1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Capture One pro Or Lightroom, RAW converter ???

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by PantelisMor, May 16, 2016.

1. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
    Hello. I am user of LR about 2 years.I use as a cataloging and raw conversion. I am very satisfied with this App. Today i installed Capture one. I was surprised with the image quality. I would like to hear your opinion. What are the advantages of Capture one ??

2. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
    After using lightroom for many years and now with C1, I don't look back, it's faster and you have incredible output without the need of changing every slides like a mad man. And you don't have this crap cc subscription that you have to call when you want to end it

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

CaptureOne does offer a subscription as well (that costs more than Adobe), so no need to bring that into the argument.

I'm a new Adobe user, but I am not particularly impressed with the output quality. I like some of the color tweaks and shadow/highlight recovery, but I think sharpness, noise and white balance is mediocre. I also frequently run into low light skin color issues that require 10 minutes of slider trial and error to fix.

It's nice for image management, though.

4. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

Well, even though most graphics software publishers offer some sort of subscription service, I think the subscription issue is fair to bring up with discussions of Adobe software. Primarily because to my knowledge, none of the others have incorporated it into their business model the way Adobe has. They've done this to the point where 4 years after moving to the CC model, people STILL have to write posts asking how to even FIND the license purchase page for V6. And again to my knowledge no other software publishers penalize the purchaser by only selling the version that was available 4 years ago.

To my knowledge, no other publisher makes buying their product outright this difficult.

5. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I don't understand why people get so angry about Adobe's subscription model. I just skip Starbucks and take coffee from home two times a month and it pays for my editing programs. I only have the subscription for PS/LR and it's cheaper then buying the upgrade every 18-24 months and I always have the latest software.

It has even done away with waiting 18-24 months to get new features. Now they roll out new features a lot faster.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

Well, I'm not angry! I left Adobe four years ago for artistic reasons just weeks before the CC announcement. Lightroom especially, simply wasn't meeting my needs. I went to ACDSee Pro because it allowed me to get the photos I want EASIER than Lr did.

Maybe Lr has changed since then and would now meet my needs better than it did, I don't know, I haven't been motivated to find out.

The subscription model wouldn't stop me from using Adobe products if I genuinely believed I could get a better image out of Adobe than I can something else, but right now, I simply don't believe that.

7. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
    Well I sort of agree with you however here in canada with the us change and the taxes, It's 14.84 a month or 177.74 a year and 355 every 2 year. And in my opinion there are not many new features every year that justify this price. But I didn't left adobe for the price but for the slower software each year even with a powerfull pc.

8. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    Yeah I agree with the slowness of lightroom. It is getting slower and is an issue. It would be the biggest thing which would make me move. I haven't really found a good alternative to be honest. There are lots of decent raw processors but not many good catalog systems. Lightroom is a good catalog and a decent RAW processor with the ability to use plugins in it's workflow. I use the print module and publish to the web from it. That type of convenience keeps me using it.

9. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Adobe subscription doesn't meet my needs so am interested in the answers to OP's question before the hijack.

10. roelwillems

roelwillems Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2015
    Roel Willems
    I'm also not very fond of the basic quality provided by LR. Adobe is indeed quite mediocre in regards of noise, sharpning, contrast and white balance. For important shots I am using DxO in addition to Lightroom for the quality boost is provides for Olympus raw files and using Lightroom/Photoshop for final editing (which is great) and management/catalog photos.

Although I must admit it's quite a hassle using both in processing and am using DxO less often that I was expecting. Even with the plugin/export functionality I've not nailed a fluent workflow.

11. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
  12. Dragos101

Dragos101 Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Bucharest, Romania
    Dragos
    I generally try to stay out of these threads because I already stated my opinion a few times. Without going into much detail, for my personal needs, which put highest emphasis on portraits, C1 is unusable and the absolute best is SilkyPix. LR sits somewhere in between, it's usable but I largely prefer the output from SilkyPix.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    i dont find much if any difference between the two regarding 'cataloguing'. i do find C1 has better-to-my-eye RAW conversion and better quality corrections and is faster. C1 is terrible on 'plug-ins'. there are no 'publishing' options that are plentiful in LR. depends on whats important to you.

• Like Like x 1
  14. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    This fall OnOne Software will release their Photo Raw product package with their own raw converter. The convert looks like it works in near real time with no delays to build previews. If so, it will be another option.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    C1 is my preference, coming from Aperture. Never felt comfortable using Lr and DxO slow as molasses.

I place more importance on sharpness than colour and feel C1 renders clearest. Iridient Developer produces images just as crisp and benefits from continued development of its deconvultion sharpening functions, but the lack of keystone correction was an issue for me (and despite all said, C1 seems to render colours closet to my intentions).
    • Suits my needs for DAM
    • I've no requirement for plugins, thought there is support for film emulation recipes
    • From memory round-tripping works well by those demos I've seen (not so evening I use myself)
    Lastly, feel that the assessment written here of different raw converters holds quite true today having used later versions of the applications listed.

16. daffy

daffy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2015
    When I realized that I needed a raw converter, I installed all the most-frequently sold ones; Capture One, DxO, and Lightroom remained as the top of those.

Personally, I decided to go for Capture One 8 (and I still have not upgraded to Capture One 9) for these two simple reasons:
    • photos came out really, really well from default settings
    • editing photos was very intuitive (for my mental model) and fast
    • it had all the tools I was interested in - particularly perspective correction
    In short, at the time of decision making it was the most intuitive tool to use for me, one that allowed me accomplish more in a given time frame, with output that I liked. Even to date, this decision seems to hold.

Note that two open source raw developers seem to be rather far in feature support: Darktable and RawTherapee.

Cataloging at this time is not part of my (hobbyist) needs, so I am unable to comment on that aspect.

17. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    I use Mogrify plugin for sharpening. Many different algorithms to choose from and you can use different for different types of photos. When I found that I sticked with LR

Skickat från min LG-H815 via Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  18. obsolescence

obsolescence Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 24, 2016
    Los Angeles
    John Gaylord
    Arriving late, all I can say is I tried LR, Silkypix, CaptureOne, and OpticsPro ...and the winner is: DxO OpticsPro 10. Why? Because it gets closest to my desired result immediately and its noise reduction is supreme, the latter being particularly important with higher ISOs on MFT. It also works with the LR editing function. I use both Olympus and Panasonic cameras.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. mjgraaf

mjgraaf Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2014
    Netherlands
    Menno
    I combine both, take C1 for raw development, exporting to tiff. Then import tiff in LR for final color tweaking or using LR plugins (like Silver Efex Pro for BW conversion) and then catalogueing the result.

• Like Like x 1
  20. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
    Thx a lot all of you.

Finally i decide to combine both. I use the same workflow as you. I can use capabilities both of these 2 applications !!!

• Like Like x 1