Certain mirrorless cameras attract certain types of people

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Jonathan F/2, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm starting to notice certain people buy certain mirrorless cameras! Like for example, well to do collector types who chase after rare pristine Leica gear or the techie engineer/IT/accountants who are so spec driven nothing but the top specs of the NEX-7 will do. I hang out on another camera forum and the personality split between M43, NEX, Nikon 1 is definitely noticeable! Heck, even people who use Panasonic M43 vs Olympus M43 differ! I find that mirrorless cameras are beginning to be very niche driven. They'll probably have a mirrorless camera for every demographic soon enough!

Anyways, what do you guys think? Mirrorless that mirror's you? :smile:
  2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    I prefer Olympus over Panasonic for style and better JPEG rendering, and MFT over other mirrorless systems due to the wide selection of lenses. Among the Olympus cameras, I prefer the E-P3 over the E-PL3 or E-PM1, or any older models. What type of person am I? :wink:
  3. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Of course

I agree.

I'm an engineer and prefer the "industrial" approach of Panny's menus and less saturated colours.
  4. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Funny, I went to art school and prefer Olympus handling and surrealistic colors. I also like my Pen bodies to look good with what I'm wearing! :biggrin:
  5. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    I got an Olympus E-PL1 at Christmas 2011 because being older it was cheaper yet still came across well in the reviews (especially jpeg performance). I had a pile of old glass so :43: appealed as a system because for $20 all my old Nikkors are usable. $20 more & my Canon FD mount. $20 more & my small bit of Leica mount glass.

I doubt you can get much out of that other than "what appeals to a broke cheapskate?" :eek::rofl:

Could be worse. Should have seen everything I churned through in my Rangefinder Forum days :rolleyes: Should have kept the Canon 7, Leica CL & probably the Kiev 5 (especially with the 35/2.5 Color Skopar) but at least I still have the F2, IIIf & my Crown Graphic based field camera.
  6. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    A person with a lot of preferences. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  7. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    i also prefer Olympus for it's handling and surrealistic colours and I like the way Pen's look with my clothing style too XD
  8. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I noticed you also shoot Lomo. I somewhat see Olympus as the digital version of Lomo cameras! Especially with a big emphasis on art filters. :smile:
  9. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    Interesting to hear that. It may well be with my marginal color vision (not really color blind, but bad enough to not get to Army helicopter flight school) but I really hadn't noticed it much. Now 1) I don't use those filters and 2) I do like Kodak Ektar & Fuji Reala so maybe I do like funky color more than I give credit for on snapshots at least but 3) I probably like my square monotone even more as that's nearly all I shoot with my Oly. :rofl:

Seriously, learning it could shoot square sold me on the system. :thumbup:
  10. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Interesting. I'm and Engineer by schooling but a more creative type by vocation. I have Panasonic bodies because I can get them at deep discounts if I wait.

In other words, it doesn't matter which side of the brain is dominant or what color my parachute is, I'M CHEAP!!!!!
    • Like Like x 3
  11. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I just have a short attention span, so I'll give anything a go...

That said, I'm a designer by trade, so I'm fairly obsessive when it comes to detail. I can't stand half-assed design (all manufacturers are guilty of this...)
  12. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    I'm a schizophrenic apparently.

I've got panny, Olympus, Leica, NEX mirrorless cameras and a Fuji on order.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I am a super techie engineer and would jump to NEX in a second if they had the lenses (and I had the money). But they don't. I know all about spec sheets, but I also know all about seeing the whole system and not just one piece (sensor).

I like my Oly JPEGs though, because I art bad and Oly picks nice color rendition for me. Ironic I suppose, since I work in graphics and get to agonize over colors etc all day long, but then that's why I got into photography.
  14. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Out of the camera jpegs with good detail, sharpness and rich colors are what I want and my E-PL1 delivers. Sometimes I desire Kodachrome 25 slide film like colors and for those occasions I use my 2005 model Oly E-500 (has a Kodak sensor).

The 3rd generation Pens do not offer superior jpegs over the E-PL1 so I will not be buying one. But I may purchase the upcoming Oly OM-D if it manages to combine traditional Oly jpeg performance with Panasonic GH2 video capabilities and quality.
  15. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    micro 4/3 because it sits perfectly on size, portability, performance and usability.

that being said, either panasonic or olympus will do for me.

16. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy

I seem to have multiple-camera-personality-disorder, vacillating between tech specs, value for money, design, interface, image "look" (not just simple IQ)...

After no serious camera in about 25 years, I started in June with an:

followed by adapters and tons of legacy lenses...
    then, getting more into street photos, I grabbed an new-old stock:

tempted by a good deal, I got an
    as a "second" body, but its design and great interface have made it "first" over the E-PL1

in the meantime, I ended up with several nice old Soviet 35mm cameras, a cheapy, banged-up Ricoh R-10, and a flea-market Canon 20d
  17. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    A sensible one! :biggrin:
  18. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    :rofl: Recognition is a very important first step. But it sounds like you've already moved past that and past denial, pain and guilt, anger and bargaining, depression, on to acceptance and hope. Good for you! :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 1
  19. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    I care about what the camera can do much more than how it looks. That said, I probably wouldn't get something I thought was really ugly.
  20. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Here in the states, it's called "loaded with cash".

Or maybe, "impulse-shopper". :redface:*guilty*