can't handle dpreview anymore

Ulfric M Douglas

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Honest question: can M43 AF with an f/8 lens? A.
I just turned my lens aperture ring to F8, low-light, focus is almost instant.
I didn't really see a difference to when this one is wide open ...

so the answer is yes, although lens by lens and body by body the speed will vary.

NCV

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Nigel
And some of them have 20 or 30 Thousand posts. o_O

I have noticed that too.

What amazes me is that sometimes when I look there whilst having my wake up coffee (In Italy) , there are people replying from the States where I presume it is the middle of the night.

Mention “Equivalence” at any time of day or night and it seems the chief bully will reply in a matter of minutes.

Another thing that amazes me is that some of the more ardent posters have a vast library of past posts that they provide links to when trying to put you down.

In effect DPR is a weird place.

But I must say I enjoy the weekly photo thread. That is an aspect of the DPR M43 forum there that is irreplaceable for me. There are some great personalities there and the feedback can be quite interesting.

Nam-in-Sonoma

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Nam
Honest question: can M43 AF with an f/8 lens? Also, the new high-end Nikon bodies can AF with f/8 lenses (how effective is another story).

I though on an Olympus since 4/3rd that when the camera do the autofocus, it opens the lens to the widest possible, focus and close back to whatever aperture you set.

gr6825

Mu-43 Veteran
I though on an Olympus since 4/3rd that when the camera do the autofocus, it opens the lens to the widest possible, focus and close back to whatever aperture you set.

I assumed that is how M4/3 works. Nikon does metering and AF wide open. Actually Nikon is not very supportive of stop down metering. I don't think I can imagine how stop down AF would work because I figured most AF lenses do their work wide open. I think the f/8 AF on Nikon is really only applicable when TCs are used, but maybe there is some f/8 autofocus lens...

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
I believe that any interchangeable lens camera has done this since the 60s, really, even before the days of autofocus. You frame and focus with the lens wide open so that you have the brightest picture possible, and then the camera stops down to meter and make the exposure. That's why there's the DoF preview button. Even my Pentax Spotmatic II and its Takumar lenses have "auto-aperture" functionality in that way.

But, for instance, when I'm using my old manual focus lenses, I have never ever considered the stop-down metering aperture dance. I just set it to the aperture I want, frame, focus, and shoot, and the ISO gain in the EVF makes it a completely seamless experience. Obviously not the case trying to squint through an OVF at f/5.6 or f/8 once you're not in broad daylight...

Nam-in-Sonoma

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Nam
What amazes me is that sometimes when I look there whilst having my wake up coffee (In Italy) , there are people replying from the States where I presume it is the middle of the night.

To be fair Italy 7 am-ish is about 10pm-is on the West Coast...so not completely in the middle of the night ... at least for some of us on the West Coast.

You are so right about the link...they are pro in that :)

carlosfm

Mu-43 Veteran
I just turned my lens aperture ring to F8, low-light, focus is almost instant.
I didn't really see a difference to when this one is wide open ...

so the answer is yes, although lens by lens and body by body the speed will vary.

Pardon me, what kind of lens are you talking about?
You can turn the aperture ring to whichever aperture you want, it will only be stopped down when you fully press the shutter button and shoot.

davidzvi

Real Name
David
....You know that the equivalence discussion has a long history. It was debated during the transition from medium format to a smaller format known as 35mm when most consumers those days where using Twin Lens Reflex cameras. I remembered how all those defunct medium format makers were making the same fear mongering threats that going 35mm, you will loose great image quality, more grain and this and that. Looking back; the argument between full frame vs APS and m43 and iPhone cameras are very similar. Deja vu? Yes.. It's the same so I don't waste my time. My time is better spent taking photographs.

That's why I took up photography in the first place. I hope it's yours too.

Love the video from Zack Arias - crop vs crap with a comparison of 4by5, 35mm, etc

Honest question: can M43 AF with an f/8 lens? Also, the new high-end Nikon bodies can AF with f/8 lenses (how effective is another story).

Actually I find the -2 to -3 EV AF abilities move important than f/5.6 - f/8. It's a big help on the dance floor at a reception.

I'm late into the discussion here but you have to separate the two entity of DPReview...the review side and the Forum.

The review is informative. The forum on the other side, you can take for what it worth. When I started with my Olympus E-300, I though I would get help when there was something I didn't understand and though that I would get better answer from someone by asking the question...to my surprise the first answer was "RTFM," of course that was the exception...later many people explained to me nicely...those same people became my virtual friends even now that none of us barely going back there. We keeps in touch when most of us move to Facebook.

Now when I go back, I just click on thread that have pictures on it, don't even bother to read about any argument about this or that.

Don't you find it's funny to see some of the active members don't even post any pictures in a photography forum? Very sad.

I also use DPReview about the same way. Reviews vs Forums. But I look through threads when they turn up under a google search.

magicaxeman

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Ian

Not enough picture taking, too much abstracted measurebation. And I'm much too easily suckered into it...

This is a large part of the problem, far to many armchair warriors with all the gear and no idea and its not limited to DPr sadly.

At the end of the day though we love to talk gear its about the photographer and they're capabilities, not the format or form factor, a good photographer will be able to get a decent image regardless of the limitations the camera & lens or even their own physical disabilities places upon them.

I myself am severely physically disabled, I'm stuck in bed 24 hours a day, can't even sit and due to that I'm very limited when it comes to subject matter, I also find myself having to downsize my gear fairly often due to worsening physical abilities hence switching formats as I have just done yet again but it doesn't mean I can't produce a half decent image, so even though the FF fanboys might criticise my gear, my technique or even my subject matter I don't give a toss cos at the end of the day its about what I can do with the gear and limitations I have and the only person I have to please is myself.

Ulfric M Douglas

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Pardon me, what kind of lens are you talking about?
You can turn the aperture ring to whichever aperture you want, it will only be stopped down when you fully press the shutter button and shoot.
Yeah, silly me. I should use an old manual lens and report back ... but this thread doesn't seem the right place somehow.

I mulled it over : there's an F8 bodycap lens from Olympus which I assume autofocuses ... so there's the answer.

Last edited:

gpburdell

Mu-43 Veteran
Yeah, silly me. I should use an old manual lens and report back ... but this thread doesn't seem the right place somehow.

Even old manual lenses, such as my F.Zuiko 50mm f/1.8 on my OM1n leave aperture wide open until the aperture iris is activated by the camera when releasing the shutter.

I mulled it over : there's an F8 bodycap lens from Olympus which I assume autofocuses ... so there's the answer.
Nope. That f/8 bodycap lens is manual focus, the camera stays in MF mode and you can't switch to AF. Just tried it. :)

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
You guys take DPReview too seriously! I find it entertaining seeing people blow their tops over the most mundane things!

I shoot 3 different systems and every camera I own is set on aperture priority. When I menu dive it's to format my memory card and I shoot raw for the most part so all my photos look the same at the end of the day! The only time I debate which camera to bring is based on how lazy I feel or if I need to bring something to get the money shot.

The majority of digital photography is just sweating the small details. :D

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro
You guys take DPReview too seriously! I find it entertaining seeing people blow their tops over the most mundane things!

I grew up a steel workers son, and lived in several middle/working class towns. Rule #1 was always be nice/courteous, or be prepared to deal with the consequences. I think a large part of the issue on DPR, is that several members feel safe being snarky, passive aggressive, or plain rude thanks to the anonymity the intent provides them, and the fact the moderation staff lets it slide. Sadly, its not just a DPR problem, I see it all over the net.

Last edited:

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
I grew up a steel workers son, and lived in several middle/working class towns. Rule #1 was always be nice/courteous, or be prepared to deal with the consequences. I think a large part of the issue on DPR, is that several members feel safe being snarky, passive aggressive, or plain rude thanks to the anonymity the intent provides them, and the fact the moderation staff lets it slide. Sadly, its not just a DPR problem, I see it all over the net.

There's an ignore option on DPReview, so a user can easily filter unwanted conversations not conclusive to the topic. On top of that, DPReview has been a sort of battleground of camera discussion for over a decade. I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Honestly I don't think it's a big deal, I've made lots of good friends from camera forums and on a positive note, the internet can and has created worldwide friendships that wouldn't have been possible before its inception! ;)

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro
There's an ignore option on DPReview, so a user can easily filter unwanted conversations not conclusive to the topic. On top of that, DPReview has been a sort of battleground of camera discussion for over a decade. I don't see it changing anytime soon.

To me, that's not an acceptable solution. Sure, I won't be seeing/dealing with the negative behavior, that doesn't stop it from happening to someone else.

I have no problem with debates even very heated ones, as long as they conducted with respect.

NCV

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Nigel
I know exactly who you are talking about, and one of the mods told me he can get away with it, because "he has the support of some highly placed Admins at DPR."

Thanks for the heads up. Now certain things that happen and happend to me are cristal clear.

I have just got a seven day ban for writing "the only infallible person in this world lives in Rome", hardly an insult in reply to an incredibly arrogant reply to someone. I took care not to be rude or nasty in this reply as there is a lot of post removal going on at DPR at the moment.

They have just brought in a new moderator who It seems has been instructed to use a heavy hand after a lot of members asked for removal of equivalence threads.

I have noticed quite a few “regular” names have disappeared of late.

I think I will try to stick to the weekly photo thread there, where there are some great people who I enjoy exchanching views and phot's with.

This forum seems from a first impression to be saner with a greater interest in photo’s , so I think I will hang out more here from now on.

Listener

Mu-43 Regular
I look forward to posts on the DPR m43 forum from 6-10 people. They write about taking pictures and they illustrate with actual pictures. Those people are golden to me. If I could see their pictures and read their comments on a more positive forum, I would not visit DPR.

I get mighty tired of the endless gearhead whining about slow progress and how stupid the manufacturers are. I often look at the list of recent posts by such people and find nothing about actual photography. Certainly, no photos.

The Eq. crowd are just dreadful people. I don't want to know them; I don't want to be in the same room with them. I feel that just reading their mean-spirited posts darkened my life. My disgust extends to the DPR management and some of the moderators who condone bad behavior and bullying.

davidzvi

Real Name
David
...I have just got a seven day ban for writing "the only infallible person in this world lives in Rome", hardly an insult in reply to an incredibly arrogant reply to someone. I took care not to be rude or nasty in this reply as there is a lot of post removal going on at DPR at the moment.....

Banned for religious content?

Latest threads

Top Bottom