1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Capture Camera Clip System

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by pxpaulx, May 6, 2011.

1. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Capture Camera Clip System -NEW micro 4/3 plates available (discount!)

Like the pinwide project, this one is on kickstarter as well. It is a clip-in holster system designed to attach to a backpack strap or belt, and best of all it uses acra-swiss compatible plates. Here is a link!

Capture Camera Clip

I ordered one, it looks great, and an extra plate is worth half the asking price itself. Though M4/3 cameras are smaller than a DSLR, being able to quickly get it secured and out of your hand when necessary is still a great idea. I found out about it through pentax forums, so thought I would share it here as I didn't see it mentioned yet. Only 2 days on kickstarter and it is funded at 750%!

• Like Like x 7
  2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I am giving this a bump, because I think it is a great idea and some users here would find it useful (thinking shoulder mounted GH series for video, car/bike mount for video), or just plain useful for carrying your camera...which is what it is designed for!

I originally pledged for one, and decided to get 2 myself - they are supposed to ship by the end of July. Anyway, one bump for good measure!

3. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    I also pledged for one of these devices last month. They look very well designed, ideal for my adventure trip use. Perhaps overkill for the Pen camera, but helpful to manage the weight of a DSLR.

Still 26 days left in the Kickstarter funding window to get one at a good price.

4. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Rarrgh so tempted. Too many new camera toys coming out this summer..

5. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
  6. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    There are 2 reasons I prefer this solution.

The first is that the black widow (cotton carrier and a few others as well) are all systems - you buy into it, then you buy accessories to attach it different ways, for different things, and so on and so on.

This Capture system is a simple clamp that attaches to your bag or belt, its compact and pretty easily moved from one bag to another.

Second, I also really appreciate that the plates used for the clamp are designed compatible with any arca-swiss type of dovetail mount, so I can use it with the quick release clamps and ballhead that I have as well.

It may be a little bulky for some of the M4/3 cameras, but for the G and GH series Pannys it would be a pretty nice fit, especially with some of their larger lenses (45-200, 100-300).

• Like Like x 2
  7. peaceridge

peaceridge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2011
    I have a Markins qball q3 Traveler quick release ballhead. I just bought a E-Pl2. Do you think the cccs would work on that? There doesn't seem to be any L brackets available for the PL2, so this might be a good solution if it would work.

Lynn

8. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Markins is arca compatible - I myself have a Photoclam ballhead, and also use a couple of generic quick release plates from ebay along with a kirk and photoclam plate (on a panning base and a tilt head as well) - along with those, I use at least 3-4 plates from different companies already, so if they say the capture is arca compatible, I fully expect it to work with all the major arca type systems (photoclam, arcaswiss, kirk, markins, RRS, etc).

9. qr plate

Received an email reply from Peter. Requires use of Capture specific qr plate. One issue with many plates is the size. The overall size of Capture plate may interfere with the battery hatch of some mu43 cameras. Found on the GF-1 & G2 a 38 x38mm plate is about the largest plate you can use that does not prevent opening of the battery/sd cover & also does not interfere with a larger diameter lens (45-200mm pany). Have a feeling the tabs found on all four sides of the Capture qr plate may cause a clearance issue. Nice product. Was giving thought to a purchase.

10. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Yeah I asked him that too - I do wonder if a little bit of dremeling would get other plates to fit. Also, even if he hasn't tried, if it is simply a pop-up catch, many plates are designed to work with those already. The plate is likely around that 38x38 size - I'll be excited when I do get mine, and I'll make sure to give a report here as well!

11. raviliousness

raviliousness Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2011
    Reading, UK
    I'd just like to add that I've pledged/placed an order for the Capture system recently, having looked into the Spider and a few other options previously.

I was impressed with the solid locked position of the camera with the Capture, rather than having it swinging on a ball-joint. You can orient your cam in one of 4 positions of the square Arca-compatible plate - determined simply by which way you put your cam into the mount. Although I probably wouldn't face it up to change lenses as shown in Peter's video (marginally higher dust issue likelihood), I'm thinking that I'd probably be comfortable enough facing my GF-1 forward to do so.

I also liked the additional "redundant" thumb-screw which you can tighten if you're worried you might bump the release button accidentally whilst doing your thing.

Another note re the inconvenience of having to remove the plate when changing batteries - in my case my current Arca/Kirk compatible tripod plate gives me the same trouble but I guess in my case, I'm willing to take that compromise to have something handy like this for those times when I want to put my on my ruck-sack shoulder strap, or on a sturdy hip-belt...

I'll be buying a smaller Manfrotto ball-head to go with a monopod soon, but I'll get the version without the built-in QR. I'll get myself an Arca clamp to stick on it instead.

But at the end of the day YMMV...

Christian

• Like Like x 1
  12. peaceridge

peaceridge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2011
  13. starlabs

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Well I'm a convert. The solid locked position of the design is something I'm more comfortable with than having the camera free-swing.

I'm in!

14. starlabs

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    18 hours to go before the project gets funded.

Some updates:
    • The final retail price will be $80. Current Kickstarter funding price is $50
    • He will guarantee the units for life! Pretty neat...

There's quite a substantial backlog, so if you're just getting in now expect to wait 3+ weeks.

Pretty impressive - this was only a $10k funding Kickstarter and so far he's got $352,287. Wow!

15. eyeguy

eyeguy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    I'm tempted

16. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    It is a great deal - arca plates alone can run upto $50 (from the big companies, RRS, Markins, Kirk). At the asking price, you're getting a camera plate and the clip, shipped for $50 - there are already reviews out there and it looks like a great product. Probably wouldn't be ideal for the smaller Pens or GF series, but on the G or GH cameras, especially with larger lenses attached this is going to be great. I can't wait to get mine, signed up the 2nd day so hopefully I can give a review shortly!

Though not ideal for the smaller set of m4/3 cameras, if you're into video I could see someone using it shoulder mounted for video or even random stills. I'm really looking forward to getting both of mine! Gonna get my address in there the moment I get the email regarding shipping (should be tomorrow).

I can't believe the project was only looking for $10K to start up, amazing what a simple and smart solution can bring.

17. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    For anyone who owns a capture camera plate clamp and older plates, they have updated their plate lines to include manfrotto compatible plates, combination manfrotto/arca swiss plates and also a new compact plate version designed for compact cameras such as our own micro 4/3 cameras!

This is a link to the Peak Design Ltd website

With the new release of the update plate designs they are offering 50% off using coupon code "ksplate" making just the plates themselves an outstanding deal...I just ordered 2 of the micro 4/3 small plates for a total of $27.65 including shipping. Even if you don't use the capture system, that is a great price for small arca-compatible plates.

18. layla

layla New to Mu-43

Nov 25, 2012
    Hi pxpaulx:
    Came across your post and was wondering if you have any further advice for me. I was thinking whether it is worth getting the capture camera plate clamp for my best friend. She owns a PEN EP3, and I wonder what plate would you advise me to get her? I am not too good with camera stuff and wasn't too sure to get her the ACRA or the Micro plate? You think you can advise me? Thank you :smile:

19. badcatgary

badcatgary Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Denver, CO
    Jeremy