CF1 button? Really? I'm sure if I'd read more carefully, I would have caught that before, but I didn't, and now I finally have an Oly and I'm surprised.

Did I miss something? Am I the only nut who doesn't want to give up flash mode or drive mode to get quick, direct access to ISO or WB without going through the live mode menu system? I could easily have missed something, because I'm still most comfortable with the old school cameras.

2. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Have you turned on the super control panel? I set the flash button to ISO and find it very easy to set flash mode & WB from the SCP. I use SCP to set flash power, so giving up direct access to flash mode was no biggie for me. :smile:

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I agree - the SCP makes control a great deal simpler. Using it quickly becomes second nature. :biggrin:

4. BSH

BSH Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2012
    WI
    Okay, I got the SCP turned on. That still isn't as helpful as direct button access. In a full 20 pages of detailed review of the EP3 at DPReview, I somehow missed the following paragraph:
    After realizing this, the attraction of a second Fn button has lost all appeal. Really, what do folks do with the 2nd Fn button on the EP3?

That leaves the second control wheel and the touch screen as the only advantages of the EP3 against the tilting screen advantage of the EPL3. I still think the second wheel is a biggie. I'm going to have to spend some more time carefully trying out the EP3 to see if it's really any better than the EPL3.