Can't update firmware on my em5iii

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro
I haven't read through this thread in detail, so don't know if it's been covered (and I'm just about to leave for work). I updated the firmware in a new EM1.2 yesterday. Using W10 Pro and a generic USB-C to USB-C cable. At first OWS said "Olympus Workspace cannot be used to update this camera". I then noticed that you have to select "storage" on the camera when it detects a USB connection, I'd previously selected the PC connection icon. After selecting storage the update worked fine.

Whilst I was at it, I thought I'd update my original EM1.2 from 3.1 to 3.3. I minimised the OWS window whilst it was updating and when I re-opened, OWS had become non responsive. I left it and the camera update still completed successfully, but those 3 minutes felt like an eternity.

Strangely, the new camera had shipped with an older firmware (V2) than my original EM1.2 (V3) but a newer battery.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Simon, sometimes the firmware upgrade will lead to incompatibility with old settings. This necessitates discarding previous settings if the old settings cannot be remapped to the new firmware.
Yes indeed. To be clear, I was responding to the issue that the E-M5 Mark III does not allow saving/restoring of custom settings in Workspace or the OI.Share app.

The previous version reset my settings... perhaps if you went from (I think the original) 1.0 to the latest 1.2, that may be why? (1.0 to 1.1 reset all my stuff, but 1.1 to 1.2 did not).

I did notice that I could not back up my settings via the app before doing the update.

Yes, I've updated from 1.0 version since I've just bought the camera. So that may be the reason.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I haven't tried this yet on the E-m5 mark III (I have used the method for other cameras), but there has been a backdoor method to update the camera firmware without using the update tool that has been documented at:
I've complained in the past that lightsnowdev did not add the E-m5 mark III to its list of saved firmware. I can't find the thread where somebody mentioned (either here or at dpreview) how to do a similar update for the E-m5 mark III by changing model numbers.

The E-m5 mark III firmware is at:
The directions from lightsnowdev modified for the E-m5 mark III would be:
  • Create a folder called "DCOLYMP" on your SD card.
  • Rename the downloaded file to E1379999.BIN and put it inside this folder.
  • The whole process will take a about 1-2 minutes.
  • Make sure your camera is turned off.
  • Now insert the SD Card with the firmware file.
  • Start the camera while pushing the "OK" button.
  • The screen will be black and the orange front LED will turn on.
  • DO NOT TURN THE CAMERA OFF WHILE THE LED IS ON.
  • Wait until it blinks rapidly. This means the process is finished.
  • You can now restart the camera like you would do normally.
  • You may want to remove the "DCOLYMP" folder from your SD card, so you don't flash a new firmware by accident.
One thing that isn't mentioned, but should be obvious, make sure your batteries are fully charged. I've noticed that Panasonic cameras will complain if the batteries aren't fully charged when you do the update, but Olympus doesn't seem to do that. I have seen a number of posts over the years where somebody was updating their cameras and the batteries went dead as they were updating their camera, and they had to send it into Olympus to reinstall the firmware.

Firmware 1.5 for the E-m5 mark III is out. It adds the new 8-25mm lens to the list of lenses that can be focus stacked. Lightsnowdev doesn't yet have the file, but I imagine they should get it in a day or two:

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Firmware 1.5 for the E-m5 mark III is out. It adds the new 8-25mm lens to the list of lenses that can be focus stacked. Lightsnowdev doesn't yet have the file, but I imagine they should get it in a day or two:
Thanks for the info. Did mine this AM.

It is also for the E-M1 Mark II but nothing for the E-M1X which seems odd. :confused-53:

Maybe they'll add "Starry Skies" or something else to the E-M1X.

kbouk

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for the info. Did mine this AM.

It is also for the E-M1 Mark II but nothing for the E-M1X which seems odd. :confused-53:

Maybe they'll add "Starry Skies" or something else to the E-M1X.
Nothing for EM1 mkIII too.:hmmm:

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Nothing for EM1 mkIII too.:hmmm:
I suspect that the 8-25mm may have been far enough along in development that support was included in the E-m1 mark III camera.

I've heard rumors that there will be a big firmware update for the E-m1x later in June, so I imagine the addition of the 8-25mm lens to the supported lenses for focus stacking will be folded into that. If the E-m1 mark III doesn't have the support (undocumented) now, perhaps they are getting a big update then also that is a subset of the changes the E-m1x will get.

The E-m5 mark III and E-m1 mark II are in the category of just getting incremental updates, and not feature improvements. It would be nice if the older cameras that support focus stacking (E-m1 mark I, E-m5 mark II) would get updated eventually.

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
Stupid question: how important is it to update the firmware of an old camera for a new lens, even if I don't use focus stacking? For example, will the IBIS still work the same? I am thinking of getting 8-25mm F4 for E-M1 II, and I've never bought a new lens before, so I was dffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxzwondering.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Stupid question: how important is it to update the firmware of an old camera for a new lens, even if I don't use focus stacking? For example, will the IBIS still work the same? I am thinking of getting 8-25mm F4 for E-M1 II, and I've never bought a new lens before, so I was dffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxzwondering.
Well in theory, if you don't buy the 8-25mm lens (or don't use focus stacking), you don't need to update the firmware.

However, the issue is whether JIP put in some undocumented fixes that improve things (or makes them worse).

And note, if you use the modified firmware (which I haven't done yet), I believe it eliminates the restrictions on focus stacking only certain lenses.

Just checking lightsnowdev, it looks like they don't have either the April 6th, 20121 releases (E-m1x, E-m1 mark III), nor the June 9th, 2021 releases (E-m1 mark II, E-m5 mark III). So if the people modifying the firmware are relying on getting it from lightsnowdev, it may be a problem getting update.

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
Oh, I'm sorry guys, I had another seizure tonight and I just got home from the hospital. If you were wondering why I typed all those letters in the previous post, that's probably why. I wasn't trolling or anything like that. Again, sorry about that. Thank you, Michael, for the explanation.

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks, John. Yeah, the hospital was kind of depressing, but seeing (and hearing) the other emergency patients there made me realize how lucky I've been and still am. So I didn't mean to distract from the thread and call attention to myself. I would have just edited the post but it was already up for 5 hours and someone already quoted it. I am feeling fine now, it's just embarrassing, that's all. The only serious concern is they say I will need increased medication, and that might reduce my budget for an 8-25mm F4. The thought of not having 8-25mm F4 is really the saddest thing, but I will update the firmware anyways just in case.

Real Name
Henrik
Thanks, John. Yeah, the hospital was kind of depressing, but seeing (and hearing) the other emergency patients there made me realize how lucky I've been and still am. So I didn't mean to distract from the thread and call attention to myself. I would have just edited the post but it was already up for 5 hours and someone already quoted it. I am feeling fine now, it's just embarrassing, that's all. The only serious concern is they say I will need increased medication, and that might reduce my budget for an 8-25mm F4. The thought of not having 8-25mm F4 is really the saddest thing, but I will update the firmware anyways just in case.
Glad to hear you're feeling better; hope it doesn't happen again.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Good you sought help (or at least somebody in your house did).

While I've also was in the hospital, it wasn't anything like yours (I had weight loss surgery). I know with my migraines, Atrial fibrillation, and other issues, getting the medicines worked out can be a tricky business. Good luck.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Don't ever feel embarrassed! Hospital emergency departments often stand between life and death.

I've got a stack of health problems. Without modern medicine, I probably would not have made my first birthday.

It would be cavalier to complain about them when I've got through to 73 y.o. ...
They can be a bloody nuisance though!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom