careful with Aperture and Flickr (deleted photos!)

chenick

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Nick
Hi all,

I learned the hard way - Aperture can delete sets, photos, etc from Flickr without warning. (this was using the 3.1 trial version)

Just a caveat for those of you trying Aperture with Flickr integration - it performs a sync as opposed to just publishing photos, so if you remove a set from Aperture it gets deleted from Flickr :(

Boo!
I won't be using Aperture (not for this reason, but because it was really slow on my computer)

Nick

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
Yeah, I've had all sorts of confusion when I tried linking the two. I still use Aperture, but when I post something on Flickr, I create my own jpeg first and then import it directly because the automatic sync is just a series of problems waiting to happen.

-Ray

deirdre

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It took me a while to come to terms with Aperture managing Flickr. I think we're finally understanding each other.

avidone

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I still need to understand this, because I just started using both flikr and aperture and set them up to "work together"; I did notice that when I was fiddling around trying some pp adjustments on one photo already posted to flikr, that it seemed to automatically post the variation as well.

not sure that I like that , but also not sure whether how I saved it or whatever caused that to happen... well, gotta learn this slowly

timallenphoto

Mu-43 Veteran
I tried the trial of Aperture 3 times and tried hard to like it but I think it's an awful bit of software, how it can run so slowly on decent spec Macs I'll never know. Tried Lightroom and it's night and day better in my opinion.

chenick

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Nick
Yeah, I really wanted to like it, but it was really slow doing stuff as basic as resizing or exporting, plus it often made the computer very unresponsive (even if the CPU was hardly being used.)

Also, 2GB RAM and disk lowish on space probably didn't help, I think most of the people who say they have no problems have 8GB of RAM and plenty of disk space :)

I'll give Lightroom a shot, and try Aperture again when I've upgraded memory and disk...

-Nick

I tried the trial of Aperture 3 times and tried hard to like it but I think it's an awful bit of software, how it can run so slowly on decent spec Macs I'll never know. Tried Lightroom and it's night and day better in my opinion.

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
I had a couple of year old imac and it ran fine, but it ran a lot better when I added RAM to take it from 4 to 8 gigs. Now I have a new iMac with 8 gigs and its blazingly fast. Even the new version of Silver Efex Pro is really fast on this machine, and it was barely useable on the previous machine.

-Ray

timallenphoto

Mu-43 Veteran
Yes it seems like a really fast Mac with 8gb of ram is what's needed, which doesn't really fit with it's new bargain price tag IMO. I also didn't like the way it handled files and having one slider for noise reduction was laughable compared to Lr.

timallenphoto

Mu-43 Veteran
Yes it is cheap now, as soon as the new Mac Mini's come out I'll be trading in my 13" MB Pro for one and maxing the ram. Lr runs fine with 4gb on my current Mac though.

Latest threads

Top Bottom