CCTV Mount lenses, which to buy? (25 vs 35)

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by ryansinibaldi, Jun 3, 2012.

1. ryansinibaldi

ryansinibaldi Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2012
    I decided I'd like to dabble into C mount lenses because of how cheap they are. Ideally I'd like something as wide as possible but I can't seem to find anything wider than 25mm.

RainbowImaging has both a 25mm F1.4 and a 35mm F1.7.

Which one produces better results? Any does anyone have info on something wider if possible? Thanks. RainbowImaging 25MM F1.4 TV Movie Lens + Lens Adapter for MFT M4/3 camera, fits Panasonic G1 G2 G10 GF1 GF2 GH2 GH1 GH2, Olympus E-P1 E-P2 E-PL1 E-PL2: Camera & Photo

(Yes, I've searched extensively before anyone asks)
  2. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    I have both of these, and I would say the 35mm fujian is the one to get.

The 25mm vignettes a lot more and I don't believe it gives exposures like a f1.4, however the 35mm f1.7 does seem to be pretty close to it's specs.

Depending on what your budget is, the Cosmicar/Pentax 25mm f1.4 (should be roughly $100) would probably be better than either one. There is also a Wesley 24mm that liiks a little better than the 25mm you linked to (in my opnion, anyway).

Again depending on budget, you could look for a 12.5mm f1.3 computar or a modified Fujinon 12.5mm f1.3 for something wider. I'd guess those may set you back about $100 and $300 respectively.

That said, my unsolicited advice would be save your money and put it towards either the native 20mm, 14mm or even 45mm if you can handle something a little longer... That is of course assuming you don't already have them.
  3. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I second the recommendation for the Fujian 35mm f1.7. It is one of my favourite lenses on my E-PL1. I find that it renders images beautifully and in many cases, I actually prefer it to some of the much more expensive legacy options in and around this FL. I'm not sure if they all do, but the seller I got mine from included a small ring that mounts on the adapter before mounting the lens that give close focus capabilities, which is another plus for this lens (though admittedly, I seldom use it)
  4. newbie

newbie Mu-43 Regular

Mar 24, 2012
    find something of Som, kern, cooke, there are still a lot of cheap lens, dont waste your money....
  5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I tried both, and kept the 35/1.7. It's a unique lens. Not an everyday lens, but it's one that is a lot of fun. It's a good combo of IQ, focal length, unique bokeh and speed.
  6. the.growler

the.growler Mu-43 Regular

Anything wider than 25mm is going to vignette heavily on a 4:3 image, regardless of the lens maker. You can shoot in square format and/or crop to reduce the vignetting, but you can't eliminate it. It's simply an artifact of C-mount lenses casting a smaller image circle that the size of a Micro 4/3 sensor. Even most 25mm lenses show mild to partial vignetting.

If you buy a modern CCTV/machine vision C-mount lens, as opposed to a 16mm cine lens, make sure the lens is for a 1" sensor, which is the closest in size to a Micro 4/3 sensor. A number of these modern lenses were designed for 2/3" or 1/2" sensors, and the smaller image circle will cause even heavier vignetting. Also, make sure that you can track down a success story (either on this forum, Flickr or elsewhere) of the lens being successfully adapted - many C-mount lenses have bases that are too wide to fit into a Micro 4/3 adapter or too thick to allow infinity focus.

I have a copy of the Fujian 35mm 1.7 and it is a very capable lens for the price, although I understand from other members that quality varies significantly from sample to sample. If you buy one, try to get a couple of C-mount macro rings to go with it - it is a wonderful macro lens.

From experience :frown: I can tell you that you can spend a lot of money on C-mount lenses in search of a fast, wide, compact prime and never be fully satisfied with the results. They are fun lenses to play with, but I'm in manzoid's camp here - splurge on a C-mount lens for fun, but save your money for a native prime. Or, if you still want to go retro/manual but want extremely high quality, you can find Pen F/FT 38mm f1.8 lenses for less than $200 which make excellent walk-around lenses.
  7. strawhat20

strawhat20 New to Mu-43

Apr 20, 2012
    I bought the Wesley 24mm and Fujian 35mm and prefer the output from the Wesley. It doesn't have the swirly bokeh that are associated with some of the toy lenses out there. Probably the best $50 lens I've spent personally.

If you want something wider and don't mind it not being a C-mount lens, look at the Pentax-110 18mm f/2.8 lens. It can be bought used from $20-$60 USD. The only caveat with this lens is that it's fixed at f/2.8 only since the aperture was set on the camera.