Can't decide - OM-D vs 60D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by retro, Dec 18, 2012.

1. retro

retro New to Mu-43

Feb 26, 2011
    I really want to love the OM-D, but I keep going back and forth between it and my 60D. I plan to keep one and sell the other. I don't really shoot RAW anymore, so having a top-notch JPEG camera is key. The OM-D files do seem better than the 60D (depending upon subject matter), but I find Canon's approach to skin tones and white balance better. For some reason Canon just does superb skin - I am missing something ? The other nitpick is that there something about the rendering of pictures from the 60D with my 50 1.4 that I cannot seem to match with the 60D and 40 1.8. I dunno if it's DOF, the 14 bit processing, or Canon's algorithms but 60D images seem almost 3D and natural whereas the OMD pictures feel flat. Thoughts ? Should I just keep the 60D and dump the OM-D ? I really want to love the Olympus, but I am still not sold :(
  2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Are you talking about the E-M5 and the 45/1.8 here?

Hard to know what you're looking at, without some samples. 14-bit processing is basically a buzzword. Most likely the difference is in WB and DoF, but again without samples we're just speculating...
    • Like Like x 1
  3. m43dex

m43dex Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2011
    I'm an old Nikon user so I'm not so familiar with Canon rendering. What I do know is that I am happy with the rendering of Jpegs from Olympus. When I shoot with the Olympus OM D and the 45mm1.8, I feel confident my images will be as good as they were with my old Nikon setup.

I would not rely on the word from strangers (although there's a nice knowledgeable crew here) to determine whether or not I wanted one camera over the other. I will rely on my eyes and taste. What looks visually good to you? The bottom line is you have to like the images. My suggestion is to pick the camera and the output that pleases you even if it is twice the weight. :)
  4. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    You could try turning the keep warm whitebalance setting off or on (whatever you prefer). I've owned the Canon 50f1.4 and did really enjoy it as well. Sounds like you're missing the shallow depth of field to me but if you post photos we can help more ;)
  5. Y2K

Y2K Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    Hi there, I have 60D with a pretty good set of lenses (EF 24-105mm L, Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Canon EF 60mm Macro, Canon EF 85mm f/1.8, Tamron AF 70-300mm) and I just recently purchased OM-D with a kit 12-50mm lens and also Panasonic 20mm 1.7 prime. I had the same thoughts since I love my 60D but I wanted something smaller and lighter (especially smaller lenses) and decided to give OM-D a shot. So I am in the same boat. Of course everyone needs to make their own decision, but let me say that I will be selling my Canon gear after using OM-D for just a few weeks. I just sold the 24-105mm lens and will be selling the rest shortly. The only reason why I would keep my 60D would be for action shots since in theory contrast focus in mirrorless is not as good as phase detection focus in DSLR so for continuous focus it is not as good. I am saying in theory because I did not have a situation yet where I would test one against the other in real world scenario. So if you shoot a lot of sports/moving targets and use continuous focus tracking on your 60D a lot, than I would keep 60D. Otherwise I feel that OM-D quality is as good and in some ways better and lenses are much more compact and affordable. Saturation, sharpness, etc. settings can be adjusted to make them more pleasing to you but personally I am blown away by OOC quality of the pictures in OM-D. I mostly shoot in manual or A or S priority modes and not a big fan of creative modes, but when I tried some of them on OM-D I was pleasantly surprised and liked them a lot. I am not even using the best micro 4/3 lenses yet and it is definitely a keeper for me. I have not picked up my 60D since I bought OM-D. I may get a grip for OM-D though since 60D feels definitely better in my hand. Here are some samples from my first trip with OM-D and most of the shots are OOC:

Good luck with your decision.
  6. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    retro, I've shot with a 60D on and off since it's introduction, and with the E-M5 for a while as well. Mostly JPEGs for me as well. I prefer the output of the E-M5 in most every way. 50/1.4 on the 60D will give you more shallow DOF than 45/1.8 on the E-M5, so if that is the critical difference to your eyes the 60D may be the way to go. Certainly don't let anyone tell you to pick the E-M5 because they think it is a better camera than the 60D.

I find the E-M5 to be noticeably better in low light, and to handle auto WB better. I don't think the low light performance is up for debate, but certainly the WB, and how skin tones are rendered, again comes down to some personal preferences.

I shot with the Sigma 50/1.4 for a while, and used the Canon 85/1.8 a lot. Both those lenses on the 60D yielded some really special shots. I wouldn't hesitate to grab either combo for an important opportunity. I'd just choose the E-M5 if I had that choice.
  7. bluzcity

bluzcity Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    I think you made a reasonable argument to sell your OMD. You love the quality of pictures you get from your 60D. Done deal. There is nothing better than shooting with the camera you love. Go with it and enjoy.
  8. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    The 3D rendering is from the Sigma lens. It has nothing to do with 60D body. I had 60D and 7D and sold them all. E-M5 is simply better.
  9. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    I agree on both counts - most likely what you're seeing is primarily WB and DoF differences between the two camera & lens combos.

I don't know about Olympus, but I needed to tweak the WB settings on most of my Panasonic cameras to be a notch warmer and more magenta to be happy with the WB out of camera. I would certainly suggest if you dislike skin tones on your current camera that you spend time adjusting the JPG color settings and WB settings in your camera before giving up on it.
  10. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Try the Portrait color setting for skin tones on the EM5 and see if that helps at all.
  11. Brian style

Brian style Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2012
    I own a 60d and rented the OMD with 25 1.4 over the weekend. I was extremely impressed with the IQ and colors I got out of the OMD (the 25mm was stupid sharp!) I thought the OMD would be uncomfortably small but it was actually easy to hold for me. I was staunch in my want for a VF but unless I was in a dark room/environment, I composed with the screen and loved the speed and convenience of the touch to shoot screen. I still very much love the dials for changing Ap and shutter without having to dig in menus since I'm a manual shooter 90% of the time.

I have no plans of getting rid of my 60d, but I didn't have any problems with the images out of the OMD, even without any processing them.

I don't believe you should TRY to love a camera. I think you already know you don't want the OMD. If you wanted it, you wouldn't need to "talk yourself into it". If it's not for you, it's not for you. There is also Panasonic to look into and the processing engine in those are different than the Olys. :)
  12. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    It's clear from your comments. Follow your heart. You'll have no problem selling the OMD.
  13. steven91

steven91 New to Mu-43

Dec 18, 2012
    My own personal choice is the OMD for general use. Its more compact and portable than the 60D and generally is a very responsive camera. Of course there are benefits to the 60d (bigger sensor for example).

Best option would be to see if you can test both cameras for a few days with various lenses, see what works for you.
  14. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    I'm not surprised that you find a 50mm 1.4 more "3D"" than a 90mm 3.5 equivalent. You may have a different opinion if you were comparing it to the Panny 25mm. Plus you could spend a bit of time with the jpeg settings on the E-M5 to get something you prefer. Personally I think Canon skin tones are foul.

But as others have said. Go with your gut. The E-M5 isn't a magic photography machine, regardless opf the reviews. It's just a camera. And if it's a camera that's not getting used then it's useless.

15. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    I had both the 60d and E-M5 and sold the 60d...and a 7d.

But the reason for that was to get a 5dII and I have a 6d on the way. Perhaps you should sell both and get a 6d? Just kidding!

It's your choice as others stated above.
  16. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    Try carrying the 60d around for a day with 4 lenses, then do the same with the E-M5. Then let your back decide which to keep. :)
  17. gotak

gotak Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    I haven't made the choice yet myself. But aside from servo AF there's not much keeping me with the 2 7Ds I have.

In the end the chances are there that I would sell all the canon stuff to fund a full m4/3 system. The lenses costs less so I might end up with more stuff or some cash left over for other things at the end.

I personally find that the white balance to be similar on both. On AWB the olympus is nailing it correctly more often but the canon is more consistent in what it picks while the olympus can swing between right and quite wrong. I rarely shoot jpegs anyhow so it doesn't bother me. Skin tones I don't know, once I post process that's not always going to look exactly like original anyhow.

I don't think the so called image quality should be the deciding factor. Both cameras produce roughly the same "quality" colours and AWB aside. For me the o-md is just easier to live with day to day. It makes a great street and travel camera and that's where I find the most use day to day.
  18. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Well, as others have mentioned, you're making a bit of an apples and oranges comparison. I, for one, like jpegs from both manufacturers quite a bit. Probably my two favorite jpeg rendering styles(haven't tried fuji enough though).

Some thoughts:
    -Make sure you have "keep warm color off" in the OM-D's menu. You could also try altering the overall white balance shift on your OM-D. I currently have mine at G -2, for example, since as a general rule I dislike green tints to my images.

-More importantly, those are two pretty different lenses. the 50mm f1.4 is great, as is the 45mm f1.8, but they are rather different regarding DoF, for one. In FF terms, the 50mm f1.4 is something like an 80mm f2.4, wheras the 45mm f1.8 is more like a 90mm f3.5. It's pretty significant DoF difference, and an inherent limitation to M4/3. If you want the most "3D" rendering from M4/3 I'd suggest the 25mm f1.4 and the 75mm f1.8, which seem to have the most 3D feel to them I've seen, particularly the latter which just seems like it can't produce a bad image. Oh, the voigtlanders perhaps even more so, but those are ridiculously expensive.

-Related to the above, I love my 45mm f1.8. it's my most used lens. But often times I vastly prefer the way my old adapted manual focus Canon FD 50mm F1.4 renders images, despite clearly being the technically inferior lens. It has a much more "cinematic" feel to it. Character. The two just produce very very different feeling images. To add to this, I'm a RAW shooter 99% of the time, yet the lenses just produce very different images.

-The OM-D's sensor is technically better than the 60D's if you care about DXO at all. I don't care much, but it can be a useful reference.

So I'd say give the OM-D another shot, make sure you have the colors and WB settings to your liking. I think the OM-D is the better camera, having used both, but if after equalizing parameters you still prefer the Canon's rendering, then what are you still doing with the Canon? The end result is what matters here!
  19. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I have a 7D, which has some similarities to the 60D. Same sensor, but more processors and a better AF system.

Anyway, I got the EM-5, and find that it can replace my 7D in about 90% of what I shoot. The ONLY place I can think of that my 7D will do better is at motorsports, like the recent F1 race in Austin. The 7D is great for that.

The difference between a 60D and EM-5 will be even smaller, as the 60D has a more 'consumer' type AF system, which is will not be as fast and accurate as the 7D.

Personally if the choice is between the 60D and EM-5, I'd get the EM-5. There are some good lenses available on the micro 4/3 platform, PLUS you can easily use old manual lenses with inexpensive adapters, greatly expanding the number of lenses you can use. It's fast enough and takes great photos, and it's also smaller and more compact, which will be great for traveling. My 7D with the battery grip is HUGE, and it weighs a lot more than the EM-5. So if I don't end up selling the 7D, I'll probably only use it rarely.
  20. jgharold

jgharold Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2012
    I was in the same boat as you are many months ago. Take a look at my site which is built from images taken with my OM-D. I love it and as technology continues to develop it will only get better. James Harold Photography If you have any questions let me know.