Capture One released version 14.3.0

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
Capture One released version 14.3.0. Here are the main improvements:
Magic Brush: Make complex masks in a split-second, so you can accurately focus your edits on any area of your photo. Simply doodle over the area you wish to mask using the Magic Brush and Capture One fills in the rest for you.
Effortless Export: Make exporting quick and easy – we’ve redesigned the Exporter so you get the entire suite of options, all in one place. Plus, we’ve added a powerful Proofing Viewer that visualizes your final photo with all your output settings applied – guaranteeing a perfect result before you export. And for an even simpler workflow, you can now replace images on export – one of our top-requested export features!
Show images in subfolders: It’s now easier than ever to keep track of all the photos in your Catalogs. We added the option to show images across subfolders when you’re browsing Catalogs – one of our most–asked-for organization features!
Synchronize new subfolders: Always keep your Catalog in sync with your hard disk – and cut down on the time you spend manually importing photos. Capture One now synchronizes new subfolders that are waiting on your hard disk and aren’t yet part of your Catalog.
(From Photo Rumors)

Last edited:

doady

Mu-43 All-Pro
I use C1 but version 13/20. Dehaze and Magic Brush seem interesting but I typically only update every 2-3 versions and when there is a discount, because I am not rich. Also, since they no longer support Windows 7, I will have to build a new computer with Windows 10 to be able to update to version 14/21 or later. My current 12-year-old machine is already below the official hardware requirements for version 13/20, let alone version 14/21.

In the past, I would not hesitate to recommend C1, especially for those who don't want to pay a subscription fee for software, but the prices for C1 have increased a lot over the years. I also have to say, I have never cared about noise reduction, so that has never factored into my decision to use C1.

OldRadioGuy

Enthusiast Amateur
Real Name
Bob
I used the current version of C1 for a time. I agree it has an excellent raw engine, but I don't like its cataloging and non-cataloging systems and it doesn't play well with those of us in the no-Adobe world. Using Photo Mechanic Plus, DxO PhotoLab and ON1 work well for me. I'm with Glenn on the advantages of ACDSee though. If they only had a superior suite for Mac!

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
I used the current version of C1 for a time. I agree it has an excellent raw engine, but I don't like its cataloging and non-cataloging systems and it doesn't play well with those of us in the no-Adobe world. Using Photo Mechanic Plus, DxO PhotoLab and ON1 work well for me. I'm with Glenn on the advantages of ACDSee though. If they only had a superior suite for Mac!
I don't use any of its cataloguing functions etc, just single edits when I want something better than Olympus Workspace (which is reasonably frequent for anything decent).

GBarrington

Mu-43 All-Pro
I don't use any of its cataloguing functions etc, just single edits when I want something better than Olympus Workspace (which is reasonably frequent for anything decent).
IMO, at least in the PC world, the only two standalone products with GOOD cataloging functionality are ACDSee, and Lightroom. The others are, OK, at best. Suitable for light duty use, but not for 'mission critical' stuff.

doady

Mu-43 All-Pro
I make a new Catalog for each year, because my 12 year old computer cannot handle extremely large Catalogs anyways. But even with a new computer I would probably still make a Catalog for each year, just to be more organized.

Even if you prefer to organize your RAW files a certain way, Capture One remembers the location of every folder you add to a Catalog, and you can browse files according to the folder structure. There's zero reason to do single edits only and not have any Catalogs. The Catalogs not only keep track of the locations of your folders and files, but also preserves the edits that you do to any the files.

Every time I edit or re-edit, I always Clone Variant and do the edits on the new variant, so not only can I compare my newest edits to the original unedited version of the RAW file, but I can also compare to the previous edit. Re-evaluating your previous work and building upon it is an important part of improving one's post-processing skills and growing overall as a photographer. Catalogs aren't just for RAW files. If you are just doing single edits instead of keeping and building any Catalogs, you are not preserving your edits, there is nothing to build upon.

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
IMO, at least in the PC world, the only two standalone products with GOOD cataloging functionality are ACDSee, and Lightroom. The others are, OK, at best. Suitable for light duty use, but not for 'mission critical' stuff.
Ermm ...

What about Adobe Bridge, Glen?

And doesn't lock you into anything.

Keywords are even searchable using the (truly horrible) Microsoft Search program!

GBarrington

Mu-43 All-Pro
Ermm ...

What about Adobe Bridge, Glen?

And doesn't lock you into anything.

Keywords are even searchable using the (truly horrible) Microsoft Search program!
Well, I consider it a photo browser with very basic keyword functions. The last time I looked at it, which admittedly was 3 - 4 years ago, it didn't create a catalog database, couldn't do complex searches, stored searches, collections, include/exclude special folders, database backups, that sort of thing. Indeed, why would Adobe want to create a competitor for Lightroom?

Now, I would never say that certain tools should never be used. If something works for you, or for someone else, then by all means it should be used. But there is a level of organizational sophistication that photo browsers lack, even those with built in keywording, that I personally would not want to do without.

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
Actually, Glen, Bridge has been able to do most (all?) of those things since before LR was a beta version.

Schewe and Fraser devote about 90 pages just to Bridge in "Real World Adobe Camera Raw". Further references are sprinkled through the book.

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
14.3.1 is out
Capture One 21 (14.3.1) is a service release containing new operating system support, new camera and lens support, important bug fixes, and the new service, Capture One Live BETA.

Capture One Live BETA – real-time feedback from anywhere
Capture One Live is a new service that enables easy remote collaboration between photographers and their clients and partners. Through Capture One Live, the client can review, rate, and color tag the photos that the photographer is sharing, and these ratings and color tags are synchronized to Capture One in real-time. Sharing sessions can be accessed from anywhere, from any device. Only a web browser is needed.

Currently, Capture One Live is in BETA, and photographers need to sign up at www.captureone.com/live to get access to the service. When Capture One Live goes out of beta, it will be available as an add-on service.

To read more about Capture One Live and how to use it, follow the links below.

https://www.captureone.com/en/live

https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/4403611619985-Capture-One-Live-overview

Operating System Support

Capture One 21 (14.3.1) is supported up to MacOS 11.5.1

New Camera Support

• Panasonic DC-FZ80
To find the full list of all supported cameras, click here.

New Lens Support

• Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM (Sony E)
To find the full list of all supported lenses, click here.

apete

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Piotr
Only one response? Maybe because of sites being down? Not many Capture One users?
Not sure if there are many, but I am one of them since ver 7. I am using only basic features, but the RAW color quality is amazing so I stick to that. Also C1 local adjustments are something I was very missing in DXO.

Speaking of 21, I just got email that there will be two new long awaited features added: HDR merging and panorama stitching. This is to be released later this year. I wonder if it is going to be a part of a new build and free upgrade for 21 users, or we will need to pay to upgrade to 22.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
Not sure if there are many, but I am one of them since ver 7. I am using only basic features, but the RAW color quality is amazing so I stick to that. Also C1 local adjustments are something I was very missing in DXO.

Speaking of 21, I just got email that there will be two new long awaited features added: HDR merging and panorama stitching. This is to be released later this year. I wonder if it is going to be a part of a new build and free upgrade for 21 users, or we will need to pay to upgrade to 22.
It will come in CO22 only.

doady

Mu-43 All-Pro
I came back from a 2 week trip and all the photos were in one huge folder and I forgot to split them up when I imported them to Capture One, but found the "Albums" feature in the catalogue useful to split them up. There's also rating system and colour tags and keywords, but I don't know how to use them. Even after all these years, this is all still new to me, lol.

I used to be into panoramas and I even bought some software for stitching panos way back in the day but I lost interest in panos. Composite photos were never not really my thing but still HDR and panoramas will be interesting additions for sure, to be able to stay within the Capture One environment. I never tried HDR before, maybe it will be time to experiment. Along with Dehaze, these new features might actually be worth the upgrade to 22 (from 20).

I've been using Capture One since 7 as well, and based on my limited experience I thought 9 was a huge leap from 7, especially the highlight and shadow recovery. Much more natural looking pictures, very shocking difference.

12 and 13/20 further refined from 9. Definite improvements, but not such a massive leap as before. Diminishing returns? How much more do I really need, right? How much better can it get? And yet somehow the upgrade price keeps going up and up...

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew
Ahhh, Ross.
Much as capture one looks good (always has), I'm too old and too buggered to ditch 16+ years experience with Adobe, such as it is.
I am a bit like that as well but really would like to move away from Lightroom. With the semester coming to an end soon, I will have the summer to have a play with other options. Considering a look a Photo Raw 2022 and ACDSee (the last time I played with ACDSee must have been 20 years ago. A really different product now!). Capture One is probably too expensive I think for my needs.

Latest threads

Top Bottom