1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Card problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by michaelfinch, Apr 18, 2011.

1. michaelfinch

michaelfinch Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2010
    Lancashire, England
    Hi all. I have a problem with one of my SDHC cards (Lexar 8Gb). I've been using it with my GF1 but when I try to download images to my computer all I can see is a single grey pane tagged exec and named as 102_PANA but I can't see any pic files. I can see all the pics when I review them in camera. I haven't come across this before and haven't had a problem with other cards.
    My normal procedure is to download to a folder, copy to an external back-up HD and then reformat the card in-camera. I'm currently using an iMac (G4). Any clues most welcome.

Cheers
    Michael

2. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    The card could be corrupt. The only thing now is to see if you can recover the files. I had a similar problem: I took some pictures, the camera could see them, but they did not show on the download. The camera would not show them again and there was space used on the card. The end of the story was not good. The files could not be recovered and the card was tossed.

3. michaelfinch

Sep 24, 2010
    Lancashire, England
    I'm beginning to suspect the worst................but I'm not giving up yet. The pics remain on the card and still show via the camera. In fact, I downloaded some of them a week ago but didn't reformat the card at that time. The rest SHOULD download but won't.
    Cheers
    Michael

4. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    See if you can get some file recovery software. The fact the camera still sees them may be a good sign.

5. michaelfinch

Sep 24, 2010
    Lancashire, England
    Thanks. That's probably the next step. First though, I'm going to try a couple of different PCs. It's a long shot but who knows. I've got around 90 pics on a card the camera can play back but all I get on the computer screen is a single Unix file.
    Cheers
    Michael

6. Are you downloading via cable or card reader/card slot?

7. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    try downloading via cable, if camera can see the pics, it might be able to download them also. There are plenty of recovery programs if this fails....
    good luck

• Like Like x 1
  8. michaelfinch

Sep 24, 2010
    Lancashire, England
    Thanks everyone. I've used a card reader and a cable connection but computer no can see. If I work it out I'll post how I managed it (got to be an optimist!).
    Cheers
    Michael

9. michaelfinch

Sep 24, 2010
    Lancashire, England
    Hi all. I downloaded a trial recovery prog but to no avail.
    Spoke just now to Lexar about the problem. Very helpful people who suggested the one thing I hadn't tried: put card in another camera, take a pic and then try to download it. That worked. But only for that single image.
    The suggestion was that the settings on my G1 must have been changed and that needed changing. Does anyone know what this entails?
    Cheers
    Michael