Can't decide between a GM1 and E-M10.

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by colbycheese, May 20, 2015.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I have decided that it is time to upgrade. I will be selling both my current cameras and wanted to either upgrade to the GM1 or the EM10. They are both around the same price in local stores near me so now it is just a matter of deciding between the 2. Which one is the better camera, and which one takes better pictures. I have a feeling there is very little difference but would like another opinion. Would you get the EM10 or the GM1? Both of them tick almost all the boxes: lightweight, focus peaking, etc. The only advantage the EM10 has that i can tell is the viewfinder and image stabilization built into the body.
  2. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    I picked the E-M10 just over a year ago for my work and personal use. The IBIS works really well and the viewfinder is quite good. I use the LCD screen for those times I have to hold the camera at arm's length, but really appreciate the EVF when shooting in bright light.
    I'm a former 35mm SLR user, so anything without a good clear view under all lighting conditions is important to me. I also really appreciate the SCP on the E-M10. It's quite handy for changing ISO and a couple of other items.
    To be perfectly fair, I've never used the GM1, so can't comment on its strong points.
  3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've used the E-M5 and GM1 side by side, now E-M1 and GM5 side by side. The OM-Ds are better stills cameras in just about every way. GMs has better video, are smaller, have electronic shutter, but that's it. Handling is worse, no EVF or worse EVF, 1/500s max mechanical shutter, no mechanical shutter at all for manual lenses, 1/50s flash sync speed, less battery life, no IBIS. But really small and unobtrusive with a prime.

I use the OM-D for serious shooting, except when the discreteness is important. But I like taking the GM to social events and in my day bag for work.
  4. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I have a GM1 and I'm not jiving with it. I have the Hosen Grip but the camera handles better without it. The magnify is awkward for MF lenses. There's no grip that I like for MF lenses. In fact, if you consider using any lenses larger than the 45/1.8 I would stay away from the GM1 and get what I consider its bigger brother the PL7. And the E10 is the PL7's bigger brother! :)
  5. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Why can't you use the mechanical shutter for manual lenses? That is kinda silly
  6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    If you can't decide between an EM10 and a GM1, then you don't have a clear picture of what you want in a camera. They're wildly different in everything except maybe the sensor performance. The GM1 is for a pancake lens and to fit in a large pocket. The EM10 is an all-purpose workhorse with twin control dials and an EVF. The shooting experience would be completely different.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Reza Travilla
    buy both :biggrin:

then if you don't like one of them, just sell it.
  8. physicsdude

physicsdude Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2014
    You can currently get the gm1 with the 12-32mm at Adorama for 450.
    That looks like a good deal for that combo. Really pocketable.

Requires mail in rebate and is including a gift card, I think.
  9. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    If it'll be your sole camera, the E-M10. It's a more advanced camera with better size to handle a variety of lenses. The IBIS is wonderful to have as well.

While the GM1 is nice, I don't think I could use one as my main camera due to the lack of VF and it's small size for an ILC. As a second body, the GM1 would make a good argument for itself where the size would play to an advantage.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I agree. Another weird technical limitation with their stepper motor shutter? All the current models with that shutter (GM1, GM5, GF7) have the same limitations of 1/500s mechanical, 1/50s flash sync, no mechanical shutter for non-electronic lens.
  11. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    I used a GM1 as a sole camera for three months and never felt restricted by it's electronic shutter and I don't understand why people find using longer/larger lenses on the GM1 a concern. Unless you shoot one-handed or want to mount on certain tripod plates using larger lenses isn't an issue (well not for me...) although the Panasonic grip does improve handling no end.

I ended up getting a GX7 rather than the EM10 as a second body, and I think if you're comparing bodies those two are closer matches.
    I preferred the menus and handling of the GX7 over the EM10, but it really is a case of personal preference.

If IBIS and an EVF are deal breakers then obviously don't look at the GM1 - for me they're nice to have features, but I can't say I generally miss them when using the GM1 over the GX7. Changing aperture on the GX7 is slightly quicker than with the GM1 (on the GM1 I probably change more settings using the excellent touchscreen rather than the slightly fiddly controls). I don't use flash much, but the GM1 isn't for serious flash users either. The big advantage of the GX7 for me is the tilt screen when I'm shooting flowers. The big advantage of the GM1 over any other m43 is size - I can easily carry it anywhere. With a smallish lens it fits in a coat/jacket outside pocket easily and takes up minimal space in my briefcase for work.

I'd add the GX7 to your shortlist (price permitting) and try all three. Image wise the quality of output is going to be minimally different - all are good cameras.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    In my mind the prime advantage of the GM1 over any other is its form factor, it has to be the smallest M4/3 on the market. I have the GM5 which I bought principally for street work. With the 15mm it allows me to get imbetween people and shoot at close range, and generally you get away with it because it looks like a toy, a child's camera. Difference between the GM1 and the GM5 is principally the EVF, and I bought it based on that mainly, plus it has slightly better controls in my opinion. If I was buying again, I'd probably go for the cheaper GM1 as I find I don't use the EVF as much as I thought I would.
    If however the choice is for your principal camera, not a second or third nice to have, I'd go for the more versatile EM10.
  14. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I'd agree with this. If you can get the GX7 for around the same price as the E-M10, it deserves consideration. I found it to be have better ergonomics, better features, and higher build quality in my testing.
  15. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    :thiagree: This seems like saying: I need a car, but I can't decide between a Smart Coupe and a Ford Explorer. Both are fine, but they serve different purposes.
  16. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

GX7 was really designed to compete with the E-P5 (and arguably E-M5 series). It's a tier above the E-M10 if you ask me.
  17. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    I have both the E-M10 and GX7 and agree they both deserve consideration, but I actually prefer the ergonomics of the E-M10 for my hands. It's worth trying both since we are all different. There are things I prefer about the E-M10 (e.g. ergonomics and better IBIS that gives me a much higher keeper rate on hand held macro than the GX7) and some I prefer about the GX7 (e.g. silent shutter, 1/8000, tilting EVF, easier to use touch screen, better focus peaking).
    Last edited: May 21, 2015
  18. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Question, do people consider the EM10 a lower-caliber entry simply because of the lower price point? I don't see that camera as inferior in any way to the GX7/EP5/EM5 etc.
  19. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    There's no denying it's a capable and very compact body, but it doesn't have the little extras that come with the top of the line bodies. Things like the 1/8000s max shutter speed (instead of 1/4000s); EVFs with higher resolution and magnification (2.36M dot @ 1.39x vs 1.44M dot @ 1.15x); magnesium alloy bodies (instead of aluminum frame), and weather sealing in the case of the E-M5; more direct controls (the 2x2 switch on the E-P5, the AF/MF toggle and additional buttons on the GX7, for instance); 5-axis IBIS for the E-P/M5 (instead of 3-axis). The GX7 also has great extras like much better video quality, the silent shutter, tilting EVF, better focus peaking, and better touchscreen and Wifi implementations.

It's like comparing a Nikon D300s vs. a D7100. The D7100 might be better in basically every way, but the D300s is clearly a much higher-end body.
  20. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

D300s is a LOT older than a GX7!! Maybe we can find something newer to compare? :)