1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

cases or no?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by oly.sol, Mar 6, 2016.

1. oly.sol

oly.sol Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2015
    Cambridge, MA
    do you use a case on your camera(s) or not, and why?

2. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I am assuming you are talking about cases as shown on these two cameras.
    Konica%20S3%20Camera%20005a.
    Personally I would never spend money on such items but both of these cases came with the cameras when I purchased them. In the 1970’s cases such as these were called “Ever Ready” cases but they quickly became know as “Never Ready” cases. They are adequate in protecting the camera while transporting it however they are a nuisance when using the camera. Camera salesmen had stories they told about people buying those cases and I have not seen one for sale in a camera store for a while. I do not know if the stores stopped carrying them or if photographers stopped buying them. I see a lot of them being sold on Ebay by China based companies and they advertise them as leather but in reality they are not leather.

I do not like big camera bags but prefer to use a small camera bag that fits on my belt. Most of the time I just keep batteries and filters in my pocket and have the camera on a strap around my neck or on my shoulder.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm more partial to metal grips. There are a few 1st and 3rd party alternatives depending on your camera.

4. ohaya

ohaya Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2016
    I do use the "ever ready" type cases whenever I can find one that fits. I have them on my film SLRs and on my DSLRs (all Pentaxes except for one Nikon) and I'm waiting for one for my "new" used E-PL2.

5. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    I keep my camera in an Optech or Zing neoprene case for transport which I shed during use. I had never-ready cases for my OM's but again, only for transport and storage. Remember the post-pounder cases that screwed into the tripod socket?

6. mcrosa

mcrosa Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    Miami, Florida
    Mike Crosa
    I use the Gariz half leather case on my EM1 and very happy I got it. Its not in the way at all and protects a lot.

7. ohaya

ohaya Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2016
    Thanks for pointing that out. I should mention that when I said I use the "ever ready" cases, that most of the time I only use the bottom half. I didn't realize that you can get just a "half" case, so maybe I can find something for some of the cameras that I couldn't get the full ever ready case for.

Thanks,
    Jim

8. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    never use cases on cameras... also don't obsess on camera bags... have one to transport stuff from place to place and a small Domke that I sometimes use when on a walkabout.

Cameras in cases (or bags) don't take photos

K

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    I remember german tourists with these cases. I am getting old.

10. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Wasn't the 'ever-ready' case renamed the 'never-ready' case.

As you may guess I have no use for them.

11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    No on cases. I do use small bag or pouch if I feel the need protection.

12. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I have used a half case on my Fuji X100 cameras and E-PL1 in order to make the camera a little larger (plus I liked the way the cases looked) and I have kept them in a fitted neoprene case so I could just toss them in a bag.

13. specialagenttuna

specialagenttuna Mu-43 Regular

Apr 19, 2013
    I also have one for my x100t but only because I bought a bundle that came with it. I do like the feel of it though for that camera but wouldn't bother for any of my other cameras. I never use the top part that covers the lens and dials though, just the base.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

14. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  15. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Same here with my E-P5. The Gariz adds just a tiny bit more thickness and cushions my grip so that my hands don't get too fatigued.
    Bobby

16. oly.sol

oly.sol Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2015
    Cambridge, MA
    i got a couple gariz cases yesterday. they're really great. holding the ep5 was comfortable for me before the case, but so much more so now. love that the battery compartment is accessible, too. why on earth do so many first party manufacturers block batter access? can't be stupidity, but i can only think of stupid reasons to block battery access.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. pigiron

pigiron Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 27, 2016
    I use a wrist strap on my GM5 with my Olympus 25mm lens and either put it in my pocket or under my shirt when it showers which here in Oregon is every day. I just use a padded camera bag when running around with all my gear.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  18. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    If you got one for the E-M1 or E-M5 II, I would appreciate your impressions.
    Bobby

19. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    No. I bought into this system for small size and I don't like to compromise that.

When I travel, there is usually one body and a couple of lenses, maybe a strobe, in my overhead carry-on bag. I slip cheap-o Walmart boot socks over these to cushion them a little bit against bumping into hard things. Sometimes I have used the inexpensive neoprene lens bags available on eBay. But when the equipment is working, it works naked.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I use an OpTech Soft Pouch to protect the camera during transport when I'm not using a bag. I clip it to my Utility Sling so I just pull it off and let it dangle when shooting.