Can't update firmware on my em5iii

I'm trying to update the firmware on my em5iii but seem to be unable to connect the body to the computer. I have Oly Workspace installed, clicked on camera update, and it pops open the Digital Camera Updater v2.2. I then have my camera connected to the computer via the USB cable, no SD card installed, and click the power to ON. Once prompted to choose between Storage, MTP, PCM Recorder, or Exit - I select Storage and click Ok. From that point nothing more happens. The body displays "One Moment" and will continue to do so forever. Well, at least for a good 10-15 minutes. Even if I get impatient for the screen to clear and go ahead and try to detect the camera, the software says "Unable to detect the camera".

I've tried on two PCs and with two different USB cables. I've been able to update my em10ii and em1ii in the past using the same steps but can't figure out what I'm missing. Any tips?

Zman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I had the exact same difficulty upgrading firmware on my E-M1ii a few months ago. Tried multiple times, different cables, etc ... Finally read online someplace that a user with same problem on his W10 pc. So, out of desperation I brought out my old W7 machine and the upgrade worked on the first try and was done in minutes. Why it worked on W7 and not W10 I don't know, but that was my experience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I had the exact same difficulty upgrading firmware on my E-M1ii a few months ago. Tried multiple times, different cables, etc ... Finally read online someplace that a user with same problem on his W10 pc. So, out of desperation I brought out my old W7 machine and the upgrade worked on the first try and was done in minutes. Why it worked on W7 and not W10 I don't know, but that was my experience.
Thanks. I’ll try at home with my wife’s Mac Mini next.

junkyardsparkle

haunted scrap heap
Thanks for the tip. I'm not desperate at all, but out of habit I tend to update my electronics when able. Plus having the focus stacking ability between the em5iii and 12-45 could be helpful. Lately all my focus stacking experience has been with my tg-5 but having another option would be nice.

fStop16

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Erol
I'm trying to update the firmware on my em5iii but seem to be unable to connect the body to the computer. I have Oly Workspace installed, clicked on camera update, and it pops open the Digital Camera Updater v2.2. I then have my camera connected to the computer via the USB cable, no SD card installed, and click the power to ON. Once prompted to choose between Storage, MTP, PCM Recorder, or Exit - I select Storage and click Ok. From that point nothing more happens. The body displays "One Moment" and will continue to do so forever. Well, at least for a good 10-15 minutes. Even if I get impatient for the screen to clear and go ahead and try to detect the camera, the software says "Unable to detect the camera".

I've tried on two PCs and with two different USB cables. I've been able to update my em10ii and em1ii in the past using the same steps but can't figure out what I'm missing. Any tips?
I had the same problem you have. I updated all my software on my Mac including the olympus software. I had to try updating the firmware to three times before it finally worked. It is now showing firmware 1.1

junkyardsparkle

haunted scrap heap
Thanks. Still no luck here. Kind of frustrating.
FWIW, I've used the flash-from-storage method described above for every body firmware update I've ever done (three, IIRC), since I don't use the supported operating systems. It's always worked flawlessly. I'm assuming the process is still the same for the most recent cameras (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). Just make sure you have a trustworthy SD card and a charged battery for the operation...

You need to use the USB cable that came with the camera, unless it says otherwise.

Most Olympus cameras use a proprietary version of USB cables. 10 pins/wires, IIRC.

USB3 cables are standard ones, but I think the E-M5 MkIII uses USB2.
Hmm. Now while I thought I was using the one from the packaging, I do have a number of them floating around my office and I had tried it with a couple different cables. I wonder if even though I was using different cables to attempt I didn't actually start with the Olympus cable? Thanks for the tip - I'll verify that this weekend and see what happens.

@John King for the win! Took advantage of my wife sleeping in this morning to hop on her computer (Mac Mini) and try again. This time I am certain I used the USB cable that Olympus packaged with the camera and everything worked on the first try. Now the em5iii is updated and my 2 lens are good (no updates). Thanks again for the tip!

Last edited:

junkyardsparkle

haunted scrap heap
I also just had to update an E-M5 mk III and I just used an everyday microUSB cable to do the update. Worked just fine on my Mac mini. Maybe you just had some bad cables with a little bit of dust in them?
Yeah, I was a little confused as to why using a proprietary cable would make a difference if the other end of the cable is plugged into a standard USB port... that would seem to diminish the benefits of Olympus moving to a standard microUSB port just a little.... but it's not something I can poke at myself, so I'm trying to suppress my curiosity. :D

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
Yeah, I was a little confused as to why using a proprietary cable would make a difference if the other end of the cable is plugged into a standard USB port... that would seem to diminish the benefits of Olympus moving to a standard microUSB port just a little.... but it's not something I can poke at myself, so I'm trying to suppress my curiosity. :D

Well, the E-M5.3 that I have I bought used, and there was no USB cable in the box, so I’m glad it didn’t come down to needing a special cable!

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
Just confirming W10 and non-OEM (anker) micro USB worked here when I updated a while back. Just check, still works.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom