Careful in Long Beach

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by GaryAyala, Aug 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
  2. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    Somewhat on topic, I snapped a few photos at an airport several years ago and I had airport security tail me for a good 10 minutes before stopping me and questioning me about my criminal intentions.

3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
  4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
  5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Wow, that's really something. Giving cops the license to judge the aesthetic value of photographs and detain people based on the lack thereof is definitely a new one to me. Be interested to see how this one develops...

I was shooting on Market Street in Philly early Monday morning (morning rush - people are out, you know) and one of Philly's finest started up a conversation with me. It was all very pleasant - I think he was just getting a feel for whether I was someone he needed to keep an eye on or not and I knew enough of the city and joked around with him to the extent that I think he was comfortable I was no threat - but he sure never attempted to judge my work!

-Ray

6. mguffin

mguffin Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    Westwood, NJ
    Why would someone take a picture "with no aesthetic value"... Even a photo of something ordinary has some value to the photographer, or why waste the pixels...

7. Trigeek

Trigeek Mu-43 Regular

While Amin can run this site any way he wishes, I'm curious as to why photographers rights are a no no. Seems counter intuitive to a site dedicated to photography.

8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    We just had a whole discussion of that, based on an older full discussion of that. You could look it up...

-Ray

9. Y-V-E-S

Y-V-E-S Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Yves Gajardo
    Gary, Thanks for the alert!!

10. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Oh wow.. will they soon train police on having an eye for "aesthetic value"?

.... Yep, didn't think so.

11. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

12. Maeda

Maeda Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    I love california.

13. For the time being anyway, that is the site policy. You can add any thoughts you have on this matter to the recent thread in the Open Discussion forum called "Thread closed?" Can't seem to link it through my phone. Be sure to read the entire thread while you are there.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.