Can't decide on lens? Feedback please.

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by anthonyw, Aug 15, 2012.

1. anthonyw

anthonyw Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 14, 2012
    I currently have the 20mm pancake lens and have been eyeing either the Nokton 25mm or Sigma 30mm 1.4 to possibly replace it.

After looking at various video it seems that either of those lenses can really get that "film" or "cinematic" look, and I think I might like a closer focal length better.

Not sure if I should get either the Nokton the Sigma with adapter, or just keep the 20mm. I'm currently going crazy trying to make up my mind. Has anyone used a combination of these lenses? Any feedback for me?

2. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Welcome!

Any reason you're not considering the PanaLeica 25mm? I've just returned the 20mm (faulty) and have decided to go for the 25mm instead.

3. anthonyw

anthonyw Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 14, 2012
    I haven't really considered it because I haven't seen any example footage that impresses me over the 20mm or as much as the Nokton or Sigma.

4. anthonyw

anthonyw Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 14, 2012
    Thank you for the input. I am mainly interested in doing music videos an have done some shots with the 20mm. I feel like the video I have right now is a little too "real life" or "non-cinematic". Granted, I am also getting used to the settings for what gives that feel the most and at the time didn't realize that I should stay on a shutter speed of about 1/50 if I'm going to shoot at 24p. I realized that I need to also get an ND fader, but I am still considering if I should get another lens that will be more appropriate for what I'm trying to achieve.

5. anthonyw

anthonyw Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 14, 2012
    Both day and night, outdoors.

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    For video, I would get the Nokton. For stills, I prefer the PL25.

7. anthonyw

anthonyw Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 14, 2012
    Thank you for the replies, after many hours of consideration, I've decided to go with the Sigma and Kipon adapter. I will be selling my 20mm pancake.