Case options for a LARGE m4/3 kit... show us your pics!

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
I'm sure most of us who have been at this photography thing for awhile have a good bunch of various DSLR camera cases, all suitable at one time or another, but most never seeming to be just right for our latest m4/3 "kit". That's the spot I'm in. None of my various DSLR camera cases are suitable for my m4/3 travel needs. So I'm looking for yet another case. :-/

I need a case to hold a GH2, GF1, and up to seven or eight lenses (presently: 20/1.7, 14-45, 14-140, 7-14, Zeiss 85/1.4, Zeiss 50/1.4, and Voigtlander 35/1.2). Of course, I have some lens hoods, spare batteries, 72mm ND fader, numerous step-up/down rings, and a remote release that would like to tag along as well. I can conceive of one case able to hold the full kit and another, somewhat smaller, case for a sub-set of kit.

As the various m4/3 components are relatively small, the ideal case to hold this many lenses should probably have two layers, right? Or it would probably be unreasonably long/wide, I would think. Such a case should make it quick and easy to access two levels of gear - most used on the top level, less used gear on the bottom level.

I'd sure like to see what some of you have found to be great cases for your m4/3 kits and if you can show a picture of your kit in your case, I'm sure many of us would really benefit from seeing the many possibilities and how it all fits!

So please, if your would, take a few minutes to show us your m4/3 kit with whatever case you have chosen and let us know how it's working out for you... many thanks, in advance.

Kosta

Mu-43 Veteran
personally i try to minimise where i can (somewhat the point of m4/3 for me) and just keep my camera on me and use the small loewepro (?) bag to fit maybe two extra lenses and battery. to give you a quick idea, the bag will just fit the camera+kit lens and maybe the 20mm pancake, if packed right!

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The needs you describe are very similar to that of rangefinder shooters. Ideas probably can be had by browsing through threads on related forums; l-camera-forum and rangefinder. You can always get extra velcro dividers and further compartmentalize any bag with a similar loop/hook system.

My largest bag is this + extra dividers for use with m43 + rangefinder.

jill-e designs jack? Medium Camera /Carry Bag

I also have a small neoprene zip case that I put on top at times... I don't know where I got it. I think its some sort of computer case. I can take a few pics of that bag packed when I get home.

cucco

Mu-43 Regular
I'll see if I can post some pics of this later, but I use Pelican cases to carry around audio equipment (mics, cables, etc.) In the case of my microphones, I have a Pelican 1510 with custom made case foam from CaseCAD Custom Foam Inserts for Hard-sided Carrying Cases (no affiliation). They use a high-density foam that does not shred. In the situation with my microphone case, I have roughly $50,000 worth of mics in a single case and they're all very well protected. Shredding foam would ultimately ruin a good mic, so it's important to focus on good, dense foam. Obviously, you don't want shredded foam on a sensor either...

If I remember and have some spare time, I'll post a pic or two of the mic case.

Cheers-
Jeremy

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
This is what I use (it's an older camera bag made for a video camera - I added the dividers) and despite the number of cameras of this type now available, no one make a decent bag to suit the smaller size:

bag2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Cheers

Ray

Hikari

Mu-43 All-Pro
Large m4/3 kit sounds like jumbo shrimp.

There are two problems; carrying the stuff and using the stuff. I don't believe you can have one bag that does that, at least not without some surgery to one of your shoulders. My solution with my medium-format equipment was to use smaller shoulder bags to organize the gear where I can choose to hang over both shoulders or neck, and a backpack that these bags can be placed in when transporting. The backpack also offers attachment points for smaller bags, either on a waist belt or should straps. And because the backpack is not a padded camera bag, it can be used to carry other things like a light jacket, food, and other odds and ends that are useful on day trips. And then you get flexibility as you can mix and match the smaller bag to suit the assignment.

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
Jimmy... thanks for the link... looks like they have some serious solutions for heavy duty needs!

As I've reviewed a lot of options, I keep coming back to the Tenba Messanger Large Photo/Laptop Bag. Looks like a great travel solution, but I'm not sure it will carry quite enough camera gear... but it looks good as I will need a place for a 15" MacBook Pro as well and lots of folks speak very highly of it.

Tenba - Messenger: Large Photo/Laptop Bag

~tc~

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have a Tenba mini-messenger, and like it a lot - you could say it's my "daily carry".

I think the "full size" messenger would carry all you want, but probably not in padded, organized comfort as the padded liner is relatively small (and why I went with the mini instead)

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
I have a Tenba mini-messenger, and like it a lot - you could say it's my "daily carry".

I think the "full size" messenger would carry all you want, but probably not in padded, organized comfort as the padded liner is relatively small (and why I went with the mini instead)

Thanks tc. I didnt look at the mini... It holds more, with padding?

~tc~

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I really need to make a thread here one of these days with pictures of the bag loaded up ...

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
I really need to make a thread here one of these days with pictures of the bag loaded up ...

That would be awesome... while you're doing it, perhaps an image of all the gear that goes in the bag spread out in front of the bag as well. That makes it really easy for people to see what can be fit in there. :smile:

deirdre

Mu-43 Top Veteran
So please, if your would, take a few minutes to show us your m4/3 kit with whatever case you have chosen and let us know how it's working out for you... many thanks, in advance.

For my camera storage and carrying most of my gear, I use a Lowepro Flipside 300 backpack. As you see, I have room left, but I do have two film cameras that aren't in there.

View attachment 156786

Top row:
135mm Leitz Hektor (LTM)
Panasonic GF1 w/20mm (mFT)
45mm Elmarit (mFT)

Middle row:
Canon 50mm (FD)
Voigtlander 15mm (M)
Finder for Voigtlander
Leica M8 with Voigtlander 28mm Ultron (LTM)

Bottom row:
Film (120 and 35mm)
50mm Summarit (LTM)

Pocket:
Filters, adapters, and miscellaneous

deirdre

Mu-43 Top Veteran
My daily carry bag is much smaller of course.

Leica M8 with Voigt 28mm Ultron on the left, Panaleica 45mm lens on the right, GF1 with 20mm lens goes kind of angled across the top.

View attachment 156789

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
Here's what I'm using for the moment when I want to take the majority of my m4/3 gear. Starting with a really funky old Tamrac I happened to have sitting around. It's getting new some new life these days with the m4/3 stuff.

Two bodies and EIGHT lenses! Along with three legacy lens adapters as well. WOW. This little ole bag is MAXED OUT, but carrying the load as requested. Sorry for the crappy snapshots... but you get the point.

P1010044.jpg

P1010045.jpg

P1010046.jpg

P1010053.jpg

I'm surprised I could get this much in this little bag. I do need a somewhat bigger option so I can also take a MacBook Pro, cell phone, wallet, travel docs, water bottle, and perhaps a snack or two.

Latest threads

Top Bottom