Can't believe it! I got my OMD!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gardengirl13, Jul 6, 2012.

1. gardengirl13

gardengirl13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 26, 2012
    US
    OK so I decided the OMD was the way to go. I ordered it from Adorama on tuesday lunchtimeish. An hour later I got a nice e-mail from them saying they're very sorry but it's on backorder with no known arrival date. Then 5 hours later I got notice that it shipped! Too bad the 4th was a holiday, had to wait until last night to get UPS delivery.

Now without having the whole manual I had some trouble shooting. I'm so used to the 60D it's second nature. I barely have to look to see what I'm doing. I didn't know I used the * button so much! Now I have to figure out if there is a button I can use for that. It's trouble in the spots I knew it would be (the view finder makes me feel car sick- that was unexpected) I had a feeling I'd miss looking through the 60D, true, I worried about getting into the menu instead of top/back buttons/wheels, we'll see what can be done about that. i worry slightly about the kit zoom, but didn't want to order any primes until I know I'm switching. I can get very similar IQ as my 60D gave me, but it's harder work to get that IQ. I'm hoping it'll get easier. The ergonomics is a bit hard on me. I'm slowly getting used to it, but I really hate having to put my pinkie under the camera for support, and I feel like it really needs two hands since I can't support the weight right with just one. I do shoot one handed sometimes with the 60D since I need to hold reflectors for some things (though this is not often, and I may get something different that I can prop up instead.)

So here's a link to my photos so far. Let me know if I can do anything with the camera to make it easier on me. So far I think it's a great little camera. I'm still very much on the fence about it vs the 60D. I'll be running it through better with the printed manual and when I have more time over the weekend.

omd test Photo Gallery by gardengirl13 at pbase.com

2. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    :biggrin: Now I've got that old song in my head: "I want my, I want my, I want my OM-D"

• Like Like x 2
  3. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Re the ergonomics and one hand shooting, I'd suggest trying a grip. I haven't bought one yet for my OM-D but I did buy the large grip for my E-P3 and it made a huge difference, much more comfortable and better control. I find the OM-D without a grip much better than the E-P3 with no grip or the standard grip, but not as good as the E-P3 with a grip.

Most of the time I'm happy with my OM-D the way it is so I haven't succumbed to the grip as yet. I did check my local camera store the other day but they didn't have one in stock or I might well have walked out with one. I haven't been bothered enough to order one so I'm waiting to get the chance to try one in a shop first before making up my mind.

Don't know if you will want to retire your 60D but I liked your shots. Enjoy the new "toy".

4. c_henry

c_henry Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    Congrats on getting your OM-D!

I got the grip as part of the Olympus promotion, makes hold the OM-D nicer when you've a larger lens on there. The 'landscape' part of the grip is a nice compromise for weight, size and comfort. Adding the 'portrait' section is even nicer (to me) but make it a lot bigger and slightly heavier.

Colin

5. Brownian

Brownian Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    Ireland
    Congratulations.

The grip would transform it for one-hand shooting. The E-M5 is very customisable so you should be able to set it up to make it more ergonomically friendly for you. The familiar is almost always more comfortable to deal with than the unfamiliar - until it becomes the familiar.

If the kit zoom is the 12-50, I think you will find it is very capable unless you need fast and shallow.

6. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I could see the menu system being a challenge for someone coming from a different system. It's not very transparent and the manual is... There is a user guide on dpreview that you might find helpful. And Pekka Potka has a blog in which he discusses the E-M5 and lots of m43 stuff fairly extensively. His website is pekkapotka - Home. I could see folks finding the buttons and dials a bit cramped but that's kind of the price one pays for the size. The camera is very customizable. For example I have the movie button set to switch from autofocus to manual focus, the right arrow button to change iso, the down arrow button to change shooting modes, etc. I've been using the horizontal grip and find it really improves handling. I'll use the vertical grip occasionally, probably more after I finally get a 2nd battery, but the horizontal grip is always on. Wish it was available separately. The 12-50 is very versatile and has features not generally found in kit lenses. But optically I find it to be a kit lens. Certainly doesn't match the regular 4/3 12-60. And not surprisingly, the PL25 and Oly 45 produce files that retain a good bit more detail when scrutinized. I think as you become more comfortable with the camera you'll find it a very flexible tool.

7. It's fairly easy to shoot the E-M5 one handed and maintain a stable grip, but a bit unconventional.

P5020107-PRR.

8. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I've also migrated from a 60D to the E-M5. Familiarity will make the E-M5 not so tough to use I'm sure, but I also don't think it will ever be as easy as a larger DSLR with more accessible controls. That's a tradeoff for size that we all have to place a value on.

Regarding holding the E-M5, I'm still uncertain whether it is a keeper for me. I need to add some kind of grip. Don't want the battery grip portion or the price tage of the Oly grip, so I'm considering the one third party that I see out there at the moment. Hopefully some other options will be offered before too long. I'd like to be able to comfortably shoot one-handed, which I cannot do now.

9. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    GardenGirl13 -

I'll chime in with those recommending the grip. Not inexpensive, and I imagine that third party manufacturers will crank up production if the OM-D sells in sufficient numbers. Even though costly it is, to me, worth the money. It does give one an improved grip, allows for more battery run time, and of course is very nice for portrait format photos. It is not so large as to spoil the convenience of the camera's small footprint.

I've moved from a Nikon D300 with grip to the OM-D and am really enjoying the ease with which the OM-D can be carried. One does give up some functionality (there just isn't enough real estate on the OM-D to replicate the wonderful button controls on the D300). In the Nikon world, as I recall, it was about a year before the 3rd party grips starting rolling out for the D300 - and they were a fraction of the cost of the Nikon OEM unit.

Congratulations on the acquisition of the OM-D; once the initial learning curve is over I think you'll find it a nice bit of gear.

Regards,

Jim

10. toobacat

toobacat Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2012
    Your pictures look good and so does your garden!

11. gardengirl13

gardengirl13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 26, 2012
    US
    Thanks everyone! I really love this forum! Everyone is so helpful.

After running the battery out twice since thursday night I'm going to add a backup battery to my must have list. Going through the extended manual I'm figuring more out. I have the canon * button (AEL) on Fn2 and manual focus on Fn1, and will probably do ISO on one other button for now and it seems to be working well. I finally figured out how to get into the macro mode on the lens (duh) and can now get some better closeups. I also figured out that the setting was on Ln instead of Lsf so that could be part of the reason I'm getting smudgy backgrounds (that and not using a prime.) I shot a video of my husband playing guitar in a dark room and it came out pretty good. I'll just have to figure out how to get video set on MF as it kept trying to AF while shooting which made it slightly annoying. But using the grainy b&w while shooting video was quite fun. Can't wait to mess around with that more.

I'll look into the grip. I really don't want to add more weight as I'm looking for the heavier primes, I'll have to see about it. But after shooting the last 3 days I can say I am getting used to it. I have found that I will carry it completely different from the 60D. But I can shoot one handed now. It's not ideal, but I'm getting the hang of it. Having it on my shoulder I can't even tell it's there! It's wonderful!

I think the big thing for me is that it's my health making me do this more then me just wanting to. My husband keeps saying it's not your health dictating that you have to do this, you're wanting to do it to keep shooting. And that's a great thing! He says I'm thinking of it the wrong way. ha ha! Well I'm getting it. yes it's a compromise. Yes it'll be a hard transition. But if it means I can keep doing something that I've been doing since age 5, then so be it. I love snapping photos. Even if it's just my garden! Going around for well over an hour today and I didn't even notice! With the 60D after 15 minutes I'd have to take a rest. My back/neck/hips hurt more from running around after the hummingbird moth for so long then from the weight of the camera!

So far I think I'm 85% over that fence. I want to print a couple photos to see how they look at 16x20 (my normal print size for the house) and see if I can see that smudging. If it's not bad, then it'll be 98%. Not 100% due to the comfort of the 60D vs the OMD, but that's something I'll have to live with. I think I made the right choice with the OMD!!

12. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Finding the ideal way to hold the E-M5 is different for everyone - I still find my 5DII by far the most comfortable camera to hold and operate, but then I realize how bulky and heavy it is and remember why it doesn't leave the house with me quite as often as I'd like. The one thing I did in all modes is make the front (shutter) dial the 'main' control (aperture in Av mode, shutter in Tv mode) and the rear dial exposure compensation. I also operate both dials with my index finger and keep the thumb firmly on the rest, making for much easier one-handed operation.

16x20 prints should come out great - print is far more forgiving than monitors are. Have fun!