1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Can't decide between keeping Panasonic 20 1.7 or 25 1.4

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by colbycheese, May 25, 2015.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I cant decide which lens to keep. I was planning on selling either my Panasonic 20mm or 25mm. I would like to be able to put the money towards the next lens i want to get, which is either going to be the 12mm samyang or a fisheye (probably the 8mm) I haven't used the Panasonic 25mm in a while and i first thought about selling that. I enjoy the results the 20mm give me, and I have heard that it is slightly sharper than the 25mm. However i still cant decide which one to sell and which to keep. In a perfect world i would keep both but because the focal length is so close it dosen't seem worth it to keep both. I think i could get around 450 for the 25mm, and probably 300 max for the 20mm, since i bought it used (maybe less, I would have to check) So i am asking, if you could only have the 20mm or 25mm which one would you take?

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Realistically, I think you are looking at $225 for the 20mm and $375 for the 25mm, excluding shipping and fees.

If you like them both equally, I'd keep the 20mm since it is much smaller and cheaper.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Try shooting the pl25 in 3:2 for some days. the tigher view of the 25 will look a little wider. becouse in my book the IQ from 25 is playing in another league. and besides size n prize n fov difference, the 25 is a unique and fabulous lens. I know ur struggle, I had three or four pl25 and 4 p20.... but ended up with... p20. size, price and fov won over IQ. :)

4. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I have the 20 and am even going to buy the mkII version for aesthetics. I don't like the thick diameter but I do like its pancake length as to be the lens that rivals the 14 as far as in-the-pocket, low-light, discreet lens. 20 is the better lens, obviously, but the 14 by all means is smaller. Doesn't rub your right knuckles when holding the smaller cameras.

For those who always carry a larger bag and have a Sony RX100iii for discreetness, then I would say the 25 (paired with the 15 or 17) would be the better animal. For me, I have the 14, 20, and adapted 35. In all honesty at this point in time (yes, money is a factor for me), although I'd like to to have the 15/1.7, I'm thinking to add the O25 to my 14 and 20 (smaller and cheaper than the PL25). I'll sell my 30/2.8 to do this as I rarely use that [uber-sharp] Sigma gem.

So, those are two paragraphs of mess but to summarize, the 20 wins for small + quality + price + IQ. No lens ever tops it (I invite you to find one so I can buy it!). But the first question is, do you need small or cheap? If not, I'd go 15 and 25 ($1000 +/-). If yes, 14 and 20 and/or O25 (under $700 used for all three).

Finally, let's say someone gave me $3000 for all my gear. I'd probably buy a PL7 with these lenses: 7.5, 15, O25, 12-32, 35-100, 42/1.7, and 75/1.8. That shows that the 15 beats the 14's crappy distortion and although I haven't used the 17, I hear the 15 is better. I'd take the O25 over the P20 because of more separation, fewer focus whoas, and smaller diameter. I in no situation would pay for the PL25 because it's too large for my liking. I have the 40-150 now but the 35-100 is smaller....I write this paragraph to show my inclination towards small size (which omits the 20 but the 12-32 is a pancake). To conclude: only you can decide if the 20 has a place for you or not.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    If it was me, I'd keep the 25 only because the 20 is an odd focal length. It sits in between a 17 and the 25 which are more classic lengths. I'd sell the 20 and buy the P15/1.7, thereby having a 30mm and 50mm along with a 8mm fisheye or 12mm wide which IMO would be more versatile than just having a 20mm and a 8mm or 12mm which would leave a big gap.

6. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    I see similar threads on this forum from time to time and think to myself that I wouldn't want to be without both. Don't sell any of them I say, save up for the third lens instead, that makes better sense to me. Economically speaking, it's not like selling a red dot 35mm/f1.4 to buy a 50mm/f0.95 is being considered here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    I've had the p20 for a few years, and the pl25 for a few months. I can see the benefits of the pl25 (IQ, focus speed, better separation etc) but I'm less comfortable with the 25mm FL. I hope to be able to keep both, but if I was forced to choose just one it would be the p20.

But it's a very personal decision, can't really speak for anyone else.

Rob

8. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I have the P20 and I'm considering replacing it with the O25 (AF, tighter focal length, etc.). I probably won't do it because the small size wins.

• Like Like x 1
  9. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    The thing is you're putting yourself in a position where you have to decide that one lens isn't (as) good, that's what doesn't sit right with me, they're both quality so, once again, keep both.

10. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Think about it a bit, which one are you more likely to put on your camera when you're heading out the door? Keep that one.

This part I really don't understand...
    You have both lenses, you know what the images look like first hand.What difference does it make what you've heard? Between these two lenses you really can't make a bad choice.

Fred

• Agree Agree x 7
  11. unkabin

unkabin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    I'll third the keep both. I had the 20, added the 25, reluctantly sold the 25, and then bought it back.

Why both? The 20 is a great lens on a small camera, one that I take everywhere with me on a GX1. Just something to have on hand that takes great snapshots, photos of opportunity, out with friends and family. The 25 I use more often when I'm more seriously focused on taking photos of people. It renders candids and portraits so nicely in groups or solo. I find it extremely versatile while also offering a more composed (as in composition) feel than the 20 which acts--in my hands anyway--much more like a 35 than a 50 (in "full-frame" language).

Obviously not everyone has my wants and tastes, but I guess my point is that they aren't mutually exclusive lenses by any means. Between difference in form and in focal length, they are different animals.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    Own both, and IMHO, 25 has better "pop." If size is an issue for you then 20mm is the clear winner but that aside, I'd pick the 25mm.

Check out the native lens gallery for both.

13. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you have an abundance of funds, then I certainly agree.

However, if you do not, then it can be less productive to cluster all your resources around that very similar focal length range. OP made it sound like he wanted something wide but couldn't afford it. So it certainly makes sense to spread the kit around to accomplish that if needed.

That's why I went Oly 25mm f1.8. Nice compromise on both (without really compromising...)

14. undergrd

undergrd Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    Singapore
    I used to own both the Pany 20 and the 25. In the end I sold away the 25 as I prefer the size of the 20. In my case, compact size wins.

15. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    AF speed and reliability would be the decision maker for me. Faster, more reliable = more keeper shots to choose from.

A couple of steps forward or backward to get the framing j want doesn't seem as important as grabbing shots reliably, especially when walking around.

Do you experience a difference in AF between the two?

16. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I love the 20. Its my most used m43 lens. A 50 mm equivalent is too narrow for me as a walk around lens, and I can see a significant difference optically between the P20 and O17, so the 20 wins by default. Despite that, I think its optically fantastic. It is different than the PL25 (I would call it a more natural rendering) but still really good. The only complaint optically is that depending on the light, occasionally the bokeh will will have a slight jitter (bright daylight, close focus, far background). But that is only occasionally, and almost all lenses do this under certain conditions (including the PL25).

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  17. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    My only real issue with the 20mm optically is that it can flare sometimes if the sun's in the frame, and it's so tiny that I never want to put a hood on it. I do have a little collapsible rubber one, maybe I should do some tests...

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Last edited: May 26, 2015
  19. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Ahhh, good idea. I already have a 46mm "dummy ring" from a no-name UV filter I took the glass out of, so as not to damage the lens when it retracts when I have a hood or step-up ring on.

I already replaced the lens cap on my 20mm anyway, since the stupid stock Lumix cap with the domed, raised 3D lettering doesn't sit flat on a surface while changing lenses. Who's brilliant idea was that?

20. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Ya this is exactly what i meant to say. I wanted to keep one lens in the 20-30 range so i can buy another one to cover the narrow range. I already have some 50mm and up legacy lenses, so i am covered on the telephoto end of things. Of course if i had the money i would keep both the 25mm and the 20mm but its not a perfect world, and i would like to experiment with different styles of photography.