1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Can't Pull The Trigger: OM-D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by retro, Oct 25, 2012.

1. retro

retro New to Mu-43

Feb 26, 2011
    I am looking for advice. I currently have an XSI and 50 1.4 lens. In the past I have owned the E-PL1 and E-PL2. I really love Canon and Olympus. I might keep my Canon setup, but in all honesty I would like to move to a single system.

I used to shoot RAW, but these days I tend to shoot JPEG most of the time. Canon JPEGs from the XSI are actually very good. I am familiar with Olympus JPEGs which are also very good.

One thing I miss about my Olympus was the CDAF and IBIS. I never had front focus or back focus and every shot was in focus, something more difficult to get with my Canon setup. On the other hand, the Canon XSI has wonderful color and tonality and white balance, though the formula is 'different' from the Olympus process.

I would rather have a smaller camera with more accurate focusing, so the OM-D is on my short list. I guess I question whether I will be able to take pictures as good as the 'ole XSI and still have some shallow DO (Keep in mind I only ever used the fantastic 20 1.7 on my EPL1 and EPL2 setup).

I have also tossed around the idea of picking up the EPL2 again. It's cheap and I think it's the most attractive camera I have ever owned (in black).

I have uploaded a sample OOC JPEG taken with my XSI and 50 1.4 wide-open. Will I be able to achieve the same result if not better with the OMD ?

Thoughts ?

Attached Files:

2. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    In my opinion, YES. But see for yourself: have you seen the 45mm and 75mm threads?

(And that's only two lenses. Feel free to browse through all the lens sample image archives.)

3. pcnyc

pcnyc Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    45mm 1.8 will get you similar result as a 50 1.4. 90mm vs 80mm distance, costs about the same, DOF might not be as shallow, but whatever you focus on will be a lot sharper. If you are not getting OMD, I would recommend a e-pl3 or e-pm1 over e-pl2, the AF speed improvement is quite substantial.

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Honestly the DOF difference between APS-C and M43 isn't that big. It's only when you compare to FF/FX.

Here's a sample with the EPL2 & 25 1.4:

5. d2mini

d2mini Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    Fulshear, TX
    dennis
    I think there is only one reason not to choose the OMD and it may be a biggie for some.

BUTTON/DIAL PLACEMENT.
    Whomever designed this camera was an idiot and obviously not a photographer. Sorry, but it's true. It may look cool, but the handling is horrible. From the on/off button to the shutter speed dial to control pad... none of them are where they should be.

Power button: can't grab the camera out of my bag with one hand while simultaneously turning on the camera. It's a two-hand job.

Dial that controls the shutter speed: Too much of an awkward stretch to reach it while shooting with eye up to the viewfinder. Might get used to it eventually, but it should be much closer to the thumb rest.

The control pad: I like to change focus point while shooting. When looking through the viewfinder it is again an awkward stretch for the thumb to find/use it. Yes, you can compose with the rear lcd and tap the screen. This is a very impressive/fast feature, just not my preferred way to shoot.

Play button: in an awkward recess and as far away as it could be from the delete button. Makes on the fly image review/delete too slow.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the camera so far but these are valid complaints IMHO and take what could be an AWESOME camera and bring it down to a pretty good one.

6. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    true points about ergonomics :)
    for me the grip helped with the dial as it brought the release forward so your hand is not as cramped

I might say depending on what the OP is wanting the new Fuji XE1 looks really good also ?

7. Olyphotographer

Olyphotographer Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 18, 2012
    Kuala Lumpur
    why not the new E-PL5? Cheaper than the OM-D and has the same IBIS system if I'm not mistaken.

8. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Only the EM5 has 5 axis, the EPL5 is 2 axis as the previous Pens.

I have the same issue about turning my camera on when pulling it out the bag - same on EPL5 as EPL1. But I just make sure to put the camera in the bag with the power button side at the bottom - then I can lift the camera out easily without turning the power on.

9. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    All four control points that you complained above are operated by the thumb.

In my personal experience, the HLD-6 grip gives a significant boost to securing the grip (and comfort) that the right thumb can freely move to hit all four control points mentioned above with ease and comfort.

• Like Like x 1
  10. d2mini

d2mini Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    Fulshear, TX
    dennis
    Thanks, I might have to try the grip eventually.
    You are correct in that they are all controlled by the thumb. The thumb does a lot when operating a camera. Traditionally, anyway. It's too bad that the controls weren't designed correctly in the first place. Even if movement becomes easier with the grip, I would think that the distance is still an issue (reaching for the shutter speed wheel) but I won't know until I try. Not to mention the camera growing in size/weight. I have a d800 for that. :wink: