1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

can't handle dpreview anymore

Discussion in 'Back Room' started by tkbslc, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    'Furthermore, I consider that Carthage must be destroyed' is a famous Latin oratorical phrase which was in popular use in the Roman Republic.
    I suggest we all put 'Furthermore, I consider all talk of equivalence irrelevant' in our signature, everywhere we post outside here :) 

• Like Like x 1
  2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    All sensors are equivalent, but some sensors are more equivalent than others.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    m43 sensors seem to be the most equivalented of all time....

4. Egregius V

Egregius V Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 14, 2015
    Massachusetts, USA
    Rev. Gregory Vozzo
    I'd like to chime in with my own perspective on this. Though a very long-time netizen, I'm a relative newcomer to both dpreview and this site. Joined them at the same time and have learned a lot from both. I'm also trying to give back what I can. I see what you're ranting about and even have reason to think I understand why it happens. I understand negativity. For one thing, misery loves company. But what kind of company do you want when you rant about something? I don't think it's helpful that you started this thread with a lot of hyperbole born from negativity: EVERY discussion... NOBODY even looks at pictures... EVERYONE jumps... What do such words attract? Are they true? Or are you letting the bad drag you down?

Given what you're ranting about, I don't think you really want to feed any negativity. ;)  If you can't be who you want to be on dpreview, I understand. I've left communities for the very same reason and am sure I will need to continue to do so throughout my life. That's right and good. As Dirty Harry said in a movie, "man's got to know his limitations." dpreview is a different forum than we have here, and I'm glad it's different. But let's all take a moment to recognize that it's not all bad. Also, virtue can be just as infectious as vice. There are good people "over there" sharing good ideas, insights, questions, and even manners. I for one am very grateful for it. And I've seen people who fall into rude behavior apologize. All worth the price of admission, if you ask me - but one does need to be able to stand the noise and put up with occasional abuse. I won't say "such is life" - it doesn't have to be that way. Best wishes!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

Man I was hoping this thread would die! Someone gave it a shock with the defibrillator and brought it back to life!

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    I like cruising DPreviews comment section! I get a kick out of making a single comment that incites a bunch of responses. I shoot FF/APSC/M43 and DSLRs/mirrorless so I enjoy using them all. It cracks me up when people get so riled up over their brand of choice!

7. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Apologies to tkbslc for extending this thread (and I hope this make sense) but generally, I find the lack of trolling on this forum, especially lately, makes most people stay, in fact it seems that users of other systems like to hang around here too. In terms of other forums, I've recently joined Pentaxforums in preparation for a Pentax camera I expect to receive soon and I find that very helpful too, witnessing the members chase off a troll recently was very encouraging.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    I couldn't resist posting this ... apologies if you have seen it already ... I didn't know what an internet troll or trolling was and found this when I Googled it

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQIRZScNcm7GfENHKn8GGxaloZatwwDhfqdTuzwZLOnx2EJn3xFVQ.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    If you can't read this (I couldn't, old eyes!) here's a link to a larger version:
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-O4KhXXbvn_s/UyhOeceAV7I/AAAAAAAADFM/DMfX6yBukWk/s1600/82623100.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  10. TonyG

TonyG Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I just left dprevuewdprev

11. TonyG

TonyG Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I just left dpreview over a dispute with a moderator. It's a shame because there many really helpful people over there and a wealth of information and tips. The forum is getting bogged down with repetitive unwelcome posts in equivalence. I figured it's best to leave it was a bad fit for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

I will admit that after starting this rant thread I did venture back and do comment on announcements and try to stay in the m4/3 and Panasonic forums. But yeah, m4/3 forum has gotten a bit nasty lately.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I have only recently started to take an occasional look at dpr and only skim over the threads in the Micro Four a Thirds section and the Olympus DSLR section (where there are occassional threads on EM1 for example)
    I pick out what I think are informative entries about the camera/S I am using
    I find the format much less attractive than here which is much lighter on the eyes and brain - the Mu 43 pages are much brighter and more spacious which helps a lot I think to make it feel more positive and light - the dark colour combinations and thread styles do nothing to lift the mood on dpr.
    Like those above the quoting and quoting of quoting rainbow coloured re posting is such hard work. You end up guessing what some of the replies are about as it is too much like hard work to re read the entries to figure it all out
    I pick and choose what I read and do learn something here and there and try to post something helpful occasionally myself
    Again as has been mentioned there seems to be a rudiculous amount of equivalence threads there and even spoof threads and threads about other threads etc etc
    I will probably remain as an occassional visitor just because of the little snippets I can learn now and again
    Mu43 is as always a fine example of how it should be done
    As with everything it's not perfect and never will be but the imperfect edges keep it interesting, challenging and varied which for me is what it needs to be
    Regards
    Rob

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    There's a mod on DPR who stalks me and berates me for my gentle slightly scathing sarcasm.
    Just saying.
    The twerp probably has an account here ...

I like DPR for the pretty pictures of cameras and the camera review database. Very useful stuff, no thanks to the illiterate new bunch since it was bought out.

15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Say it's not so! We love your gently slightly scathing sarcasm! Your problem on DPR is the "gentle slightly" part.

• Like Like x 2
  16. RMills

RMills Mu-43 Regular

Nov 7, 2014
    I've become much less involved with DPR for the same reasons. It's a broken record in the 4/3rds forum.

17. davidzvi

davidzvi Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I go there for reviews, to compare specs, and occasionally to search for information (Google often has results pointing to DPR threads. But I haven't really been an active member since 2005 when I joined the NikonCafe.

18. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here Subscribing Member

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I don't visit DPReview because I'm too busy taking pictures. Also the whole layout and tiny font just gives me a headache (on top of the headache I already got from reading stupid comments).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. DanS

DanS Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    I know someone said they wished this thread would die, but I'm glad it didn't because this thread is how I found the forum.

Just today, I requested my DPD account be closed, because as others have suggested, what's commonly being referred to as the "equivalence brigade", is completely out of hand. Equivalence is wielded like a club to beat people down, if you don't toe the FF is the best format in every regard line. I don't think the site owners openly condone it, but various members of the moderation, and administration staff definitely appear to turn a blind eye, when certain members go trolling, or harass non FF users.

20. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

This site is generally quite a bit more friendly. Welcome!

I will admit I still participate in DPR, but I try to avoid the equivalence junk unless I am trying to be ironic....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.