can't handle dpreview anymore

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
The only forum I look at on DPR is the m43 forum. It is more or less poisoned by full-frame equivalence 'experts'. Not one post, along the innocent line "I really love how small and compact and good IQ is this lens/camera compared to [here it comes....] the DSLR equivalent", can go unmolested by the equivalence brigade. And in such argumentative, lecturing, posturing-as-authoritative, and condescending tones.

hazwing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Though I dislike the argumentative threads on dpr, there is occasionally some good info does come out of the forums there. e.g. the rear UV filter gel hack for the pan 7-14 on olympus bodies. The em5 II flash being able to be used on the GM5/LX100

bikerhiker

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Freedom of speech with a lack of full accountability because you can hide behind an I.P address are usually the cause of degrading discussions. They are not held accountable for their actions so they push to the extremes.

Photography is supposed to be fun and joyful. Being rude, angry and combative and revengeful is no longer fun and joyful. If you think this is a part of your photography interest, then look at yourself in a mirror and find out why you had drifted away from the joy and happiness. I have found myself that when I focus on the photographic gear, I am not longer as creative. And as such, I become frustrated and that hidden unexpressed anger and rudeness are either released at work, at my clients or on the forum. When I defocus my focus away from gear and the technicalities and into creating photographs like a little child who were given crayons to create the vision, then I'm somehow happy.

I'm on DPReview as well and I express my opinions and also been flamed. What I do then was just "Let Go". Let them flame and express their anger and attack. Let them reflect upon themselves that perhaps they need to re-evaluate themselves. If this hobby makes you even more angry and combative, then maybe it's time to move on to another hobby. I know friends who did just that; quit and move on and are much happier! Perhaps it maybe time for you to move on and let go.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I only visit three phhotofraphy forums regularly any more Here, Nikon Café - very small group, and Fredmiranda where the users have a pretty high degree of experience (mostly Canon but a fairly large Nikon community, and a small m43 community. DPR only gets vists when I am looking for reviews (their video sections are pretty worthless though). For video its creative cow and DVXusers - both fairly technical forums for video stuff. I spend most of my time on Behance (which I consider an artsite) just looking at the really creative stuff there for inspiration.

Wolfeye

Mu-43 Regular
Left them about 2011 - they "upgraded" their forum and I upgraded to 30" monitor - keep reading them on 1/5th of screen was too much loyalty for me.
I had LX3 and Panasonic forum was quite civil, may be mainly because it was compact camera crowd.
I think that's about when I ditched them too - maybe a bit earlier. For me the "last straw" was a women's lingerie add that popped up on top of the screen once they were bought out by Amazon. Nothing really wrong with that, but I didn't consider it SFW.

Another good group exists over at Pentaxforums.com. I enjoy Nikonites.com too (although there are about 20 or so rabid posters there who frame and dictate much of the discussion, as well as clique-voting for favored image honors) and http://photography-on-the.net/ which has recently upgraded software. Photo.net used to be great as well but many long time, valuable members have departed, and many of those left are toxic personalities.

DoofClenas

Who needs a Mirror!
This place and Uglyhedgehog are my forums of choice. There's a lot of crap over there to weed through, but once you limit the forums shown on new posts, it's quite manageable and enjoyable. I just make sure to steer clear of the "non-photography discussions"...in fact, I have that section turned off.

Djarum

Super Moderator
I've never, and I mean ever, understand the war of equivalency in that forum. I rarely see it in the APSC or compact camera forums, so I'm not sure why its relevant there. For a while, the Panasonic vs Olympus thing was a little crazy too.

For me, I own 3 Olympus bodies, two olympus lenses, and 3 Panasonic lenses.

tkbslc

Super Moderator
I've never, and I mean ever, understand the war of equivalency in that forum. I rarely see it in the APSC or compact camera forums, so I'm not sure why its relevant there.
I think m4/3 users egg it on at times, too, by constantly pointing out how much smaller their lenses are than the FF "equivalents". Even though we know that 100mm f2.8 on 4/3 doesn't make the same images as a 200mm f2.8 on FF. When you post a side by side of the new 300mm f4 next to the Canon 600 F4 L IS like they are comparable, you know you are just begging for someone to point out the reasons why it isn't really the same.

But everytime a lens is launched, people who have never even considered m4/3 have to rush in and tell you that 42.5mm f1.2 is worse than a $400 85mm f1.8 for FF. Like that even means anything to those of us that don't shoot FF! And you are right, nobody pointed out that the new Canon 50mm f1.8 STM is only 80mm f2.9 equivalent on a Rebel.

I think m4/3 users egg it on at times, too, by constantly pointing out how much smaller their lenses are than the FF "equivalents". Even though we know that 100mm f2.8 on 4/3 doesn't make the same images as a 200mm f2.8 on FF. When you post a side by side of the new 300mm f4 next to the Canon 600 F4 L IS like they are comparable, you know you are just begging for someone to point out the reasons why it isn't really the same.
Uhh... don't most people buy a lens because of the particular FoV that it delivers, not for the DoF it delivers? If somebody likes a 70-200 on FF, they would pick up a 35-100 to cover the same FoV. I think everybody who buys in the m43 knows about the difference with regards to DoF, so if that's one of your key criteria, then maybe the system isn't best suited for the type of work that you do (not saying that it isn't possible, but there are better options out there).

I think that many people who shoot m43 value FoV and shutter speed over DoF (which is why you can compare a 200mm f/2.8 FF lens to a 100mm f/2.8 m43 lens, if you're trying to match the FoV and exposure parameters).

tkbslc

Super Moderator
Uhh... don't most people buy a lens because of the particular FoV that it delivers, not for the DoF it delivers? If somebody likes a 70-200 on FF, they would pick up a 35-100 to cover the same FoV. I think everybody who buys in the m43 knows about the difference with regards to DoF, so if that's one of your key criteria, then maybe the system isn't best suited for the type of work that you do (not saying that it isn't possible, but there are better options out there).

I think that many people who shoot m43 value FoV and shutter speed over DoF (which is why you can compare a 200mm f/2.8 FF lens to a 100mm f/2.8 m43 lens, if you're trying to match the FoV and exposure parameters).
Ignoring noise, high ISO ceiling and the ability to crop, sure. But now we are moving into the type of discussion I started this thread to complain about.

Ignoring noise, high ISO ceiling and the ability to crop, sure. But now we are moving into the type of discussion I started this thread to complain about.
LOL, you make a thread to complain about people who get involved "equivalence", and then go and proceed to start one anyways. I don't get it, and won't continue it any further because quite frankly it's not worth it. I enjoy the m43 lenses I have and the photos I can take with them, and that's really all that matters.

tkbslc

Super Moderator
LOL, you make a thread to complain about people who get involved "equivalence", and then go and proceed to start one anyways. I don't get it, and won't continue it any further because quite frankly it's not worth it. I enjoy the m43 lenses I have and the photos I can take with them, and that's really all that matters.
I thought I was arguing against the type of equivalence argument YOU made, not making one myself.

But either way, I think it is best to stop, yes. I already admitted I was half the problem which makes that other forum a minefield for me.