1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Cash Lake near Greenbelt, MD

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by slothead, Apr 26, 2013.

1. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    A four image IR panorama taken at about 12:00 noon today (4/26/13) with my unconverted OM-D, a Panny 14-140 and an Opteka 720nm IR filter. The four images were "channel mixed" sharpened and then stitched all in PS/CS6.

Cash_Lake_Panorama_4-26-13c1a_zpsf8bf84a5.

What is most interesting about this image to me is the fact that the leaves on the branch in the upper right are GREEN! That's not supposed to happen! It have to do with the fact that they were not in the sunlight, but I've never heard that before. If you've got a clue, feel free to offer a guess.

2. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Very cool photo. So this is done with just a filter, no conversion? Nice. Thanks for sharing. Now to go look for filters.

3. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Another, somewhat different perspective and not a pano. Same camera and lens however.

P4260151a1a_zps33ae280c.

To me the center of this image is over exposed.

4. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Love that, Thomas! I've read that many lenses when used for IR show a "hot spot" in the middle of the frame. Could that have influenced your exposure?

I'm asking because I have absolutely no idea, lol -- I've only read about it.

5. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    Can't get on board with IR yet but I think it might be growing on me. But I do like it. Good work.

6. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    It's really simple Brian, but for most folks (unless hopelessly addicted) it is not something that you do all the time.

It's not hard to find an attractive subject (usually landscapes), and it's not hard to assemble and set up the necessary equipment (your camera with a customizable white balance and an IR filter), and it is not difficult to learn to process the image (which may or may not be necessary according to your taste), so for a very little investment you learn some optical spectrum stuff and create some interesting images.

7. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I would have sworn that I responded to your post Entropic, but I don't see it, so I'll respond again:
    Indeed Entropic, I saw what I'll call hotspots in two of the lenses I've used to date (the Oly 14-42 II and the Panny 14-140), so I have some more experimentation to do. I should comment however that the preceding panorama was made with the same lens. So why don't those hotspots continue (4 times) across the stitched pano? I have some ideas, but I'll let you viewers consider the possible answers.

8. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    Thanks Tom. I might buy an IR filter in the near future and try it out. Who knows I might end up really liking it.

9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    For awhile now I've been intrigued by IR photos - I even considered having one of my older cameras converted but decided I wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost. I love the panorama - I wonder if the green leaves are caused by them being in the shade and, thus, not reflecting as much light. It does appear that there is a hot spot in the second photo - there could be in the first as well or it could simply be that the grass was so highly reflective that it is brighter than the leaves. I can see at least three areas across the panorama that are very bright - all coinciding with grassy areas.
    I'm curious about color choice - I tend to prefer IR in B&W - did you choose the blue tone or is that a consequence of using a filter on an unconverted camera?

10. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I went back into PS/CS and reopened the image (the second one) and darkened the center using Viveza 2 (a Nik plugin). I think it is much improved.

P4260151a3a_zpsa840b12f.

11. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    How did you decide on what exposure to use?

12. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Because focus can be an issue in IR images, I picked small aperture (f/1:11), and then experimented based on the appearance of the live view image. I actually took two sets of images with the same aperture and a longer shutter speed, but ended up using the faster one (2.5 seconds).