1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Capture One 6 Pro

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by drcolby, Nov 26, 2012.

1. drcolby

drcolby Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2012
    Does anyone use this software and have comments on it?
    Thanks,
    Dave

2. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I downloaded the trial versions of 6 and 7 but neither supported the G5 so didn't go any further with it.
    Paul

3. Maczero

Maczero Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2010
    Fife
    I have used C1 5, 6 and now 7 along with A2 and A3 and LR2 (trialled 3 and 4, but didn't buy).

I love it - with one caveat that C1 7 is still a bit buggy. You might want to give the trial a go.

It took me a little while to get my head round the way it worked. It's always wrong to assume that Raw convertors sliders with the same names do the same thing and work the same way. However, once you 'get it' the images are fantastic. My wife invariably prefers C1 developed images to those developed using other programmes.

Phase One offer a 60 day trial and there instructional videos for 5, 6 and 7 on YouTube. Only you will know if it fits the way you work, but with the trial what is there to lose?

Andrew

4. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I havent used Capture One but Giulio Sciorio, a professional photographer who shoots with an OM-D, says it is the best raw converter out there.

One thing to consider though if you are say a Lightroom user is that you would be giving up a lot of other functionality if you moved away. Namely its extensive library management, publishing services and integration of programs such as photoshop and Nik software.

5. Maczero

Maczero Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2010
    Fife
    I just wanted to add that C1 7 adds in catalogues, which are similar to Aperture or Lightroom catalogues (they are still in a rather early stage of development so are a bit rough yet). I have also managed to export files to some of the Nik plugins and PTLens (if the built in lens correction tools are insufficient), but I rarely bother.

Andrew

6. trailguru

trailguru Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    Somerset, England
    I've used C1 6 for about a year and it's pretty good, if a bit buggy. My main criticism is it's heavy on the system and doesn't like handling folders/catalogues with large numbers of files. Phase One suggested I 'cut' my image library into <1000 file chunks to reduce the load on hardware resources.

My main reason for adopting it was its comprehensive IPTC support.