Carl Zeiss 50mm 1,4

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by r.helgason, Dec 8, 2010.

1. r.helgason

r.helgason Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 7, 2010
    Iceland
  2. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Just a few quick points

with the x 2 crop factor it gets to 100mm equivalent in old 35mm conventional terms

It is a fast lens at f1.4 and Manual focus

Check out a manual focus lens on your M43 cam before you spend Euros 640 - are you happy with Manual Focus? - once you get to 100mm they start getting difficult to focus (for some people) especially wide open

Once you have decided that you want such a lens, and Zeiss are really great, what mount do you want - Rangefinder or SLR, (DSLR) - maybe the (Rangefinder) Leica M mount ZM series should also be considered as if you ever want to sell it is more versatile than a specific Nikon or Canon mount
    (and RF shooters are more discerning - add later !!!!!!!!)

You will also need an adapter to mount it on your M43 - some (the M43 to Canon, for example) are more difficult to use than others, (say the M43 to Nikon)

(also search for some images on the web - there must be quite a few around)

Hope my comments help

Good luck

• Like Like x 1
  3. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I am a shooter of M-mount cameras and use m4/3rds to augment my bag. I also adapt a collection of vintage M42 takumars. Just some of my personal thoughts to add to the above:

* Adapting lenses to M4/3rds require the adapter to extend outward in order to maintain proper flange distance. For SLR lenses, this increases the overall size of the camera... simply its no longer "compact". As such, I generally prefer camera systems with short flange distances; leica screwmount, contax rangefinder, and M-mounts. Some of these lenses are smaller than m4/3rd native lenses.

* Buying an expensive lens specifically to be adapted is not much of a value proposition. As mentioned above, the same amount of cash can obtain fairly nice native lenses that autofocus properly. If you already have a collection of lenses, then this system of adapting brings on a huge value. If you already have another system with lenses, adapting can bring dual use of its glass. Many members here bought into the idea of m4/3rds in part because they have lots of old glass that they'd like to enjoy in the era of digital.

* 50mm lens is fairly long on a m4/3rds. This may be what you are looking for but I just wanted to stress that 50mm is not a "normal" focal length on this 2x crop system

* If a fast manual focus 50mm is what you seek, there are many options that are of more value. Camera systems that are no longer in production have lenses that are VERY inexpensive on the used market. Many are very good by today's standards

* Is there a specific reason for the interest in the Zeiss planar? Are you interested in the way it looks/renders? If so, then great. I don't have specific experience with that particular lens but the couple of Zeiss lenses I have tried render very classically (IIRC Sonnar 50mm on ZM). Very different from the very precise (sharp), some would say "clinical", renderings from Leica's current lenses of aspherical design.

Good luck with your decision.

btw.. this might be some use for you:

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1144/cat/98

• Like Like x 1
  4. r.helgason

r.helgason Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 7, 2010
    Iceland

Thanks for the comment :)
    I think SLR mount will be better its not muts options here in my contry to buy parts so i think it will be olympius adapter

ok 50mm wil bee 100mm i can also get 35mm 1,4 then sy will be 70mm on my M43

well its no propleme to manual Focus for me its ok

will 35mm will be better to focus wide open !!!!!

5. r.helgason

r.helgason Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 7, 2010
    Iceland
    No its no specific reason im intrest in Zeiss im just looking for prefect sharpness and good glass

6. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    the wider the better, (and also more expensive for the same f value) - but it depends what you want to do with the lens
    35mm = 70mm which is useful for portraits plus lots of other stuff
    What is the cost of a 35mm f1.4 versus the 50mm f1.4
    a 35mm f2 will be cheaper

TRY them both out in the store if you can - or at least try a 35mm and 50mm on your EP

It depends on what you want to shoot with it - for me I'd go for the 35mm over the 50mm on the M43, (but that's MY preference) - and some would say that 35mm is not wide enough on M43

The Canon FD 35mm f2 is really great and you will pick a good used one up for less than Euros 100

Test as many as you can before you spend that kind of money (but I have a Zeiss ZM 28mm f2.8 which is one of my favourite lens on any cam that I can fit it to)

Take your time and be sure - it's a lot of money - (but it is a great lens and worth it, IMHO, if you need (want) (desire) it)

Take care

7. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    PS: Agree with usayit

I would not buy a NEW Zeiss Z lens - DSLR or M mount just specifically to use on M43 - if you have other cams that you can use the lens on, then yes

there are lots of good used SLR and M mounts lenses out there that you can buy for a fraction of the price

But at the end of the day it's your money - and I would rather have a nice Zeiss lens than leaving the money with one of these (robbers), called Banks (well maybe, if you see what I mean)

The 20mm f1.7 PL is a really remarkable lens if you do not have it - I am always (pleasantly) surprised at the images it produces (it does not of course render or "look" like an image from a Zeiss ZM - they are different - both very good)

Of course just my opinions - there are lots of guys on this Forum who can add honest and experienced views to what has been said - it's a great forum

Have some fun!

8. r.helgason

r.helgason Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 7, 2010
    Iceland
    Yes im so agree you with the bank :mad:

its my only cam E-P2 this days and i love it:2thumbs: i have use Canon cam for many yers from 20D to 1DS MARK II 5DII AND 7D and im very bored to use Canon and muts gear with me.

im shoting just all thinks : model. Landscape streed,Norten light, ships and boad

im gonna test some lenses in the store when i have buy the adapter and try to find some photos with this lenses 20mm f1.7 PL and Zeiss

9. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Looking forward to some great shots from Iceland and you guys know all about BANKS!!!!

10. r.helgason

r.helgason Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 7, 2010
    Iceland

Thanks yes i will post some photos soon

11. r.helgason

r.helgason Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 7, 2010
    Iceland
  12. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    To me the appeal of adapted lenses on m43 is the ability to get good glass for a reasonable price. Also, the 2x crop factor makes some lenses more interesting than others. I like wildlife photography and so that means I can get long lenses that are reasonably fast for much less than I would on film or full frame cameras. For instance, I just picked up a Vivitar 70-210 2.8/4. It's nice and sharp, contrasty, can close focus and gives me a 150-420 reach all for $39. Add to that the fact that my EPL1 has IBIS and it's a nice stabilized long lens that can give decent images for not much cash.

• Like Like x 1
  13. r.helgason

r.helgason Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 7, 2010
    Iceland

Vivitar 70-210 2.8/4. thats good to now ok i nide to look at here next time
    becose im photograph also from long distens :thumbup: Are you using series 1 or

14. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

I recently got the vivitar 70-210/3.5 series 1 mk2 for £16, it's a fantastic lens and highly recommended by me! Take a look at this thread to see some of the images from it

15. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    It's a Series 1 and as far as I can tell it's a Cosina made 4th version. I like it.

16. sandhuatm43

sandhuatm43 New to Mu-43

Nov 30, 2010
    I am also looking at the Zeiss Planar 50mm f1.4 screw mount so I can use it with both my E-PL1 and Pentax K-x. But I am also tempted by the Voigtlander 50mm f1.1. Granted that the Voigtlander is more expensive and can only be used on the E-PL1 but it seems like it will perform better at f1.4 than the Zeiss because the Zeiss will be wide open at that aperture plus an aperture of 1.1 is just too tempting :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Ah, northern lights... Would LOVE to see some shots and/or how-tos from your part. I know there's at least one other forum member who's interested !

• Like Like x 1