can't handle dpreview anymore

Discussion in 'Back Room' started by tkbslc, Jun 2, 2015.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've been a long time dpreview forum member. I've had lots of useful discussions over there over the past decade. I would even say I've learned a lot from the site. But it is just becoming insufferable over the past few years. Every discussion seems to end up revolving around some arbitrary DxO score or equivalent apertures. Nobody even looks at pictures. Everyone jumps right to the most hostile response possible.

Glad I have an alternative forum like this one, because that site is a cesspool of negativity. It brings out the worst in me, too. My responses are much more hostile when I am there vs here and I get sucked into the worthless debates about crap that doesn't matter in a real photo.

I like their reviews and product news, I just need to stay out of the forums and avoid the comment threads.

(End Rant)
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    I gave up on dpreview :026: a couple of years ago; although I did read the E-M5 ii review. :confused:
  3. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Ditto. For a while I went back just for the challenges, to get ideas, inspiration and to enter competitions, but even that has gone downhill.

On the other end of the spectrum is the Facebook OMD user group, which was cool at first, but now it's mostly the most idiotic questions by new users who never opened the manual clogging up the feed. I thought it was an official group when I joined, but it is not turns out.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    I still read the reviews once in awhile when a camera of interest is reviewed, but like many forums, it seems the general attitude of many people there are like that of children hiding behind the veil of anonymity that the internet provides.

The forum here is one of the very few that seems to be generally made up of well mannered folks who are passionate about what they do. Even though I also shoot other brands/formats of cameras along with my E-M5 II, I prefer to participate here.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 9
  5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    I find it enjoyable, it is an alternative point of view : that a photo gear forum can be a place to primarily disagree.
    Although : my ignore list on there is HUGE, just to keep things sane.
  6. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    The real horror of it is those times when you click on someone's name and see that there are thousands and thousands of posts just like the one they made (shorter: BLABLABLA HERE ARE MY IMPORTANT OPINIONS) about the same couple of topics over a period of years. It's like some weird funhouse mirror version of audiophiles where in this one, there's a load of actual meaningful metrics ... applied to absolutely nothing in terms of the art itself.

I kinda wish there was a site like dpreview but done as a series of multiple choice mysteries and a/b style tests like say-

purely for the extent to which it would likely make a lot of people's heads explode. Which camera got a gold award this week? Ha ha ha, guess.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    This is my thought process too. Sometimes it's fun to call out the jerks... And I try to subtly steer newbs toward this site ;)
  8. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    Their photo hosting system sucks, and all the photos look bad. This is one of the reasons that no one looks at the photos.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    There was a particularly great one I saw a week or two ago where someone posted frame grabs from a thing on youtube of people using m43 for wildlife photography and it got to something like a half dozen posts about how those pictures suck, and m43 sucks, and blablabla... before anyone noticed that they weren't even actually thumbs of the photos in question, just grabs from the video.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    Ha! Conversely, every single important FB GH4 group is 99.99% about video, which I never, ever shoot. Stills only, and it seems like I'm one of maybe 3 or 4 people who do that.

Incredible technical discussion and advice, none of it is useful to what I do.
  11. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

They host through Amazon cloud

I like discussions as long as they are with reasonable people who have even a minor amount of open-mindedness and respect. That population is shrinking on that forum.
  12. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Don't you know that's the only way to actually determine how well a camera performs, DXO numbers and Equivalence "calculations"?
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    the comments on the 43rumors page is pretty bad as well.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Left them about 2011 - they "upgraded" their forum and I upgraded to 30" monitor - keep reading them on 1/5th of screen was too much loyalty for me.
    I had LX3 and Panasonic forum was quite civil, may be mainly because it was compact camera crowd.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I only read their products reviews, their forum is like war zone, M43 seems like trash over there.
  16. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Ciaran Reilly
    It seems any site where participation is a secondary rather than primary purpose (Dpreview, 43rumors,, my local paper-of-record, descends into chaos fairly quickly - sites where people tend to come for discussion first - this one and a few similar - tend to be more civil in my opinion. I've had to resolve fairly hard to *NEVER* read comments on for example, as several brain cells die each time I do.
    • Like Like x 3
  17. I like the reviews and other tech articles...they're usually well written. But the forums...OMG! What a waste of bandwidth and server space! I've seen more civil behavior on CL.
  18. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    The poor behavior is bad enough, but the number of people rolling around like experts who are somewhat clueless is staggering. It is the place, along with POTN, that got me started on the "path of understanding" many years ago. Luckily things were different then. I may have gone to video instead. :)
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    I think its part of the curve ... the more experienced you get the less you find benefit in places where people are below your level of experience. That and our other point is true too: fewer and fewer people on forums are polite or engage in genuine discussion. Less still are prepared to see that they may be wrong or understand the speakers terms.

I've even found their (DPReview) reviews more marketing BS (sometimes false) and skip straight to the tests and comparisons. However I find them of limited utility now because they (deliberately) broke the connection with older cameras, so you can't actually see if there really is anything more than more megapixels on newer cameras.

Here is a much more civilized place that's for sure, but frequently I find myself wondering "why" here too ... there is the occasional point which I pick up and more than not I find it tedious that the same old arguments run around on infinite A -> B repeat loop.
  20. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    Is that due to reading it or the amount of Irish whiskey consumed doing so? ;) :laugh1:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015