1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Carved Love

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Jman, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    GX1 with Oly 45/1.8, 26 image stitch, with a final image size of 163 megapixels. Equivalent FOV and DOF : 27mm f/1.1 on full frame.

carved_love.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  2. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Wow, stunning...! Just out of curiosity, how much work is it to create this out of the 26 individual images?

3. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    This looks great, if you'll indulge my inquisition, I have a lot of questions :)

Why so many images out of curiosity? I assume you have a very large overlap from image to image? Does it significantly help image quality in the end? How do you take the images, panning or pivoting on a tripod?

I would expect more problems with things moving (branches in this instance) with this many images.

4. LindaZ

LindaZ Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2012
    North Carolina
    Stunning!!

5. It's the Brenizer method, used to create a shallower depth of field than would be possible using a single lens with the same field of view.

6. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    ^^^ Correct. If this were simply taken with my 7-14 at 13.5mm, the depth of field would have been huge, with no real isolation on the tree. Even my 12/2 at f/2 would still have only had a little softness in the background. This allowed me to get equivalent depth of field of a 27mm f/1.1 on full frame, (or a 13.5mm f/0.55 on Micro 4/3). The extreme resolution means these can be printed huge if necessary, but it's certainly not the reason I take them. (though occasionally I will stitch for higher resolution if I'm going to try and print an enormous print...though I've only printed one of those...a 60 inch panorama on canvas).

The stitching is pretty easy if I do my job well. These were taken handheld, but I made sure to have a little overlap in each. There's not a ton of overlap in each image...I was rather close to the tree. A single shot makes up about 1/10 of the total frame area. I use Microsoft ICE for these types of stitches as it does a better job than Photoshop's Photomerge for out of focus areas, and it does it much faster as well. Photomerge works better for regular panoramas for seamless stitching, however.

• Like Like x 1
  7. meachp

meachp Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    Norton-on-Tees, UK
    This is mightily impressive, thanks for sharing. Can I ask how you calculate the equivalent FOV and DOF? Cheers.

8. meachp

meachp Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    Norton-on-Tees, UK
    Ah, I now see you answered this in your other thread. Sorry.

9. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Its beautiful..Love it
    Here is a video if someone wanna try
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsMnRxmeJ74]The Brenizer Method: Bokeh Panorama - YouTube[/ame]

10. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Looks awesome, Jordan. Almost gives it that "diorama" look... :2thumbs:

Sadly I'm too lazy to stitch. :rofl:

11. blaffendespin

blaffendespin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2012
    Rexburg, ID
    Very stunning photo!