CC 2015.4 LR: Boundary Warp (sounds like Star Wars)

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by mcasan, Jan 29, 2016.

1. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Lightroom CC 2015.4 / 6.4 now available

Lightroom CC 2015.4 and Lightroom 6.4 are now available on Adobe.com. The goal of this release is to provide additional camera raw support, lens profile support and address bugs that were introduced in previous releases of Lightroom. This release also includes a new Boundary Warp feature for Creative Cloud members.

Thank you for all your feedback and passion for Lightroom.

Introducing Boundary Warp

Stitched panoramas often have non-rectangular boundaries. There are several ways to handle irregular boundaries. The most common approach is to apply a rectangular crop. This is straightforward, but important image details near the boundary may be lost due to cropping. Another approach is to use Content Aware Fill (in Photoshop) to fill in the transparent areas outside the boundary. This can be effective, but may require multiple attempts to obtain a satisfying (smooth, artifact-free) result. It can also be expensive and requires rendering out the panorama to an output-referred(non-raw) format. Boundary Warp is a feature that provides another approach to handling the irregular boundary of panoramas. The feature analyzes the boundary and warps the image so that its edges fit a rectangular frame.

New Camera Support in Lightroom CC 2015.4 / 6.4
    • Fujifilm X70
    • Fujifilm X-E2S
    • Fujifilm X-Pro2
    • Leica M (Typ 262)
    • Leica X-U (Typ 113)
    • Panasonic DMC-ZS60 (DMC-TZ80, DMC-TZ81, DMC-TZ85)
    • Phase One IQ150
    • Sony ILCA-68 (A68)
    Additional Updates in Lightroom CC 2015.4 / 6.4
    • Nikon 1 J4 Camera Matching Profile added
    • The panorama merging process should complete roughly twice as fast as Lightroom 6.3
    • Improved quality when applying Auto Straighten and Upright “Level” mode
    • A preference was added to the Mac to prevent accidental “speed swiping”
    • Metadata is added to merged panoramas to support Photoshop’s Adaptive Wide Angle filter
    • Customers can now set the location of where photos are stored when downloaded from Lightroom mobile or Lightroom web in the preference panel or contextually in the folder panel
    • Thumbnails update much quicker when copying and pasting settings in the grid view
    • Images load faster in the Library module when you are zoomed in and navigating images
    • Tethered support added for the Nikon D5500 and Nikon D7200

Lightroom CC 2015.4 / 6.4 now available

• Like Like x 1
  2. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Boundary Warp videos ACR and LR

3. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    so boundary warp is not included for non-CC version?

Not sure if I should bother updating then...

• Like Like x 1
  4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Finally... I've been doing boundary warp manually for ages!

5. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    In general, no new features are included in the standalone copy of LR. That is well documented by Adobe. If you want features like DeHaze and now Boundary Warp, you have to be on a CC subscription.

Attached Files:

6. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    Nice feature that I'll get in two years when I buy the next full version of Lightroom (if they still sell it). Really don't like this business model that I can only describe as scummy... That said, who hired the presenter in the first video. Hilarious!

7. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    FYI, Phase One has the same subscription model for their Capture One Pro for a higher subscription price. I think that is very realistic to think there will not be a standalone LR 7 or 8, just like there is no standalone PS today.

8. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    Yes, you are probably right, but it doesn't make me happy. I didn't know Capture One Pro was on a subscription model. I will probably keep using my standalone version for a long time to come still. Need more lenses before I upgrade my body anyway.

9. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    With C1P you can either purchase for $299 or do a subscription for $15 a month. The subscription is $5 a month higher than CC that includes both LR and PS.

Attached Files:

10. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    Wow, that's quite steep compared to LR (both the subscription and stand alone). Thank god, this is a theoretical discussion for me...

• Like Like x 1