Capturing the Perseids meteor shower Monday night

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by sooper, Aug 11, 2013.

1. sooper

sooper Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2012
    Weather forecast for tomorrow is looking good so I'd love to get some shots of the meteor shower here in the UK.

I have an Olympus OM-D, Pany 20mm, Oly 12-50mm, Pany 14-45mm, Tripod. No ND filters I'm afraid. Wondering if I get some pointers/shooting tips and settings I should use.

Just hope the english weather doesn't live up to its reputation tomorrow night!

2. jglover

jglover Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 28, 2010
    Naperville, IL
    It's a trade off for lenses. The 20mm will give you a brighter aperture and a better chance to catch more meteors, but the 12-50 set at 12mm will let you cover more sky. Whichever you choose you generally point your camera about 50-60 degrees above the horizon and about 35 degrees away from the radiant point of the shower. Shoot with the lens wide open.

Your ISO setting will generally be high, 800-1600 or even higher if your sky is not very bright. You'll be picking up some ambient light pollution as well, so you need to experiment a bit. You'll also need to experiment with exposure times, but 15 seconds is a good starting point as it will give you enough time to catch a meteor. Once you start to go much beyond thirty seconds or so, you'll begin to get stars starting to trail. It takes patience but if you spend some time at it, chances are you'll catch a couple nice meteor trails.