Capture One will not be supporting Capture One 20 on new Mac M1 Computers

Ranger Rick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rick
After corresponding with C1 about if/when they will provide an update for C1 20 to allow use on my new MacBook Pro, I received a reply that they will not be doing that and that I should update to C1 21 if I want to continue using C1. It does not work on the M1 computers, freezing at the closing of the app. And even C1 21 does not yet support the M1 computers, after all it has only been, what, six months since they were introduced?

I have purchased every update going back to V 6 or 7, decided this time to skip a version as I didn't see much of significance in the new version. Now, six months after the new version 21 was launched, it is useless.

I wouldn't expect C1 to provide any new feature updates from v21, just a usability feature. I've been using it in "light" mode while continuing with Lightroom as primary image processor. I have no intention of "relying" on a software application which behaves like C1, so bidding farewell to C1. Several other image processing-related apps have handled this smoothly, C1 has not.

Anyone contemplating using C1 should consider that it really is a subscription model you must purchase every time, and at a much greater cost than LR/PS which I see so many complaints about. The reality is that LR/PS is much more consumer-friendly and wallet-friendly than C1.

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
Since 2014, I have spent $335 USD on Capture One ($149 for version 7, $49 for upgrade to 9, $137 for upgrade to 12, free upgrade to 20). You are saying that I would have saved money by subscribing to Lightroom instead? What a fool I have been.

Ranger Rick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rick
Sorry to hear about that, but never too late to learn. Upgrade to C1 21 from 20 is $199 US. Even if you catch a 30% sale, still $140. LR (and Photoshop) is $120. Hope that helps!

Keeth101

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Not that I know anything about Apples products but maybe the problem lies with Apple for changing things too much so that certain programs will no longer work on them. Why expect C1 to keep trying to find solutions for Apples constant changes and efforts to make their users dependant on only Apple apps.

No problems for us PC users.

No offence intended to any Apple user

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
I've recently upgraded to C1 21 from C1 12 as it suits me to only upgrade on every second one, but only when there is an added discount, so I'm not outlaying too much (on my Win 10 laptop).

Last edited:

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
"No offence intended to any Apple user"

Not taken. I was ever so grateful to move to ARM from the arms of Intel. C1P beta in testing. :thumbup:

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
There is probably more hardware variation with Windows/Linux PCs than with Mac PCs, so I'm not sure Apple is to blame. Apple choosing the components they feel is best for their PCs, just like anyone building a Windows/Linux PC would? Good for them. But at the same time, I think Phase One is probably not alone in struggling to keep their software up-to-date. Apple not afraid to take the first step and push personal computers forward, but obviously being ahead means everyone else will have to catch up.

The thing that annoys me about Capture One is how much the prices have increased over the years. Regular price of upgrade doubled for version 12 and 20 compared to version 9, and apparently it increased again for version 21.

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Not that I know anything about Apples products but maybe the problem lies with Apple for changing things too much so that certain programs will no longer work on them. Why expect C1 to keep trying to find solutions for Apples constant changes and efforts to make their users dependant on only Apple apps.

No problems for us PC users.

No offence intended to any Apple user
Both Photoshop and Lightroom were usable on Apple's new M1 chip day of launch albeit in emulation mode. That's no doubt due to Adobe's developers following Apple's future-facing coding best practices. Can't blame C1, though, for wanting to charge for making an optimized M1 native version, though it would be nice of them to fix a crashing bug for those who are happy to use the older version in emulation for the time being.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom