CB-USB11 cable for updates?

So, I was about to embark on a wonderful leap into the world of camera updates and realized I needed to dig up my USB cables for both my em5.2 and em1.2
• checked the manuals and came up with CB-USB6 (for the em5.2) and the CB-USB11 (for the em1.2)
• digging around and I came up with a handful of similar looking cables but none had any specific lettering on them to say they were Olympus. Some had no lettering and some had a bunch (just not Oly)
• Found one that had Taiyo written on it, and it looked an awful lot like the one for the em5.2... and it fit as well so thought I'd have a go with that one.
• It worked just fine and the update went as planned (no bricks to speak of, although I'm also touching real wood as I say that!) my em5.2 is now running g version 4.1
• but its the em1.2 that I really want to update and none of the 5 other cables I have even closely resembles what looks like a USB-C connection to the camera
• searching online comes up with one offering on Amazon.ca ... for $54 not including any shipping... and it's not an original Oly (here)
• Neither Vistek nor Henry's seem to have this available... so I may be stuck with the option in the line above

Thoughts? Anyone used this before or have links to other reliable products... it's for an update and after some of the horror stories I'd like to make sure I've got the right cable... don't want to brick my main body at this point.

following up... would a simple USB to USB-C cable do the trick? I might have one floating around for some of my apple devices if it does... or, Staples (locally) has them available for half that cost... really it's not the cost but the availability right not.

ScottinPollock

Mu-43 Veteran
I have an Apple USB A to USB C adapter and it has worked fine on all USB C equipped devices I have for both data and power.

But with that said, USB is a standard, and any reasonable A to C cable should be fine. I have an extensive collection of Monoprice cables in USB, Ethernet, and HDMI and all have performed admirably for years despite their low cost.

With that said, do you really need a cable for an Oly FW update? My Nikon and Lumix cameras only need to see the binary on an SD card to do an update.

Growltiger

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have an Apple USB A to USB C adapter and it has worked fine on all USB C equipped devices I have for both data and power.

But with that said, USB is a standard, and any reasonable A to C cable should be fine. I have an extensive collection of Monoprice cables in USB, Ethernet, and HDMI and all have performed admirably for years despite their low cost.

With that said, do you really need a cable for an Oly FW update? My Nikon and Lumix cameras only need to see the binary on an SD card to do an update.
You need the cable to use the recommended update method. And you need it if you want it to use the recommended method, which will keep and restore all your settings.

A standard USB-C cable is all that is needed, nowadays most people have one anyway, and the camera comes with one supplied.

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
following up... would a simple USB to USB-C cable do the trick? I might have one floating around for some of my apple devices if it does... or, Staples (locally) has them available for half that cost... really it's not the cost but the availability right not.
Staples is probably the best bet if you don't have one available at home. I just have one which came with the camera. I believe you will not need the USB-C PD (Power Delivery) version.

Just got back in from golf... and while I was on my over I had a thought... (doesn't happen often, lol)... I recently got a USB to USB-C Tether Cable that works great for that purpose... would that work here as well... it's got two go those dongly thingies towards the end of each end, similar to the ones that appear on the em5.2 cable I used earlier on that camera. Are those what make it a PD (Power Delivery) version?

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
If it works as a tether cable am sure it will work for programming. I tested the cable that came with the camera with Olympus capture, and it was fine. I suspect the dongly thingies might be ferrite beads. Someone here may know more about PD USB-C but I imagine the cable will be thicker, to deliver more amps when needed by the device.

Last edited:

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
Just a question. What did you do with the cables when you bought the cameras? Did you keep the boxes? Do you have regular places for any accessories that came with the cameras? I know things can become a jumble after awhile sometimes though.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
Just got back in from golf... and while I was on my over I had a thought... (doesn't happen often, lol)... I recently got a USB to USB-C Tether Cable that works great for that purpose... would that work here as well... it's got two go those dongly thingies towards the end of each end, similar to the ones that appear on the em5.2 cable I used earlier on that camera. Are those what make it a PD (Power Delivery) version?
That should be fine for the E-M1 II & sounds like the original cable with filters both ends.

Just a question. What did you do with the cables when you bought the cameras? Did you keep the boxes? Do you have regular places for any accessories that came with the cameras? I know things can become a jumble after awhile sometimes though.
I keep all boxes... but half my gear was purchased new and half used (mostly here on mu-43).

The em1.2 was the latter and truthfully as I had rarely used the cables with any other camera I've had I paid no attention to whether it was in the package when I received it or not.

As per where I keep cables I have a plethora of camera and computer bags where I sort out most of my gear (my excuse for keeping it all, lol). I thought I had all of my camera connection cables and like in one of my older sling bags... obviously not though!

I keep my filters in another smaller bag, and my old Nikon FF stuff is in a wheeled backpack that will no longer conform to most domestic flights for carry-on and because of the wheels won't fit in any buses in the carry-on racks... so I try and lift it once a month... gives me the warm and fuzzies as it reminds me why I gave up FF!

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
I have kept all my boxes, much to my wife’s annoyance & I’ve kept everything I’ve bought so far & with several camera bags & I understand things can be hard to find sometimes when all the bags have to be checked when looking for it. I fixed up a cabinet for gear & now it is overflowing & I have to find a new place in the house for it as well, so...... 1st world problem. :whistling: ;)
Maybe I might be able to clear something out. Anyhow, hope your cables work.

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
I've got sooo many USB cables that it is nuts.
I decided that I have to sort, bag and label them, cuz I'm tired of trying to figure out which one I need over and over again.
I have the Olympus USB cables in my Olympus tub, with all the Olympus gear, so that they don't get lost in the mass of other USB cables.

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
Boxes go in a box in the loft. I take out all the bits I will need, so in the case of the E-M1 Mkii the only thing in the box is the CD and that cable retainer clip.
Definitely have too many USB leads of various versions.

Every once in awhile we need to give ourselves a good whack to the side of the head.

Case in point.

After starting this thread here... and also over at FB Master Your Olympus site... and after diving into every possible hiding spot I could have put the original em1.2 cable into... once, twice and in some cases three times... and coming up empty each time...

yup... you know where this is going!

my last post was asking if I could use the new tether cable I had recently purchased... mainly because from a quick peak in the bag it appeared to have both a regular USB and a USB-C end to it... and, many thanks to those both here and MYO who answered my question.

so... now comes for the whack on the forehead!...

I finally got a chance this afternoon to bring out the cable and ... wait for it... whack, whack, whack... guess what was inside the bag?

yup... the new tether cable and... the original Olympus USB to USB-C cable. I hadn't bothered initially to dive deeper into this bag as there was no way the original could possibly have been in there... whack, whack

wasn't the first time and obviously won't be the last time I've done this... and usually I am very organized with things like this... on the other hand it just made more sense to keep the two cables together as tethering was a more frequent exercise than updating.

anyway, thanks for your help and hope you've stopped laughing long enough to hear that my second body update in as many days appears to have gone quite smoothly...

sheesh! whack! need a beer!

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Every time I get a device that comes with a cable I put a Dymo Tape table at each end to identify it.
Learnt the hard way after losing some or more rightly not knowing what belongs to what.

I remember a few years back when some devices/cameras came with two cables, one for charging and one for coping files off a camera that one lead often with a lump. I was told that lump changed the voltage or something on one wire so the device would know it was in either transfer or charge mode.
With cameras like the TG5 when you plug the cable in you select the option in the menu.

So for an old device a cable with the right connectors may not work.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
Been there, Done that. MANY times.

I many times loose stuff, and it is right there in the open, but not where I'm looking for it.
Yep, I have an extra 1m spirit level I paid good money for because I kept walking past the one I had sitting on some timber I was always walking past. :(
I had another set of tools I couldn't find, couldn't see them online anymore & I was nearly going to buy something to replace them, but I lifted a tool bag a littler higher to find it underneath, thankfully. I've bought other tools before too & now have double. It's more fun buying more cameras & lenses though. ;)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom