1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Case for BLN-1 Battery

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MarkoPolo, Mar 1, 2014.

1. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Greeley, CO
    Mark Brown
    One of the things I liked about Canon's batteries was the plastic snap on bottom that protected contacts from touching anything. So far, the only thing I can find for my EM-1 batteries are the small zip lock bags with which they are supplied. Has anyone found any small plastic cases that fit fairly closely for these batteries? I have looked at craft stores and big box hardware stores, but nothing is quite right. TIA

2. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    I put mine into baby socks, no kidding!
    Rudy

• Like Like x 3
  3. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Coming from Canon, I missed those things at first too...then I realized that Olympus's design is better, since the contacts are deep-set in the plastic. I think the chances of the contacts shorting out on something are pretty slim.

With that said, I'm using a thin drawstring cotton bag (used to be for a phone), to keep my spare batteries in in my bag. But that's more for organizational purposes than out of concern for the contacts shorting out.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Hi Mark!

Nikon had the same battery bottom; very handy.

I've not seen anything comparable for the Olympus batteries, but I use one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000067O7T/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has a belt loop and will hold a combination of Olympus batteries and SD cards and offers a zippered enclosure.

(SanDisk used to offer a zippered soft case with their SD cards that neatly holds 1 Olympus battery and 1 SD card; I can no longer find the cases in their inventory but a search of E-Bay might come up with something).

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 3
  5. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    OP/TECH USA makes a small battery holster that can also be placed on a camera strap -
    http://optechusa.com/battery-holster.html

And I picked up several small memory cases at a local dealer for a $1 each. They work great for m4/3s batteries and SD cards but I can't find them anymore
    - CASE-CF-SD02 SanDisk Double CompactFlash Card Padded Carry Case with Keyring

• Like Like x 5
  6. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Yep, those are the ones I have. They come up occasionally on E-Bay (I don't bid on E-Bay anymore, but others might).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NICE-Sandis...Case-with-Keyring-Holds-2-Cards-/181288488074

I only have two :frown:; they're very handy to toss an extra battery and card securely into a front jeans pocket.

Clint, you got a good deal at a buck each!

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  7. Phil Holland

Phil Holland Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 26, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  8. beameup

beameup Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2013
    I got a small soft pouch for a cellphone or something(?). It zips along the long side and holds exactly
    three batteries side-by-side. It also has a belt-loop. I always have it with me so I can switch batteries.
    I numbered the batteries. When I open it the pouch, if the number is "up", it is charged; if the contacts
    are "up" it is discharged. When I get back from a shoot, I immediately recharge any discharged batteries.

• Like Like x 1
  9. it'sAlvin

it'sAlvin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2014
    Bay Area CA
    Alvin
    • Like Like x 4
  10. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Wow, this is fortuitous - I was just thinking about battery storage not 30 minutes ago, and then this thread comes up. Nice suggestions guys :thumbup:

11. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    HAVE to rant here, it's one more way that Olympus is RIPPING OFF.users of their products to save a few pennies. Olympus used to provide battery covers to their BLM-1 users, as well as hoods with EVERY lens. It's not like we are charged less for our smaller products, in the case of hoods they cost pennies to make and Oly users are charged big bucks for them.

12. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    I use cases designed for AA-sized batteries. Take the shaped insert out and you can fit three BLN-1s in with no chance of shorting contacts

battcase_zpsc004150c.

• Like Like x 4
  13. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Greeley, CO
    Mark Brown
    Thanks for all the replies, there are some great ideas there.
    I guess being a business owner, I don't feel Olympus is ripping anybody off. I'm sure profit margins are minuscule and you can not stay in business very long if you are losing money. With the rise of cell phones becoming the camera of choice, I'm sure it makes it even harder for all camera companies. When I compare the features of the EM-1 vs the Canon 7D (about the same price), the OLy is a complete bargain. Long term, good lenses will be less expensive with m4/3 (and much lighter) than buying full frame lenses to use on an APS-C body. These cameras are not cheap, but I think offer good value for the money. Just my two cents worth.:smile:

• Like Like x 3
  14. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I have used old CF card cases taking a Stanley knife to enlarge the whole and the other is going to a pound shop getting a neoprene laptop case and cutting it down and sewing to make small battery cases. I am gong to see how well glens remove the moulded stuff to see how well that works.

15. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I really like the ThinkTank two- and four- battery holders.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Oooh...I have one or two of those SanDisk CF card holders...never occurred to me to use them for batteries, but that would be perfect. That way I can organize them (sticker side up = dead, non-sticker side up = good to go) and not have to guess wildly like I do now!

• Like Like x 1
  17. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Ok I think I may have a very simple but Heath Robinson solution and it costs less than a penny a battery make the ends from thin card board
    R1036441.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  18. fljoe

fljoe Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    FL
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    In previous post I mentioned the OP/TEch Battery Holster - goes for $6.95-7.95.

I found a 200% better deal

- The OP/TECH Media Holsters - you get two for the price of one battery holster. While they are look similar they are not identical - the media holsters will hold a BLN-1 or a battery that's a little larger - but not large enough to hold like a D700/D7000/D800 battery.

20. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Greeley, CO
    Mark Brown
    I found an old case for 4 double A batteries and took the insert out as Glenn suggested. They do fit perfectly and work for my 4 battery set up--one in the camera and 3 in the case. I might try the Think Tank 4 double A pouch as the soft sides and velcro might be more secure. Again, thanks to the forum for lots of good ideas.