Car Magazine Diecast Cover Models

Alpha Whiskey Photography

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I’m sure this has been done before but someone recently asked me if diecast model cars could be convincingly used on magazine covers, with the inevitable saving in cost and time compared to using the real thing. So I took it upon myself to make a little project using images from my archive and placing them onto some made-up car magazine covers.

Arguably this is as much digital art as it is photography but it did require the use of a camera so the latter still sings true. The car shots were re-edited and placed onto a print template in Photoshop, where I proceeded to make up some (admittedly silly) magazine titles and cover text. The use of a barcode added a little authenticity (he says).

There doesn’t appear to be any particular rules on how car magazine covers are designed; most show a single car either in a pose outside or shot and lit in a studio, or in motion on a track in various angles. While I did attempt some static ‘studio’ type shots I mainly opted to make my cover models look as dynamic as possible as this is what appeals to my eye.

I also knocked up a couple of quick retro posters that might be found as a pull-out or inside the magazine.

The model cars were 1/18, 1/24, 1/36, and 1/43 scale.

Now, obviously, this kind of thing can be done with any subject; you can take your favourite landscape or macro pics, for example, and put them on a fake cover with relevant text as a means of showcasing your work. If nothing else it may demonstrate to real magazine editors that your work is worthy of a cover design.

Try it and have some fun. I did.

Background trees and leaves obviously added in post. Car was shot on a surface sprayed with concrete texture paint.
1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

1/36 Honda model. Spotlit with blue and yellow pen lights and smoke blown under with a vaping device.
6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

And a couple of retro posters...
13.jpg

14.jpg

MORE HERE

Last edited:

fishtug

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Monty
Great idea and obviously a lot of time and effort went into this - Looks like fun - However I find the
lack of a driver/drivers behind the wheel in the 'action' shots very distracting -

Mack

Mu-43 Top Veteran
This is neat! :2thumbs:

I bought a die cast Jeep and was thinking of doing this. I did find a few videos by railroad diorama makers who have made some very realistic scenery for the diecast models.

Luke Towan, of BoulderCreekRailroad.com, has a bunch of videos on diorama making. This intro one has a lot of info on making a dirt road for the model. Even growing tall grass blades using some electrical charge device.

I even put a small blue LED on the end of a long black brass tube so I could draw in some headlight beams off the Jeep onto a road using the "Composite Mode" of the Olympus. Now if I ever get around to doing it....

I own a Corvette, and at every opportunity I fold myself into the seat and think, "The 'Vette gets 'em wet."

I'm not quite sure who "'em" is, but I imagine they'll show up sooner or later.

Nice work.

Jock Elliott

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jock Elliott
Impressive! I like not only the shots but also the graphic design.

Clearly it was a lot of work and a lot of attention to detail.

Well done!

Cheers, Jock

jrsilva

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Jaime
I’m sure this has been done before but someone recently asked me if diecast model cars could be convincingly used on magazine covers, with the inevitable saving in cost and time compared to using the real thing. So I took it upon myself to make a little project using images from my archive and placing them onto some made-up car magazine covers.

Arguably this is as much digital art as it is photography but it did require the use of a camera so the latter still sings true. The car shots were re-edited and placed onto a print template in Photoshop, where I proceeded to make up some (admittedly silly) magazine titles and cover text. The use of a barcode added a little authenticity (he says).

There doesn’t appear to be any particular rules on how car magazine covers are designed; most show a single car either in a pose outside or shot and lit in a studio, or in motion on a track in various angles. While I did attempt some static ‘studio’ type shots I mainly opted to make my cover models look as dynamic as possible as this is what appeals to my eye.

I also knocked up a couple of quick retro posters that might be found as a pull-out or inside the magazine.

The model cars were 1/18, 1/24, 1/36, and 1/43 scale.

Now, obviously, this kind of thing can be done with any subject; you can take your favourite landscape or macro pics, for example, and put them on a fake cover with relevant text as a means of showcasing your work. If nothing else it may demonstrate to real magazine editors that your work is worthy of a cover design.

Try it and have some fun. I did.

Background trees and leaves obviously added in post. Car was shot on a surface sprayed with concrete texture paint.
View attachment 779456
View attachment 779457
View attachment 779458
View attachment 779459
View attachment 779460

1/36 Honda model. Spotlit with blue and yellow pen lights and smoke blown under with a vaping device.
View attachment 779461
View attachment 779462
View attachment 779463
View attachment 779464
View attachment 779465
View attachment 779466
View attachment 779467

And a couple of retro posters...
View attachment 779468
View attachment 779469
MORE HERE

Wow!
Very well done.
Some of them are very close to real.
They sure trick anyone that doesn't know how it was made.
Thank's for sharing!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom