Showcase Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar f:2.8/50 mm [M42 mount]

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
These are my first pictures with the Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar f:2.8/50 mm [M42 mount], mounted on the Olympus E-PL1.

The apertures used are wide open/half past f:5.6 @ ISO200/ISO400.

Some of these are wide open, the rest are mostly half past f:5.6. You can guess for yourself which is which! On the close ups it should be fairly easy to deduce.

This version of Tessar shows some cost cutting, specifically a six bladed iris.
The glass seems to be the same lovely quality as on my Exakta mount Tessars.

Check closely for self portrait in quadruplicate!
_PL12626-01.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
_PL12627-01.jpeg
_PL12659-01.jpeg
_PL12662-01.jpeg
_PL12666-01.jpeg
_PL12665-01.jpeg
_PL12618-01.jpeg
_PL12620-01.jpeg
_PL12630-01.jpeg
_PL12631-01.jpeg
_PL12672-01.jpeg

These pictures are straight out of camera, only the frame added in Snapseed.

First impressions: This is, like its siblings, the Exakta mount Tessars, a sweet lens. This one has a clicked aperture.

How does it look on camera:
https://www.mu-43.com/threads/show-...ns-looks-like-on-your-camera.473/post-1381295

Sebastián L.

New to Mu-43
I love this lens. I use it on my Olympus Epl-7 camera (my Lumix G7 does not recognize it, it must be because of the adapter). This lens, for some reason, is not to everyone's taste, but I love it. It has character, more contrast than other vintage lenses. It is amazing for the price you can find. In addition, in an m4 / 3 camera it becomes 100mm, perfect for portraiture. Very good photos: I like that not so perfect bokeh.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
I use it on my Olympus Epl-7 camera (my Lumix G7 does not recognize it, it must be because of the adapter).
On Panasonic, before G9, you'll have to find the menu option to "Shoot without Lens".
Then it should be possible. On Olympus, there's no such option, it just works...
Please tell if I'm right. I don't have a Lumix.

Sebastián L.

New to Mu-43
On Panasonic, before G9, you'll have to find the menu option to "Shoot without Lens".
Then it should be possible. On Olympus, there's no such option, it just works...
I did it. In fact, my Minolta MD and Industar M39 lenses work well: I believe i'ts because of my Fotga adapter.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
Hmmm... I can't see what could go wrong.

It's about the least complicated adapter you can get.

I've got a US$5:- cheapo Chinese thingie.

Do you have any other M42 lens that works on the Lumix?

How do you attach your Industar to the Lumix?

With M39 to M42 on the Fotga?

A workaround could be to get a Pentax K-mount to M4/3 adapter, and an M42 to K-mount adapter to put in this.

If you don't have any K-mount lenses yet, it's high time anyway!

Best of luck!

Sebastián L.

New to Mu-43
Hmmm... I can't see what could go wrong.

It's about the least complicated adapter you can get.

I've got a US$5:- cheapo Chinese thingie.

Do you have any other M42 lens that works on the Lumix?

How do you attach your Industar to the Lumix?

With M39 to M42 on the Fotga?

A workaround could be to get a Pentax K-mount to M4/3 adapter, and an M42 to K-mount adapter to put in this.

If you don't have any K-mount lenses yet, it's high time anyway!

Best of luck!

Meanwhile, it's the only M42 lens. Industar lens has its own mount to m43. I like the colors of lumix cameras, so I'll buy another adapter (interesting fact about K-mount to M42).

IFor Pentax, I read about SMC Takumar lens (55mm m42 mount). It's seems to have a very good image quality.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
Meanwhile, it's the only M42 lens. Industar lens has its own mount to m43. I like the colors of lumix cameras, so I'll buy another adapter (interesting fact about K-mount to M42).

IFor Pentax, I read about SMC Takumar lens (55mm m42 mount). It's seems to have a very good image quality.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Pentax has a whole bunch of very good 50ish mm lenses. Both in K-mount (SMC Pentax/Bayonet Takumar) and M42 (Takumar/Super Takumar).
Yes, I love Pentax!

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
I thought I had posted my test shots, but guess not -- must've posted in the adapted lens thread instead. Mine's the early version and came off a thrift store Praktica FX. I need to take it out again.

View attachment 824545 P4810240 by Lewis Francis, on Flickr

View attachment 824546 P4810241 by Lewis Francis, on Flickr

View attachment 824547 P4810256 by Lewis Francis, on Flickr

View attachment 824548 P4810263 by Lewis Francis, on Flickr
As was mine. It came on a nice Praktica IV F. Haven't checked the version, but probably early, as yours. EDIT: probably not as early as yours, as the FX is a lot earlier than the IV F.
Nameplate says "Jena Q1 T 1:2,8 f=50 Nr. 6416432".
Do you know what version this is?

PS. Love the radio tubes!

Last edited:

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
As was mine. It came on a nice Praktica IV F. Haven't checked the version, but probably early, as yours. EDIT: probably not as early as yours, as the FX is a lot earlier than the IV F.
Nameplate says "Jena Q1 T 1:2,8 f=50 Nr. 6416432".
Do you know what version this is?

PS. Love the radio tubes!

Thanks! According to this serial number document your's would've been made in 1961-64. Mine is from 1952-1955, is silver-bodied and has 15 blades, looks like this:

38347934421_1573f2f11f_z.jpg
Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm ƒ2.8 adapted to a Lumix GX7 by Lewis Francis, on Flickr

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Huh, after looking at your original post and the link showing the lens on your camera, I think your copy must be a much later version -- I expected it to be a zebra-striped lens, which would match the serial number date. I'm also confused by the silver aperture ring. Anyway, here's another resource from my notes that may help you date it: http://vintage-camera-lenses.com/carl-zeiss-jena-tessar-50mm-2-8/

Update: this resource shows your lens with the silver aperture ring in roughly the same time period, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

Last edited:

Sebastián L.

New to Mu-43
Serial numbers (and year) in CZJ Tessar it's a difficult thing. My version is zebra, but this lens has five digits: some forums mention that in the 1980s, the factory changed and shortened the numbering.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
Thanks! According to this serial number document your's would've been made in 1961-64. Mine is from 1952-1955, is silver-bodied and has 15 blades, looks like this:

View attachment 824569 Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm ƒ2.8 adapted to a Lumix GX7 by Lewis Francis, on Flickr
Nice! Looks like my Exakta mount f:2.8/50 mm!
https://www.mu-43.com/threads/show-...ns-looks-like-on-your-camera.473/post-1380018
Probably same model lens with a different mount.
But yours has the Vorwahlblende, it looks like.

FV5_0040-01-01.jpeg

And the age of my M42 lens would correspond with the age of my Praktica IV F.
Thanks for the serial number links!

Last edited:

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
Interesting -- this page claims 14 blades instead of the 15 I claimed, which could very well be. My stereo vision is quite poor due to a not entirely successful retina reattachment surgery. ;)
Only way to be really sure is to take a good picture, print it out, dot'em with a pen, and count the dots.

I shouldn't think that they changed the number of leaves arbitrarily in the same model/series lens.

Between models and series, yes.

Anyway, the high leaf number aperture lenses have a really nice bokeh, whether 12, 13, 14 or 15 leaves.

Like my vorwahlspringblende Tessar.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom