1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Carlsbad Caverns and Guadalupe mountains

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by aks6674, Mar 14, 2014.

1. aks6674

aks6674 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2014
    First part of a spring break trip - I got up (very) early most mornings to go shoot while the family slept in.

7ezubeje.

ymyru6e9.

apuryvys.

ehuzazun.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 9
  2. aks6674

aks6674 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2014
    And last but not least, the traditional 'flying from bed to bed' shot.

vedemapa.

• Like Like x 4
  3. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    I love the shot of that cow (or steer or bull or whatever!)

4. aks6674

aks6674 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2014
    Thanks! I didn't pull out the zoom to see which it was either, but the light was good. The area is so remote they aren't even fenced in, just roam over the roads whenever they want.

5. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    good shots :)

Are you able to post your photos any larger in the thread? I find it an unnecessary extra step, having to click on the photos to enlarge them.

6. aks6674

aks6674 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2014
    I think the TapaTalk app must do that by default, they post larger when I upload from the laptop. I'll try that and see how it goes.

7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Carlsbad caverns are certainly cool. Nice shots - love the idiot in the background of the second shot using flash!{blue glow} If the flash even reaches the formations they look flat and very dull.

The caverns are very hard to shoot and have gotten harder recently. They used to have many more lights down there then they do now. Of coarse the lights were funky colors like red and green and such - pretty but not very realistic. I went there summer before last and was not prepared for it so my only lens fast enough to deal with the low light was my adapted Nikkor 50mm f1.2{I did not have any fast m4/3 lenses at the time}. I got a few good shots but mostly they had slight motion blur.

When I went I was walking on a leg that had been busted badly a couple of months earlier. While down there several of the fixture screws broke and then the bone rebroke. I had to walk out of the cave on a busted leg! Luckily I had my walking stick/monopod with me. The adrenaline keep the pain at bay and I got to the elevator but once I got to the top the pain hit me. I had to use a wheelchair to get to the car.

8. aks6674

aks6674 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2014
    Holy crap! I felt sorry for myself because my toddler was loud and whiny...