1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Caught a bit of GAS

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by strang, Oct 3, 2012.

1. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    Just bought an Olympus 9-18mm f/4 from the Cameta deal via eBay (save $10 for Canadians).

I sold my 12-50 this evening and decided I need a wide-angle. This lens sold me on its compactness and f/4 @ 9mm and that it can take filters, already have a variable ND @ 52mm. I'll likely only use it in good light so I'm happy with f/4. If I had a tripod with me I can open shutter for a bit indoors.

Looking forward to the Olympus 60mm or the 35-100mm.

2. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    congrats....

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Good for you. I'd like a decent UWA lens, I've been giving serious thought to the Samyang/Rokinon fisheye. GAS just keeps coming back . . ! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  4. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Very nice. It's an excellent lens.

5. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    We were planning to go to the White Mountains in NH this weekend (no go - hotels are priced too high plus minimum of 2 nights stay, being Columbus weekend and peak of leaf-peeping season :frown:) and I was literally just about to click the Place Your Order button on Amazon. I dunno what held me back. Sanity, probably. :smile:

This lens has been on my radar for a long time now, and still seriously thinking about getting it. But, with the refurb EM-5 deal ongoing now ...

Somebody slap me.

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I keep putting an E-PM2 in my shopping cart, taking it out, putting it back...

We live close enough - we should meet up just to slap one another!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hyubie

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    :rofl:

Could we come up with a list of symptoms of GAS? Or if there's one, I've never seen this mentioned. This definitely should be added.

Yes, I am guilty - I put an item on my cart, remove it, put it back again, put it on my wishlist/save for later ...

Whenever we get that Boston meetup scheduled, let's set aside 5 minutes for some good-ol' fashioned sanity-restoring slapathon.

• Like Like x 1
  8. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    I love my 9-18 so have fun with it!

9. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    SLAP!

Wait and save for a refurbished 9-18mm. Then you'll have saved some extra cash and you also won't pay full price.

Okay, so maybe that's more of a gentle pat that doesn't cure the problem at all...

• Like Like x 1
  10. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Have fun with it, the UWA is a really unique and fun thing to work with and I would hate to be without one :2thumbs:

My problem is Amazon one-click ordering... it has this way of turning G.A.S. into credit card bills with a single click :eek:

11. Hyubie

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    That's the problem -- there is a refurb on Amazon that's about $100 off. :rofl:
    (Granted, they're from the marketplace, but it's easy to do a return on Amazon if product is not satisfactory. And I haven't been dissatisfied with any refurb I bought via Amazon.)

I think the first real big step is to close this blasted Amazon Store card (12 months to pay if > $600). But I need to sleep on that decision.

Hello, my name is Hyubie, and I have been clean since ....

12. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    • Like Like x 1
  13. khollister

khollister Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Keith
    I know the feeling - started with a OM-D with 12-50, O45 & P14 (as a cost saving wide prime). Hasn't been 2 weeks and I received the O75 yesterday and the O12 is coming today. And I'm still thinking about the Rokinon FE.

I'm weak

14. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I hear you. That store card is what helped me get my OM-D. Well, that and selling the rebate accessory and putting the rebate check and the money from selling it toward the camera...

It's brutal.

15. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    Enjoy the lens-it's a fun one to shoot.

About a year ago Ritz was selling 9-18mm's for under $500. I got one, liked it but sold it thinking I'd pick up another one sometime since I didn't use it that much. The thing is, it hasn't got that low again yet:(

My GAS for today was trying to pick a 70-200/2.8 Canon from a selection of 5 used models. I'm such a wimp that I tired out after testing all five and think I will keep my 70-200mm/4.0 and just rent a 2.8 when I need it. Just because a 3+ lb lens has IS doesn't mean that I can hold it steady at low speeds (I can't)

Where and when is that Pany 35-100?

16. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Cameta Camera has had refurbed copies of the 9-18mm for $499 in the past. That's where I got mine.

17. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I don't have an ultra-wide lens for my micro four-thirds kit. The widest glass I have is my Lumix 14mm pancake. I do have a 12-24mm zoom and a 15mm prime for my Pentax APS-C DSLR kit. I don't think I'm about to pay the going rate for Panny's 7-14mm zoom (nor any of their lenses over $600) But Oly's 9-18mm is another matter. I've been saving my money for the rumored Pen with a built-in viewfinder. But if Cameta offers the 9-18 for something like $399 as they did the 14-150 (a refurb lens I purchased for that price and am quite happy with), then I'm there in a New York minute.

18. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    Thanks Mike. I'll keep checking but that won't help the GAS!

19. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Be patient, the price always seems to come down . . . eventually.

I hope.

20. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    You really need to get the CV 25mm f/.95 to round out your prime line up. :p