Can't get GH4 video out to Hollyland Mars 300

KBeezie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Karl Blessing
I'm borrowing the Hollyland Mars 300 wireless from the photo department at my work and using a Panasonic GH4 (US market if it matters) along with a Liliput A8 10.8" field monitor (supports 4K input)

What I know :

• It's not the HDMI cables as I've tested 3 mini-to-HDMI cables on the GH4 and I've tested 2 HDMI to HDMI cables to the monitor.
  • The GH4 connects to the monitor with all 3 mini-to-HDMI cables fine
  • The Mars 300 TX/RX unit works fine when testing it between my computer's 1080p output with a 1080p computer monitor on the RX side, with both HDMI-to-HDMI cables.
  • I know that 24Hz system frequency will not be supported on the Mars 300 (it only supports 480P@60Hz, 576P@50Hz, 720P@50/60Hz, 1080P@30/50/60Hz, so I have to use the GH4 in NTSC frequency with a 30p or 60p video mode (with 1080p down convert if I'm shooting in 4K), as 24p mode won't work even in 59.97Hz system frequency.
SoThe problem is, when I plug the TX end into the camera in any mode (supported or otherwise), the video link never comes on, and the GH4's LCD screen remains black, occasionally showing the normal screen in a slight flicker then resumes to being just black. Almost like it can't auto-negotiate an output resolution and frequency with the transmitter.

Never had this happen with any other HDMI monitor other outputs from my GH4. But I know my computer 1080p monitor will work directly with the GH4 and so will the Liliput A8. But the Mars 300 will not (but will work with my Liliput or Computer monitor with the Transmitter plugged into my desktop which puts out 1080P 60Hz)

The Video Indicator Light on the Mars 300 unit is just off which doesn't mean anything (as red would show for disconnected or pairing depending on flashing, green and yellow for connected normally in the manual). The Receiver unit will display on the Lilput to check for video source.

So.... I'm at a loss as to what I can do. As I've tried on the GH4
  • Set NTSC frequency and try each recording mode
  • Set PAL frequency and each recording mode
  • Set Cinema frequency even though I know it's not supported but trying anything
  • Tried 3 different cables as mentioned above (which I know support up to 4K 60Hz)
*shrug* I don't know...

KBeezie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Karl Blessing
But it will work with the Olympus E-M1 Mk1 and Panasonic GH1 (but both only do playback no live output but it works)

Edit : Later tonight I'll test a work around I just thought of with the assumption that a monitor will need to be on the camera anyways (gh4 to liliput a8, hdmi out of liliput to transmitter, then hdmi to second monitor from receiver). Since the person holding the camera will need to see just as much as the person using the wireless focusing system and it might accept the HDMI put on the liliput as a valid source.

For now I need to sleep and hope I can get it working before Saturday.

Last edited:

KBeezie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Karl Blessing
Couldn't sleep so went ahead and tested the work around.

Connecting the camera in this fashion :

GH4 (NTSC 59.94Hz System Frequency) with any of the following 4K30p (with 4K downconvert to 1080), FHD 30p, or FHD 60p
Plugged into the Liliput A8 10.8" Monitor
Then the HDMI out to the Mars 300 TX HDMI In
Then then the HDMI from the RX to a 1080p compatible monitor

That works, but not GH4 straight to the Mars 300.

Also in NTSC system frequency, any of the 24p (23.97) options will not work because they output 24Hz frequency on the HDMI, whereas both 30p and 60p modes will output 60Hz.

The PAL option will also work with this work-around in both 25p and 50p (the output frequency remains the same).

So it seems like this is how I'm going to have to do it in order to use the wireless HDMI bridge (which I'm only using to allow for a wireless focus operator to monitor and not for external recording) unless I can figure out why GH4 direct to the Mars 300 isn't working.

Wasabi Bob

Mu-43 All-Pro
This isn't an uncommon issue. There needs to be a "handshake" between the two devices, which in your case isn't occurring.Atamos and the Ninja had the same issue until they updated their firmware. Contact the "Mars" people and see if they offer an update. In general. monitors don't require this level of validation so they tend to be more liberal.

KBeezie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Karl Blessing
This isn't an uncommon issue. There needs to be a "handshake" between the two devices, which in your case isn't occurring.Atamos and the Ninja had the same issue until they updated their firmware. Contact the "Mars" people and see if they offer an update. In general. monitors don't require this level of validation so they tend to be more liberal.
Sent them an email earlier this morning so hoping to hear back from them. I do know that if they do come out with an update I'll have to update it OTG style via a flash drive. I'm crossing my fingers, but if the user manual is any indication of their clarity there may be some issues. At the same time when you consider it's $400 for a 300 feet wireless HDMI setup, you take a gamble.

KBeezie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Karl Blessing
A representative responded but doesn't make any sense to me

I just check with our engineers,video light has no color means there has no video source into the transmitter,they said you can set the picture display on the DC site of camera,then connect the Mars300,after that set the picture display back on the camera screen.Then it will work.
Best Regards

Josee Zhou
Sales Engineer

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom