Carl Zeiss Planar 50mm f1.4 T* Adapter

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Gwendal, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    The title describes the lens I just got for what seems to be a reasonable price - now it's time to hunt for the right adapter. The lens was sold with a bunch of Minolta lenses, including two Rokkors. Anybody knows what kind of mount this is ? I have made a number of searches on the Internet, but I remain confused... Thanks in advance

2. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    A photo of the lens mount might help. CZ made lenses in a variety of mounts. I'd bet it's Leica M, but hard to tell without seeing the photo of the mount.

3. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    M mount?? - Isn't the Carl Zeiss Planar 50mm f1.4 T* an SLR lens?

4. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    /shrug - I don't know. That was my guess. Most of my experience with Planar lenses is for RF, not SLR. Like I said, they made these lenses in a bunch of different mounts for SLRs as well - Canon EOS, Nikon-F, Pentax-K, M42, etc. Could be anything. I think the 50/2 is the RF version.

5. Stephan

Stephan Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 21, 2010
    Stavanger (Norway)
    Hi Gwendal,

if it came with a couple of Minolta lenses it might be a Minolta MC or MD mount (same mount basically, MD has some extra features for the later Minolta SLR systems).

Search for this on ebay, there are often fotos from the back of the lens as well.

Cheers, Stephan

PS: you could also look on www.rokkorfiles.com, there are pictures of the bayonet coupling as well.

6. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    It was originally a lens designed for the Contax SLR cameras (not the breech lock G series rangefinders). Subsequently Zeiss manufactured it for a number of mounts, including Nikon (ZF), M42 (ZS), Pentax K (ZK) and Canon EF (ZE).

If yours was the first iteration you will need an Contax/Yashica (C/Y) Mount to Mu-43 Adapter to use it on our cameras.

You will need to study your mount and do some research to find which it is.

See:
    Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm f/1.4 (C/Y) Lens Review

and at the site of the Mother Ship itself...
    Welcome to Carl Zeiss Camera Lenses

... and for encouragment see https://www.mu-43.com/f40/adapted-lens-image-thread-302/

Bokeh Diem

7. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Zeiss 50mm f1.4 Planar T*

I have a Zeiss 50mm f1.4 Planar T* on my Contax 167MT 35mm. It's a good lens that has seen a lot of use over the years, so I was happy to be able to "recycle" it on my Gf1. This lens has a bayonet mount and is not the same as the Contax G mount. The Fotodiox Contax/Yashica (C/Y) adapter works very well to attach it to the Gf1 and is available through Amazon for $39. I've attempted to upload a photo of the Gf1 wearing the Planar and adapter. I'm new at this, so bear with me.

Attached Files:

8. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Finally received it, and made a couple of shots for all of you mount experts...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Went to the Rokkor site, doesn't look like MD mount. Doesn't look either like one of the mounts on the Zeiss website.. any help would be much appreciated !

9. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD

Attached Files:

10. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Finally received my Pentax PK adapter, and indeed it was that mount - thanks a ton !

11. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Mystery solved!

Hey, that's great! I'm glad the link helped. I'd be interested in hearing how well you're able to focus. I'm finding the LCD screen on my GF1 isn't all that much help for manual focusing except at infinity. I just purchased the electronic viewfinder and it helps quite a bit, but it's nowhere near as quick or precise to focus as the ground glass in my Contax. I think it will get better with practice as I get used to it, though. Good luck!

12. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Hello - I have an EP1, which means the only focus option is the Live View, whereas many people here seem to prefer the EVF.

Still, with practice I'm getting better at it, and the Planar is a wonderful gem - here is an example.

[​IMG]

Just for the record : the adapter I've found is a bit tough, you need to force a bit to settle the lens inside (the contact between body and adapter is fine though).