Carrying a Gorillapod

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by jamespetts, May 11, 2013.

1. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Does anyone have any tips as to how best to carry a Gorillapod? I normally carry my camera equipment in a small Lowepro ILC 100 bag, which fits everything apart from my manual 135mm lens, which, when I take it at all, I carry in its own pouch, which is original to that lens.

When I used to use a Canon G10, I used a smaller Gorillapod, which fit easily in my pocket, but the larger one (intended for mirrorless cameras) which I bought for my E-P3 does not fit into my pocket comfortably, nor does it fit into my camera bag. I tried wrapping the legs around the shoulder strap, but that proved unsatisfactory. Does anyone have any elegant solutions?

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Attach it to your belt? Hang it from a strap?

3. voltcontrol

voltcontrol Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2013
    The 135mm lens pouch if you don't take that lens along or an extra lenspouch when you bring it with you?

4. jamespetts

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Hmm - I don't wear a belt, and it's too big for the 135mm lens pouch by quite a way. It would need a very bulky lens pouch to fit it - perhaps a large, soft pouch intended for a large lens?

Ned - what do you mean by "hang it from a strap"?

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Well, if you attach a strap to the head then that could add more possibilities to hang it from say your shoulder bag or your belt if you had one.

6. jamespetts

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Hmm, interesting. How might one attach a strap to the head?

7. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Time to get a larger bag. Or new trousers sporting larger pockets.

8. jamespetts

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    I don't really want a larger bag, not least because I do not always carry the Gorillapod...

9. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I used to take a gorillapod with me, until one of the legs fell off. From there on I didn't trust them. I made my own clamp to clamp on to a cruise ship balcony railing for time-lapse images. I was not going to trust that GP against dropping my camera into the sea!

However, to answer your specific question... Since the GP is flexible I found that it would fit into any leftover space in a bag. Since equipment never seems to fit into a bag exactly right - there is always space somewhere.

10. jamespetts

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Hmm - interesting. I've never had anything to fall off my gorillapod, but I shall bear your tale in mind when taking photographs near large bodies of water or long drops! As it happens, I don't find myself using the thing anything near as much as I imagined that I should, not least because the combination of fast lenses, image stabilisation and higher ISO capabilities compared to my previous G10 means that hand-holding is an option a higher proportion of the time.

As to spare space in a bag - I manage to squeeze every bit of space out of my little Lowepro (there might just be room for a reversible hood on the 60mm, and possibly one more small lens - if I am careful, perhaps even the 17mm f/1.8, but certainly not an entire gorillapod, which would have to be squeezed into that bag even if empty!).

11. DivideBYZero

DivideBYZero Mu-43 Rookie

May 11, 2013
    I get my PEN E-PM1, the 14-42mm with hood, the 40-150mm (sans hood), the clip on flash and a gorilla pod into the PEN Street case:

[​IMG]

12. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
  13. DivideBYZero

DivideBYZero Mu-43 Rookie

May 11, 2013
    To be fair the gorilla pod will attach itself to most things. Just bend it. :)

14. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    There are some loops on the outside of my camera bag, and I put one leg of the gorillapod through a loop. This is with one of the larger models intended for a DSLR, as that is what I was using at the time. The mirrorless size would make this a bit easier I suspect.

15. jamespetts

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Hmm - just tried the loops on my bag: sadly too tight for it to fit easily.

16. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I have been known to just wrap my gorilla pod around the strap on my bag. :)