1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Carrying camera without case.

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Johbremat, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    I suppose it shouldn't matter as you're more concerned about the look of your output than you gear, but:

What issues have you had with carrying your camera only on a strap, without any protection? If it's close to your body it should offer a modicum of protection, though I'll be concerned about bumps and scrapes and scratches walking about with my E-P5 on a neck/shoulder strap, ready for action.

As well...any E-P* owners using a VF-*? Any problems with snags or snaps?

2. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I carry mine with a hood hat at all times. Provides some protection for the lens. In crowds just protect gear at all times.

3. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Case? What's that?

4. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    IMHO most cases tend to hinder camera operation. There are some half cases that offer an improved grip. I think that these cases don't offer much protection - the backs are typically open to expose the LCD. I have used the one piece stretchy neoprene cases when I was shooting in places where the camera was at risk. They also provide some weather protection. They have a built in lanyard to attach to the camera or neck strap. I still think these can get in the way. All of my cameras now sport wrist straps and are carried in a small bag with room for extra batteries and an additional lens.

5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Bending over to pickup your kid and having the camera swing around landing squarely at the center of his forehead.....

Explaining that big bump to your wife... priceless.

• Like Like x 10
  6. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Other than a wrist strap I go naked.

• Like Like x 1
  7. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    wrist strap also here

8. scott2hot

scott2hot Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2012
    west yorkshire
    scott
    Exactly why i switched to wrist strap only!...GUESS I wasnt the only one!

9. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I used to carry multiple cameras and lenses just with their straps and never worried; however, with my E-P2 and the VF-2, I was eternally worried that I'd lose it after having it come off once in completely innocuous conditions. I don't know about the VF-4, but the VF-2 didn't have a locking mechanism, like the mini-flash does with the E-M1.

10. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    I've never carried any of my cameras - film or digital - in a case. These days I use one of those cross body sling thingummies and it's ideal for my porpoises. :wink:

As for accidentally bumping your child, if you get any complaints from your s.o. just tell them you'll leave the camera at home on days out. Then in a few years time when he/she is bemoaning the lack of pictorial memories, you can merely raise an eyebrow Roger Moore style. (this is an opinion and won't necessarily fly for anyone else)

11. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hehe... it was the moment I decided that a large Canon system wasn't going to fit my lifestyle any longer; the camera was a Canon 1dmarkII + 24-70L.

12. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Hmm... I have a Zing case on my camera when it's packed away. Otherwise, I use a strap that has a pull-tab you use to lengthen or shorten it at will. So if I need to bend down to pick up my nephew, or have to use the washroom or something I just pull the tab to shorten the strap so it won't dangle forwards. It will shorten enough to be well above crook of my elbow. I'm sure if I kept pulling it would somehow manage to get me in a camera-strap choke hold.

13. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I often take the small Domke F5A bag to put the camera in when I'm not shooting, When I am shooting it's in my hand on wrist strap.

14. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    Definitely wouldn't work in my family. When my wife sees me walking to the car with my camera I get the look - "oh, it's going to be one of those trips ...". On the other hand, when she sees me walking to the car sans camera I see relief - especially if we are going somewhere photogenic.

Yes she likes there to be photos, but they must happen magically.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    My E-P3 has a braided paracord wrist strap (red and silver to match the camera) and doesn't go in a bag. If I'm

My E-M5 has a Peak Design strap, which is easily detached if I'm using a bag. Otherwise I have a Zing pouch that fits neatly.

My E-M1 has a Peak Design strap, which I am more likely to leave attached when I don't use the HLD grip. There is a braided paracord strap attached to the HLD grip, which I tend to use when the grip is in use. With the strap attached to the grip rather than the camera it is the right length whichever way I hold the camera.

I also have a few (too many) bags. Currently two of them get used (a bit) and the others take up space in my study.

16. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    I always carry my camera(s) in a case of some sort. Messenger-type bag is my choice. I don't particularly care that carrying a camera via a strap on the neck or shoulder makes one look like a doof. I just don't like subjecting my camera equipment to largely-avoidable damage or the insipid technical questions. Just leave me the hell alone. Go away.

17. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Doesn't it get a bit cold in the Indiana winters? :rolleyes:

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  18. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    I'm about 50/50 on using a case, depends on where I'm going and how much I plan to be using the camera. The nice thing about most M43 bodies is they work very well with a good wrist strap. The camera bag has the shoulder strap and I can get it out, on the wrist, ready to fire rather quickly.

19. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    +1

My bag acts as a case when the camera is not in use.

20. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Yup. Me, too. Actually I have a quick-release system that lets me choose from several wrist straps, a conventional neck strap, and three glide-type sling straps. Because of the collateral damage problem previously mentioned, the neck strap is my least favorite. Its most common use is to carrry a second body when I have the other body on a sling strap.

The bulk and inconvenience of a case have never attracted me. I suppose I must have owned a camera case sometime in the past, but across medium format equipment, Nikon SLR and RF equipment, and all the digital stuff I can't remember even one. But then I don't mind a few scratches and dings on my tools. I do, however, want them always ready for work.