Cataloging images - work flow

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by BillN, Mar 4, 2010.

1. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Cataloging images

Can we share our thoughts and work flow on this as I want to get serious about it as I have images “all over the place”

I have Lightroom and that is what I’m using – Cataloging is the front end and presumably it needs to be “right”

Can I throw a few questions into the ring to get the discussion going?

1). Do you keep your images on a separate external hard disk and bring them into the work flow from there.

2). Do you then back your images up on another external hard disk

3). Do you delete any images before you bring them into your work flow application, (i.e. into Lightroom).

4). What is the main structure of your referencing system – obviously sub folders, but do you use years or main subject headings or what.

5). How do you tag images that have no EXIF data, or do you not bother, i.e. with images from MF lenses.......... I like to know which lens I have used even if the f stop and shutter speed are not possible

6). Can you copy and sync the LR image info and referencing system across to another computer – i.e. desk top and laptop

Tips and hints please, but can we keep this thread to just the “front end” part of work flow

The vid tutorials are good on the Adobe site, but there is nothing like actual experience to bring out the “best” methods

Cheers

2. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    My file system is a mess as I don't tag. I have shots within
    camera based folders and then sub-folders with raw being separate.

I use an esata, raid "mirror" box and once in a while copy it all on
    to an extra sata drive just in case.

3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I catalog in LR.
    02-10-0179 means
    Feb 2010 image 0179
    I keep images in a montly folder that is in a yearly folder.
    Easy to find anything. All images are converted to DNG.