Carl Zeiss Planar 1.4/50 T* dropped in my lap.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by johnny9fingers, May 6, 2011.

1. johnny9fingers

johnny9fingers Mu-43 Veteran

In an earlier post I discussed my desire for two Contax G lenses. The 2.0/45 Planar & the 2.8/90 Sonnar. Just a short while ago, my cousin stopped by and asked if I could use any of his Grandfathers old photo gear. Here are a few pictures:

[​IMG][/url] Contax RTS & lenses by j9fminor, on Flickr[/IMG]

[​IMG][/url] Yashica DSB Zoom 70-210/4 by j9fminor, on Flickr[/IMG]

[​IMG][/url] Carl Zeiss Planar 1.4/50 T* front by j9fminor, on Flickr[/IMG]

Would the 1.4/50 Planar need a Contax/Yashica adapter to mount on my GH1??? The Yashica 70-210 zoom is pretty heavy so I'd be nervous to mount that on the GH1.
    Anyone have experience with the 50 Planar?
  2. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010 lucked out. The 50/1.4 Planar T* is a great lens to mount on :43:.

You just need to get a C/Y to :43: adapter......they're pretty cheap.

You'll enjoy the combo (and the zoom is pretty heavy).

3. johnny9fingers

There are a lot of adapters available, Rayqual, Fotodiux, Kipon, Rainbow Imaging, just to name a few. Which is :43: recommended?
  4. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I use the one from rainbowimaging and it works great. The 50/1.4 is beautiful lens on m4/3.

5. travisennis

travisennis Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2010
    I use the Fotodiox adapter and it works as it should, but it's not perfect. Its build quality is nowhere near as nice as the Panasonic Leica M adapter. I've been thinking about trying the Rayqual or Novoflex adapter, but I've not seen anyone comment on whether their quality matches their price.
  6. aleksanderpolo

aleksanderpolo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Planar is a great lens, the DSB has a so-so reputation, congrats to you.
  7. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    As with all heavy lenses, you carry the gear by the lens and not by the camera and you'll be fine.
  8. johnny9fingers

I'll also look into a lens collar. For me to use a lens with that long a reach without IS will require mounting on a tripod.
  9. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Maybe, maybe not. I use my Vivitar 70-210 on my GH1 with great success hand-held on the occasion when I take it out for a spin. At times I balance it against a fence or my walking stick, but in good sunlight you can offset the instability by having a fast shutter speed.
  10. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    What a great freebie !!!

the Zeiss Contax lenses are superb - I have the 50/1.7 and an 85/1.4

The 50 can be got pretty cheaply - the 85 is more expensive.

Havent used them much on the E-P1, but have shot some nice shots with the 50 on a full sized 4/3 camera. Zeiss lenses seem to have there own character, quiite contrasty and an almost 3D look.... oh and of course they are sharp :)

Contemplating Eric by kevinparis, on Flickr

happy shooting

boy by kevinparis, on Flickr
    • Like Like x 4
  11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    ^^^ very nice images Kevin ...

12. johnny9fingers

Nice photos Kevin, thanks for posting them. 85mm is a sweet focal length (170mm on :43:) and perfect for portraits. The 1.4/85 sounds like a great lens, but I might look for the 2.8/85 as it's smaller, almost the same size as the 50mm.
    Either way any of the CZ line up is likely to be a winner.....
  13. johnny9fingers

Wow Kevin, I just took a look at your 50/1.7 Planar image thread, very nice. :2thumbs:
    Now,after looking at different adapter sites I'm wondering why such a difference in pricing. $20 to $180 is a huge price range. I know the old saying "you get what you pay for", but these are pretty basic items. I had the Fotodiux adapter for Pentax screwmount lenses and it worked fine, and was half the price of other offerings. Maybe I should start a poll to see what is the favored adapter manufacturer for the :43: crowd.
  14. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium

thanks for the kinds words

regarding adaptors, most of mine are ebay chinese models, mainly from Jinfinance, and I have never really had any problems with them. Maybe the more expensive ones are a little more durable, but 180 dollars for a tube of metal is taking the micky in my opinion

15. hanay78

hanay78 New to Mu-43

Feb 16, 2014

Kevin after waching your photos I ordered a contax zeiss planar 50mm f/1.7. 130€ I pais, let see the status when it arrives. Now the question is: so nice lens in mft? why not in nex? Do you have experience? I only own a Pana-GX1 but NEX7 have now a more afordable price, as it is going to disapear. Second hand only 100€ less than new so not worth in my opinion. What do you guys think?