1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Can't remove "Decoration ring" from new Panasonic 25 mm f/1.7 lens

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Duke Sweden, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Duke Sweden

Duke Sweden Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2016
    Duke Sweden
    I just got this lens today. I can't get the "decoration ring" off, it feels like the lens will rip apart before this ring comes off. Is this normal? Should I just twist it until it comes off? Or is there a trick to it? I'm just turning it counter clockwise and clockwise, not pulling or pushing on it as I turn it.

2. speedy

speedy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2015
    Grab it with your fingers in the 12 & 6 o'clock positions on the lens ie in line with the red dot and opposite. Squeeze gently inwards -toward the center of the front element. Works for me

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  3. Duke Sweden

Aug 9, 2016
    Duke Sweden
    I was under the impression it was like a UV filter with glass and all, didn't realize it was just a ring. Anyway, when I removed the lens from the camera and got a good grip on it, I was able to remove it. Thanks for responding!

4. speedy

speedy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2015
    You really shouldn't need a death grip on the ring. Just a gentle pressure with your thumb and finger on the 2 points I mentioned, & it should pop right off. Works for both my 25 and 42.5 lenses. The tighter you grab onto it, the harder it is to rotate

5. Duke Sweden

Aug 9, 2016
    Duke Sweden
    Honestly, when the lens was on the camera it just didn't budge. I didn't want to break the lens, it had just come in the mail a few minutes earlier. But, like I said, when I took the lens off the camera and held it with my left hand I was able to pretty easily twist it off.

6. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    It's like the built in lens hood for the 300mm Pro; someone had extended it and twisted it to lock and couldn't get the hood loose again. I'll bet gently handling it would let the hood turn and be retracted (thought mine had jammed one of the first times I used the lens).
    Glad you sorted out your problem. Have lots of fun with the new lens!

7. Duke Sweden

Aug 9, 2016
    Duke Sweden