1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Carnivorous Plants

Discussion in 'Nature' started by brokken, Aug 29, 2012.

1. brokken

brokken Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2012
    I didn't see a thread on the subject, so I'm creating one. I got my feet wet with interchangeable lenses and micro-four thirds in an effort to take good shots of my carnivorous plants. It'd be interesting to see other photographs of these unusual plants.

My equipment consists of an Olympus OMD EM5 and various lenses - my favorite one being the Panasonic Leica 45mm f/2.8 for it's lovely bokeh.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 17
  2. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Very nice images! I've never seen such a collection of carnivores in a forum presentation. Very different and nice to see.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    Impressive! Both the photos and the collection!

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Excellent shots!

5. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sporking crossover!

<a href="http://minus.com/lkOu50MNDOzHv">
    <div align=center>
    http://i.minus.com/ikOu50MNDOzHv.JPG" width="300" height="400"
    </div></a>

6. brokken

brokken Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2012
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  7. emoslaughter

emoslaughter Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    Douglas French
    :2thumbs: Awesome collection duder! I used to have a carnivorous collection about 10 years ago. I kind of miss it...especially after this post. That hamata is amazing! Those were so0o0 expensive back then and highland (right?) so I was too intimidated to try that one. I had a bunch of Nepenthese, Drosera, Dionaea, and the like. Here's a young me (2003) at a Bog in Ohio in front of some wild S. purpurea.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. brokken

brokken Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2012
    Thank you so much! :) I do enjoy my CPs and find it relaxing caring for them. Spring is coming, so I should have some nice shots of sarracenia coming up in the next few months. :)

Hamatas have come down in price a little bit - but they're still fairly uncommon. It seems they LOATHE root disturbance and may take upwards of a year to recover.

9. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Takis
    This is an extraordinary piece of work!Well done!

10. MichaelBradyNet

MichaelBradyNet Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 17, 2013
    This is mostly for @brokken , since I thought he would get a kick out of seeing his lens shooting subjects similar to those he shot with it. This setting was less than ideal though, all the carnivorous plants on view while I was at New York Botanical Garden's Orchid Evenings were encased in a perspex cube and dimly lit (not to mention surrounded by tipsy guests).

Attached Files:

11. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Fascinating thread and photos. I have one question and I don't care about the gear youse used... More important!

How fast can those plants eat a 165lb Russian woman?

• Like Like x 1
  12. brokken

brokken Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2012
    You'd have to cut her up into itsy-bitsy pieces and even then, I think the plants would gag. I don't think think they like steak tartare. They prefer fat-free bugs. :tongue: