1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Can't go back to FF

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Photorebel, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Photorebel

Photorebel Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2013
    Jeff Mims
    Canon 6d body and 24-105L kit..on sale for $ 2084.00 (new/USA)…but I just can't go back and I had a 6D and 24-105L before. Excellent quality, no complaints about the lens or the body. But shooting with EM1…is so pleasurable, and it fits my hand like a glove. Comparing my Canon 6D files..(in LR)..with the EM1…files…it's surprisingly close. ..especially at lower ISOs. Yes..when it gets up past 5000 ISO…differences become much more noticeable. And of course, one is able to crop more of an image taken on a fuller frame sensor.
    But pixel peeping is not my main goal, photography..creating images..at least, the best I can do, is my goal. And the enjoyment of the process. I have enjoyed shooting with EM1..more than any camera I've used in years.

So maybe I'm crazy, but I'm happy to stay with micro 4/3rds only…at least for awhile.

2. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Same. I used to have a 5D Mark II and a ton of L lenses, etc. I travel a lot...for me M4/3 is the best balance of size/weight and quality. When I move back to Canada in a year and a half...yeah, I might pick up a FF DSLR (D800E) for non-travel photo...but for now I <3 my OM-D.

3. Photorebel

Photorebel Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2013
    Jeff Mims
    Lest anyone read into my comments…I'm not saying that M 4/3rds is a better system than FF..for everyone. Only for me.
    I am not a pro. I have done several paid weddings, and portrait work, as well as covered local sports for local newspaper. But I don't make my living as a photographer. So..for me the EM1 system…is better. And I'm shooting a lot more with it.

I loved the Canon 6D…great camera, had a 5DII, III before that. I had 50, 85, 135L lenses..and 24-105 L. The quality was unmistakable. But it's like having a fine sports car…sitting in your garage, and not driving it. Whereas..the combination of everything..good IQ, portability..excellent glass..and the EM1..is just more pleasurable experience, and takes me back to the time, when I first got into photography and just had fun.

• Like Like x 4
  4. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Yes, I am right this minute boarding the big trip -- all aboard for µ4/3 only.

I don't really have any hesitation because I know for sure that I simply wasn't taking the multi-zoom DSLR kit out much, not any more. It wasn't boredom, it was size and weight. Both in the bag, and in the hand.

I have a firm grasp of what sufficient excellence means, and I aim to optimize towards it, whereas some enthusiasts think it is an oxymoron and we cannot have excellence if something better can be found. The optimal point will vary between us, but OTOH some of us may be a wee bit self-deluding on how fantastic our off-sensor data has to be. :biggrin: Strictly IMHO of course.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Photorebel

Photorebel Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2013
    Jeff Mims
    I remember years ago..the argument was…the pros used medium format..because image quality is so much better than 35mm with film. Well, no argument. But not everyone found it so easy to shoot with medium format. Even if cost were not a factor, the bulk, the heavier more expensive lenses.
    Frankly, I think..the OM E1 and E5 are both better built, stronger, more weather proofed bodies than the 6D. I like the lenses, I can carry a 2 body, 3 l lenses in one back, and not strain my back. I just love shooting with the OM cameras, and frankly..I'm impressed with the IQ..so far. Of course, I don't plan on billboard size prints either.

6. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    I'm quickly working myself up to a clearance sale of Nikon FF gear - the only real hesitancy right now is waiting on the 40-150 2.8
    although from what I've seen so far from my short experience with the 12-40 , and 70 1.8 , I probably should get the Nikon stuff on the market now.

7. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I enjoy using both M43 and FF. I find the DSLR fits my hand and eye better and it's pretty small and light compared to what I used to shoot with (1D series). When I travel, I usually take both my 5D MKII and E-P3. Makes for a dynamic duo.

8. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I do the majority of my work on m4/3 and play on 35mm. It depends on which full frame. I don't mind "lugging" around my M9. :)

Gordon

9. Photorebel

Photorebel Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2013
    Jeff Mims
    If the M9 gets too heavy for you to lug around, you can send it to me. I'll take it off your hands. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1