Carrying EPL-1 with VF attached

Adresaba

Mu-43 Regular
Hello!
I have a nice Epl1 which is really lovely camera and most of the time I have VF3 attached on it because I am using almost exclusively manual lenses. VF seems fragile to me and I am not putting camera in my small bag with VF attached because I am afraid that it can be easily broken. Do you carry your camera with VF attached and are you putting it in bag with VF on it and if you do what kind of bag is it?
Maybe its not so easily broken but since it is made of plastic (and expensive :biggrin: ) I am worried.
Thanks and sorry for my bad English

Minniesmum

Mu-43 Veteran
I also carry my E-PL1 around with VF-2 permanently attached. I've not considered it to be fragile- ot at least not more fragile than the camera. More concerned about it detaching itself from the camera. As long as your camera bag is roomy enough I can't see a problem ;)

sgt08

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Scott
I usually take the VF off when I'm putting the camera in a bag.

eltictac

Mu-43 Regular
I have the same fear. It feels like a sideways knock would really not be good for it!

downy_ball

Mu-43 Regular
I have a an E-PL1 and use a VF-2 with it. However, I only put it on when I need too, as I don't always need it. My VF-2 came with a little soft bag with a Velcro closure and a small loop to slide a strap through.

I keep my camera in a soft Olympus Pen wrapping case:
Olympus PEN Wrapping Camera Case - Best Price at Bristol Cameras
which isn't sturdy enough to protect the VF-2 when attached to the camera, so I just slipped one end of the camera strap through the loop on the little case for the VF-2 and it's always handy.

I'm not a camera bag kind of person. My PEN is just slung over my shoulder w/ the 17mm and away I go.

:wink:

rparmar

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have similar concerns and have been searching for a day bag as small as possible that nonetheless lets me keep the EVF on the camera as I slide it in and out of safety. I figure the cubic dimensions I need are 4.5 x 4.5 x 5.5" (11 x 11 x 14cm) for the camera + lens + hood + EVF. Enogh room for two other lenses plus accessories would be good. I want a nice looking shoulder bag (that doesn't scream "camera") that is not overly-padded (got one of those) and water-resistant.

Currently the best bets are Domke F-5XC, Domke F-5XB, and Think Tank Retrospective 5. Though these might be a tight squeeze and I have difficulty finding confirmation they will work with my configuration.

A light colour and something that won't sweat in tropical climates are also nice things to have, but seemingly impossible.

DonTom

Mu-43 Regular
Qatar & New Zealand (& Malaysia when in tr
I have been carrying my E-PL1 with a VF-2 attached for nearly 2 years. Usually it is slung over my shoulder, or in a Billingham bag. Never had it come off, or any issue with it being knocked.
But, I do believe in cameras being used, and like to wear things out before replacing them, so I can't say any of the kit looks brand new!

Cheers, Tom

Fmrvette

This Space For Rent
Real Name
Jim
I carry the E-PL1 with the VH2 attached in a LowePro Adventura 140 bag, with either the 20mm Pan or the 14-42 lens attached. The unattached lens, along with the 40-150 Oly lens store next to the camera. The bag cannot store the three lenses if the 40-150 is mounted on the body.

I've not had a problem with the EVF2 coming off, although the fit is a snug one in the bag. Case Dimensions: 5.9 x 8.5 x 8.3 inches ; 11.2 ounces

It has a single divider, which I've angled so that the unmounted lenses stack on each other for storage; the camera goes vertically (hand grip side up) into the remaining space. There are two side pockets for holding lens caps, body cap, etc., a flat rear pocket for holding cleaning cloth, etc, and a front zippered compartment that will hold spare cards, batteries, lens pen, etc.

The EVF is never taken off of the E-PL1; I cannot use a screen for photography, I need the support that the EVF allows me to give the camera.

I did at first have concerns that the thing would disengage by itself and become lost, or damaged, but after awhile with no issues I quit worrying about it. It slides into the case very snugly but doesn't seem to mind.

HTH

Jim

mowog6000

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Pat bailey
I have had my VF-2 for over a month and have had no issues with leaving it on the camera I keep the camera in a LowePro backpack and it fits fine. I have gone on 20 mile bike rides with the camera slung under my arm and the VF never even got loose As with any optical equipment you don't bang it around.

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
I take mine off before I put it in the bag. The advantage of a modular EVF system is the ability to take it off and pack really small, as well as the ability to share the EVF with other bodies. If you don't take advantage of that, you may as well get a body with a built-in EVF. ;)

I do suggest making a tether for your VF-2 though. Heavy thread or doubled-up thread will slip around the hinge of the vari-finder without hindering its ability to lock. That thread can then be tied to a tether which can be attached with a quick-release clip to your neckstrap lug or something.

mowog6000

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Pat bailey
I take mine off before I put it in the bag. The advantage of a modular EVF system is the ability to take it off and pack really small, as well as the ability to share the EVF with other bodies. If you don't take advantage of that, you may as well get a body with a built-in EVF. ;)

Unless you can't afford one, I'm retired on a fixed income and being able to get back to my roots without breaking the bank is utmost to me I can add lenses and the Vf when I can instead of having to buy a $1000 camera.

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
Unless you can't afford one, I'm retired on a fixed income and being able to get back to my roots without breaking the bank is utmost to me I can add lenses and the Vf when I can instead of having to buy a $1000 camera.

Yes indeed, and that is the price advantage of the accessory EVF... If you wanted a body upgrade you could upgrade your E-PL1 to a $400 E-PM1 for instance, and you'd have a brand new body and still be able to use the EVF. ;) It's part of an interchangeable system, just like your lenses. People with fixed lenses have to buy a new camera whenever theirs get outdated, but we system camera users just upgrade one piece.

mowog6000

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Pat bailey
Yes indeed, and that is the price advantage of the accessory EVF... If you wanted a body upgrade you could upgrade your E-PL1 to a $400 E-PM1 for instance, and you'd have a brand new body and still be able to use the EVF. ;) It's part of an interchangeable system, just like your lenses. People with fixed lenses have to buy a new camera whenever theirs get outdated, but we system camera users just upgrade one piece.
I agree but having the VF makes using the camera so much better and not just because you can interchange it.

Fmrvette

This Space For Rent
Real Name
Jim
...share the EVF with other bodies. If you don't take advantage of that, you may as well get a body with a built-in EVF. ;)

Ned, I've tried but I can't. Olympus just won't build an OMD for me :wink:. It's gettin' to the point where I'm about to jump ship and move to Fuji.

I do suggest making a tether for your VF-2 though. Heavy thread or doubled-up thread will slip around the hinge of the vari-finder without hindering its ability to lock...

Never occurred to me!!! Thanks Ned, that's a great idea. Since I don't remove my EVF I think a bit of strong but flexible fishing line (not the monofiliment stuff) run between the EVF and the camera strap eye on the flash side of the body would work. Beats my idea of glueing the EVF to the camera :biggrin:.

MajorMagee

Mu-43 All-Pro
I never take mine off either. I used to make electrical connectors and I know (depending on the design) they can fail far faster than the rest of the device if they get too many insertion and removal cycles.

hinata76

Mu-43 Regular
i put the VF2 in its pouch..only when needed i take it and attached to the EP2. Reason because it takes up less space in the bag..
unless im going only with the camera i leave it with the camera.

Latest threads

Top Bottom