Central Park at Night

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by adam, May 7, 2010.

1. adam

adam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2010
    Maryland
    I've been working on a series of shots of New York's Central Park, all taken at dusk or later. I managed to get some good weather last night and went there with the new gear. Not bad for the first try...

(All shot on a GH1 with the 14-140 lens...the lens significantly outperformed my expectations)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Comments and criticism welcome. I've got a whole series of these, but most of them were shot in my Canon days... http://www.flickr.com/photos/adamtrilling/sets/72157605959323947/

• Like Like x 8
  2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

You have nailed the exposure - very nice results.

3. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Thanks Adam ! Great shots. Can you tell us more about the camera setup (settings) ?

4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

These are really nice, Adam but where is that fort? Beautiful light!

5. adam

adam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2010
    Maryland
    Thanks all!

Herman - I was shooting on a Manfrotto 055CX3 tripod with a PhotoClam PC-44NS head. ISO 100, manual exposure f/8 15 seconds, two-second timer, OIS disabled, auto white balance, single autofocus.

The camera figured out most of the shot on its own. It metered about one stop overexposed, which wasn't really wrong but would have blown out the lights a lot more than I like. It got the white balance almost exactly...that's the closest I've seen a large-sensor camera get the white balance for a night shot.

BBW - My soon-to-be-wife always makes fun of me for saying how beautiful the light is at night. We'll be walking somewhere and I'll be like, the light is really nice tonight, and she'll be like, um, it's dark... That fort is Belvedere Castle...just south of the Great Lawn in Central Park.

6. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Very nice photos.